Question about Portable Record Player?

There's an entire sub forum dedicated to this. But I'll save you the trouble and tell you that you'll never find a portable turntable that doesn't sound like crap.

Well... That's why I asked about speakers that may go well with it. This is mainly for casual-use. I just need something to get me started, one that is fairly cheap, sounds at least decent and doesn't take up a lot of room. Oh, and one that doesn't break vinyl so easily, I heard some did.

There's no such thing as a "good" portable player.

If you want to go that route, go for it, but the only thing I will say is if you're going all out with purchasing records (i.e. buying records over $100), do yourself the favor of at least investing in a decent turntable.

I don't even know if there's a "top shelf" for portable turntables, but to even invest in one thinking you'll get good sound is just a waste of money.

Come to think of it, I don't even know any other brands relatable to Crosley's portable turntables.

Not trying to be a dick and I am sorry if I'm coming off as one.

For "a couple hundred dollars max" like you said, you can get a pretty nice beginners' setup. Check out the Crosley thread, and take a look at the U-Turn and the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, some of the most popular tables here at VC.

And hey, stick around for the rest of your vinyl needs, too. You'll often find records much cheaper here than on eBay or Discogs, and as a community we're not so bad. Mostly.

Welcome!

There's no such thing as a "good" portable player.

If you want to go that route, go for it, but the only thing I will say is if you're going all out with purchasing records (i.e. buying records over $100), do yourself the favor of at least investing in a decent turntable.

I don't even know if there's a "top shelf" for portable turntables, but to even invest in one thinking you'll get good sound is just a waste of money.

Come to think of it, I don't even know any other brands relatable to Crosley's portable turntables.

Not trying to be a dick and I am sorry if I'm coming off as one.

Thanks for the answer. I already have a good collection of vinyl, a family member gave me most of their old ones.

I want a portable one, because they're small and I live in a small bedroom. The current one I have now has broken down and the setup is way too big. I also received that as a gift, but only because they got a crazy deal for it (probably because it was half broken to begin with).

I just want something that will more or less just get me started in the vinyl world and something that will last a while, I just want to listen to some records. I don't need a crazy setup, just something to get me started and can produce at least better than mediocre sound. So, that's why I was asking about speakers that might go nice with some of those portable ones, And I don't mean crazy huge speakers just a pair of decent quality ones that would actually make it sound not bad like you're saying most of them sound like on their own.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the answer. I already have a good collection of vinyl, a family member gave me most of their old ones.

I want a portable one, because they're small and I live in a small bedroom. The current one I have now has broken down and the setup is way too big. I also received that as a gift, but only because they got a crazy deal for it (probably because it was half broken to begin with).

I just want something that will more or less just get me started in the vinyl world and something that will last a while, I just want to listen to some records. I don't need a crazy setup, just something to get me started and can produce at least better than mediocre sound. So, that's why I was asking about speakers that might go nice with some of those portable ones, And I don't mean crazy huge speakers just a pair of decent quality ones that would actually make it sound not bad like you're saying most of them sound like on their own.

Any suggestions?

Regardless of wanting something portable, it's not going to be good for the records.