The Original Cassette Collective Thread

Hey guys, we're running low on all of our releases if you're interested in snagging them before they're gone. The Halloween "Fear Mint" split will never be pressed again and we only have 3 copies left. Our most recent release "September" may not be re-issued either. However, we're going to re-issue a second press of The Obsessives "Manners" shortly, hop on the first press now if you want.

ALSO - We are announcing NMR004 one week from today, and I think it's going to be fairly big. Stay tuned!

Below is a picture of September's tape, get one before they're gone!

NMR003_Promo.jpg

www.wearenearmint.com

New batch from Tranquility Tapes...

http://tranquilitytapes.blogspot.com/

Quicksails - Spillage c34 
TQ72: Edition of 100 

Quicksails_zpsb0a26c4d.jpg

A monster percussionist for the furious jazz trio Tiger Hatchery, Chicago's Ben Billington has built an impressive catalog over the past few years as Quicksails by bringing his chops to the solo synthesizer game. Those familiar with the project's kaleidoscopic swirl of synths and hand percussion will find plenty to love on Spillage. With remarkable ability to juggle so many different elements in each composition, what might sound like a mess in less capable hands flows gloriously with Billington at the helm. There are moments of surprise here as well, with certain tracks showing a much more restrained palate than usual and introducing piano as well as vocals by Emme Williams into the mix. Altogether this an extended half hour of beautiful chaos you'll want to pour over you again and again. Pro-dubbed and imprinted chrome cassettes, featuring designs by Caroline Teagle. Comes with a free digital download.

Witchbeam - Shadow Musick Vol. 2 c30 
TQ71: Edition of 100 

Witchbeam_zps73f368a0.jpg

At long last, we're thrilled to share the second volume of Witchbeam'sShadow Musick series. Fans of the first volume will find plenty to love here as Witchbeam explores new realms of dark noise and even ventures into some unanticipated genres along the way. Vol. 2 features an especially potent blend of minimal synth exercises, eerily melodic drones, and pummeling rhythms. The tape is filled to the brim with mysterious sounds that will creep down your spine and disorient you with their delightful use of the stereo field. Shutter the windows, light some candles, pour a glass of your favorite spirits, and let yourself be intoxicated by the sounds of the shadows. Pro-dubbed and imprinted chrome cassettes, featuring designs by Caroline Teagle. Comes with a free digital download.

OLD SVRFERS - Ain't Scared of Shaka c41 
TQ70: Edition of 100 

OLDSVRFERS_zps6873cd69.jpg

OLD SVRFERS is the years-in-the-making collaborative brainchild of Josh Mason and Brad Rose (Charlatan, Altar Eagle). While elements of each musician's signature sound are evident across Ain't Scared of Shaka – such as Mason's fragile nostalgia or Rose's burly synth squall – OLD SVRFERS is its own beast altogether. There's a lot of playful contradiction throughout, with wistful melodies sampled from days gone by dipping right into rhythmic, clanging industrial vibes. At once confounding, familiar, visceral, and relaxing, Mason and Rose have combined their sonic powers to create an unexpected and entirely compelling journey that shreds from start to finish. The boards are waxed. The waves are crashing. SVRF'S VP. Pro-dubbed and imprinted chrome cassettes, featuring designs by Caroline Teagle. Comes with a free digital download.

Maybe White Coyote never sent out any of those cassettes or responded to e-mails because he was busy recording a new EP. :rolleyes:

https://whit3coyot3.bandcamp.com/album/anton

Yeah, I really don't know what his deal is, and I regret ever bringing it up. It just seemed neat at the time, an out-of-9 cassette of some lo-fi stuff that wasn't bad, but I've attempted to contact a few times with no response and it's been months. I'm feeling guilty that some VCers threw money away on account of me.

So far, out of all the orders I've ever made anywhere in all my time collecting, only this White Coyote tape and the Nouns/Pope/Rachel split 7" never showed and I never heard word back.

Yeah, I really don't know what his deal is, and I regret ever bringing it up. It just seemed neat at the time, an out-of-9 cassette of some lo-fi stuff that wasn't bad, but I've attempted to contact a few times with no response and it's been months. I'm feeling guilty that some VCers threw money away on account of me.

So far, out of all the orders I've ever made anywhere in all my time collecting, only this White Coyote tape and the Nouns/Pope/Rachel split 7" never showed and I never heard word back.

No need to feel guilty. I'm with you on both this and the Rachel split. I kinda got ripped off on a Park Jefferson kickstarter 7" and something from Black Churches. And a Cities Aviv LP. And TOYPAJ. I've been ripped off a lot. Kind of used to it.

I considered called that booking phone number on the White Coyote Bandcamp.

a2670512293_10.jpg

Light Places, the forthcoming sophomore album from NYC-based duo Passenger Peru, can be thought of as the sequel to their acclaimed self-titled debut.

Much like its predecessor, Light Places showcases Justin Stivers and Justin Gonzales' keen melodic sense and their ability to shape-shift moods at the drop of a hat with expert control of their instruments; however, this time around, the duo focuses on producing more simplistic and raw music to match the exposed and visceral lyrics. 

It's a deeply personal, raw, and unapologetic album recorded, produced, mixed, and mastered DIY by the band in various locations around the New York area. Playing with the juxtaposition of light/dark and abrasive/beautiful, Passenger Peru execute a running commentary on modern city life for a 30-something-year-old through ebbs and flows of neo-psychedelic experimentation, crazy dynamic shifts, bare-boned odes, and odd yet infectious noise.

0004424978_10.jpg

I'm trying to clear my shelves for 2015 so I'm putting a few releases 50% off or more. Reddit + online forum exclusive! :)

ScotDrakula- Burner + Break Me Up EP

Two Way Tie For Last (Cassette Store Day Compilation w/ Baldy Longhair)

Clouder- Sister Raygun for $1.00

Zaleski & Ugly Zoo- Split

So apparently this is a thing: http://www.discogs.com/MA-Sometimes-We-Have-No-Choice/release/5919990

I'm not big into tapes, but this was my favourite ambient/noise release of 2014 (seriously, Mike Armine can do no wrong).  Crazy limited, nice package... picked one up for $11 from someone in China, maybe they have more?  Keep an eye on that discogs page if you want one I guess.

Another copy is up for sale!

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/213765402

Seller is backed, clearly ESL, but good communication.  He sent me a signed copy too!

The first two auctions went up yesterday, but VC was down so I couldn't post:

Black w/ gray j-card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191499460424?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

White w/ black j-card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191499460469?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks!

New Sequences cassette is for sale.  It's pretty expensive, but it's a really cool idea.

http://sequences.bigcartel.com/product/the-submission-tapes

• Photo_01-02-15_17_34_08.jpg

SEQUENCES - THE SUBMISSION TAPES

Each order will receive;

*A cassette featuring an exclusive (12 to 15 minute) track. Not one other person will receive the same music; each track is written and recorded for you personally.

*A limited and numbered 21x43cm screen printed poster on transparent paper (folded).

*An original collage (size variable).