shipping a record to Ireland or Australia

I'm running an auction and a couple people are bummed that I have limited shipping to USA. I've just heard too many horror stories over the years with international shipping so I always limit to USA.

Is it worth the hassle to ship to these two areas? The bidders said they would pay the costs but are packages generally handled in a safe way?

Package your record using two cardboard inserts, record outside of cover, or double box it. 1 record to the UK or Ireland and/or Australia usually costs about $23 shipped 1st class. I have had 1 bent cover but otherwise never had a problem shipping or receiving probably 2 dozen records or so in the last few years.

PS they love it when you mark the customs form as a gift.

The packages aren't generally handled in safe way if it is going anywhere.. but I believe with that Global Shipping program that eBay does that it makes things a bit easier on a seller. You mail it to a global shipper in the US and then they handle it from there, and charge the buyer.

However ebay will also side with a buyer in 95% of any case, so you still have that.

Alright, so last year I sold some comics, and despite the auction being limited, somehow an Aussie slipped by and won the bid.  I will say this, the transaction was painless.  It calculated the shipping, it generated the customs forms, etc.  The guy paid the extra shipping, and it arrived safe and sound. 

EDIT: I realize this isn't about vinyl, but I had no issues shipping, which is what I was trying to present to you.

I've bought most of my records (despite being a small collection) from you guys across the pond and other than a few corner dings I've had no problems at all.

PS they love it when you mark the customs form as a gift.

Also true. If the declared amount is under $23 (I think) it helps as well avoid custom charges but that's your risk.

I once received a record from New Zealand (practically Australia) and it was packaged in one layer of bubble wrap, some cardboard inserts, and in a mailer. The seller also took the time to be sure the openings were sealed with tape. Anyway, it arrived after 15 days of travel in flawless condition. I was a little concerned when I saw the box wasn't wrapped in 75mm of foam, but it wasn't a big deal afterall.

Literally all vinyl that I have purchased is from Aus / USA, the shipping is pricey but in general vinyl are a bit cheaper / roughly the same price so it's not all that bad. The £ is quite strong so it generally isn't as bad for us than if it were a role reversal..

I have had nothing but good service, actually better than most other transactions from the UK so I wouldn't worry :) 

Is it worth the hassle to ship to these two areas? The bidders said they would pay the costs but are packages generally handled in a safe way?

Yes.

The condition things arrive in is almost entirely down to the way they are packed with the postal service coming a distant second. Protect the corners and ship the record outside the sleeve. If you've done this properly, there's no reason the record shouldn't stand up to everything except fire and vindictive/incompetent staff. I've only ever had one complaint about my packing and that was 100% my fault. I slacked off for one order. Never again.

Be more concerned about things getting lost. That's something you have little power over. I've shipped once or twice to Ireland and a lot to Australia and nothing's gone missing. The places to be aware of are easily found with Google (start with Italy). If these places concern you, insist on a level of tracking and insurance that covers you for the entire amount.