VC's 30 Days of Fright! Film Festival 2 (2015)

I like boobies and scary movies.

I also like these things but I was an English Lit major so sometimes I can't help but view things through a feminist lens.

80s horror movies are my favorite, but goddamn are most of them misogonyst and regressive. Doesn't mean you can't (or I dont) enjoy them for what they are.

I also like these things but I was an English Lit major so sometimes I can't help but view things through a feminist lens.

80s horror movies are my favorite, but goddamn are most of them misogonyst and regressive. Doesn't mean you can't (or I dont) enjoy them for what they are.

English Lit/Screenwriting major here. Can Confirm this. What's your favorite horror film?

Integrated Language Arts Major here...(basically the same thing, but I am a licensed teacher) 

I'm trying to think of which ones are misogynist. I guess you could say Friday The 13th is to some extent because a lot of those films are about the "boobies" and "violence" but for the most part I feel like a lot of those films are pretty progressive. Take for example the Nightmare On Elm Street films...Heather Lagencamp as Nancy is my favorite female protagonist of all time. She overcomes Freddy who is basically the epitome of violence, sex and the destruction of innocence (whether you take the stance that he is a child killer or a child molester I feel that it can be used in the same context.) Also the second Nightmare on Elm Street is pretty interesting in terms of gay culture...I mean  if you put on a different lens the whole film is about the main character Mark coming to terms with the fact that he is gay. Even  the third fourth and fifth (even though the fifth one is absolutely horrible) have strong female leads...

Generally I think horror really takes these "taboo" subjects and makes them accessible to the mainstream...the subtext is the most interesting part...

Even the first Sleepaway Camp....That is one of my favorite horror films because it is all about gender roles and that you cannot change who you are inside...Just because your outside says you are a girl, it doesn't mean you are one...This is something that we are able to discuss now but was completely off the table when the film was made in 1983

I am so happy to see so many other feminists on this board...it gives me so much hope for the world

A lot of the misogony is subtext stuff. Like how the "final girl" is usually the "innocent" or virginal one. The victims are being punished for their sexuality/sins. There's a lot of that shit in slashers.

Spoilers for Scream coming up SPOILERS FOR SCREAM BELOW ALSO WHY HAVEN'T YOU SEEN SCREAM YET IT'S 2014 DAWG

There's a LOT of stuff you can read into with Scream. I'll focus on the final girl thing though. The killer specifically coerces Neve Campbell into sex so that she can't be the final girl. Of course Scream is a deconstruction/satire so it says "fuck that" and she defeats the killer anyways.

A lot of more modern horror and even some 80s stuff does comment on or subvert the misogony of the genre.

A lot of the misogony is subtext stuff. Like how the "final girl" is usually the "innocent" or virginal one. The victims are being punished for their sexuality/sins. There's a lot of that shit in slashers.

see this stuff is fascinating too me...

Are they really being "punished" or is that what our "christian american outlook" dictates. I wonder if sometimes we project this idea of "punishment for sins" because it is so cultural for us...

I'm not saying no films bring this up, but usually the ones that do bring it up in a religious context...

I think the horror icons prey on fear...the kids only get killed when they become afraid, but the smart ones usually survive...usually the strong woman who has made intelligent and responsible decisions...

Also, look at Martyrs for the idea that women are stronger than men and always have been...thats why they are always used as the realistic heroines in our fiction...

Most superhero hero's are fantasy male projections that for the most part cannot become a reality

Most female horror heroes are so because they can possess the same qualities that we can achieve in every day life...

Or maybe I am just talking out of my asshole...haha

Boobies and violence/gore do not mix. Keep them separate.

It depends on the context, I feel like it played a role in the first wave of slasher films, more prevalent with the Friday The 13th plot. Sex sells, nudity adds to the debauchery, and so forth. It's pretty ridiculous when straight to Netflix d-horror flicks cram 23 fake boobs into a 93 minute movie. Boob related murder scenes are the worse. Has anyone here seen Jersey Shore Massacre? There's a very drawn out shower scene that is anything but scary, just embarrassing.

Anyways, all the characters on tonight's movie choice are horrible! Aside from the love interest and the chubby gay dude I want to see all these shitty kids get regulated on! Great selection!

Can I just say I love that the horror thread of all places is where apparently everyone is a feminist

see this stuff is fascinating too me...

Are they really being "punished" or is that what our "christian american outlook" dictates. I wonder if sometimes we project this idea of "punishment for sins" because it is so cultural for us...

I'm not saying no films bring this up, but usually the ones that do bring it up in a religious context...

I think the horror icons prey on fear...the kids only get killed when they become afraid, but the smart ones usually survive...usually the strong woman who has made intelligent and responsible decisions...

In Friday the 13th is explicitly about punishment. Yeah, there are some randos killed an not EVERYONE who gets killed is promiscuous or doing drugs, but Pamela Vorhees is specifically trying to punish camp counselors because of the death of her son. So that kind of carries over into the sequels where it's Jason doing the killing. 

Other slashers may not have this explicitly in the text and not every kill is someone doing "wrong" but it's still there under the surface.

Anyways, all the characters on tonight's movie choice are horrible! Aside from the love interest and the chubby gay dude I want to see all these shitty kids get regulated on! Great selection!

:wub:

I agree though, the chubby gay friend was absolutely my favorite character by leaps and bounds haha. I'm glad most of you seemed to have a good time with it! It's definitely my favorite campy slasher since Hatchet (which I ADORE) solely because it's just so much dang fun. It's like a bad 90s teen movie where there just so happens to also be a killer clown present in the best way possible. Also, nothing warms my heart quite like over the top practical effects.

Since I missed discussing it last night: I loved The Poughkeepsie Tapes, but it's always been one of those movies I have a hard time getting myself to rewatch simply because it made me feel so dirty, which is honestly quite rare for me. Just such an unnerving film in my opinion. 

Since I missed discussing it last night: I loved The Poughkeepsie Tapes, but it's always been one of those movies I have a hard time getting myself to rewatch simply because it made me feel so dirty, which is honestly quite rare for me. Just such an unnerving film in my opinion. 

Wasn't a huge fan of Poughkeepsie Tapes...My wife and I were really bored honestly...I hope I don't come off as a douche by saying that but I felt like I spent the whole time waiting for something to happen and she fell asleap halfway through which KeepDoubting will tell you is a common occurance...

I was on board pretty much until I saw him in the Phantom of the Paradise mask and cape making that girl call herself slave...that was a little silly. Also, I feel like If I would have seen this in like 2008 I would have loved it. I don't know if it is because I am getting old or because I feel like I have seen better found footage movies that it just didn't work for me...

Stitches on the other hand...fucking brilliant!!

On that note: my second selection goes to some pretty depraved places so I'll definitely try to make sure to give fair warning around the time that rolls around.

Same here with one of my choices. It will read something like: Don't watch this if you are pregnant or with someone who is pregnant.