Interview/Job opinion- I need your thoughts

Alright, so a few weeks ago, I sent my resume to a retail company that I was interested in working with.  A few days later I had a phone interview with the District Manager, who already seemed to dig me, so he invited me to an in person interview the very next day.  So, next day we meet and b.s. a bit, just about managing styles and past experience.  He tells me there that he would hire me immediately if there was a location closer to me (I use public transit since I sold my car before I moved to DC), but he says he may be able to shift managers to get me a spot because I would be a good fit.  I get a call that night, saying he can move a manager and has a spot for me, but I need to speak to his boss and he would call me in a few days when he's back from meetings.  He calls me days later, saying it was meant to be to work for said company, and basically coached me on what to talk about when I speak to his boss and he would call me on Monday (about 3 days later) to set up a time.  I don't get a call Monday, but I get an email Tuesday that says that his boss is busy, but things are still a go, so I should sit tight.  So I get the impression that he's still very interested.  That was last Tuesday.  Tired of waiting, I email Sunday morning, asking if he had any news (that and I really need a job), to which he hasn't replied.  Again, tired of waiting, I call today to no answer and I leave a voicemail.  

Sorry that was so long, but I need some opinions on this.  Some simple facts: dude seemed super interested in getting me on board, seemed willing to move employees to different locations to find a spot for me, called me and coached me on what to say to his boss to get me on board, guy may be in his early 40s which would entail that he is a professional.  

With that simple facts stated, I'm wanting to know whether or not you think this guy is now blowing me off, or maybe he's just too busy or maybe something came up in his personal life that is keeping him from contacting me.  I told my gal that I think he's blowing me off (I'm kind of a pessimist when it comes to employment), as I think he would have at least sent an email or text or quick phone call to keep me in the loop.  The gal thinks that because he is a professional, he would at least let me know that he is no longer interested in me or the position is no longer open. 

Therefore, please let me know what you think, my internet friends.  

You don't think that I should worry about him not responding to an email sent Sunday morning, even a quick email keeping me in the loop; or responding to the voicemail I left him earlier? 

Also, thank you so much for your responses.  I've been all nerves for the last three days (when I missed out on another company).  The gal tells me that a professional dude, outside of his 20s would at least give the courtesy of a rejection email.  But it still feels like a blow-off. 

Sounds like this guy might've been more talk. Perhaps he doesn't have the power he made it seem like he has. 

Well, he is the District Manager, which means he would have the ability to push me forward to a Regional Manager.  Pretty certain he has the power to hire me, but wants his Regional to be in the loop.  I know that's always how it's been with my experience in specialty retail. 

fwiw, I'm sort of going through a similar situation, except that the guy who seemed gung-ho on hiring me was essentially the guy who would hire me, but oh well.  hope it works out for both of us.  anyhoo...

what else is going on on your end?  like, do you super need to hear back *now*, or are you just afraid that something bad has happened?  if you've already emailed asking what the status is, I think you should probably lay low for a bit and wait it out.

in my situation, I'm afraid of acting like "high school me", always asking the same girl on a date (and always being ~ignored).  I haven't heard back in over a month now, but I'm done asking.  that said, I know that they haven't hired anyone because they tend to post their interviews online (it's at a university and candidates have to give a seminar)

but yeah, good luck!

Sounds like this guy might've been more talk. Perhaps he doesn't have the power he made it seem like he has. 

I was thinking this. He may have the power to hire you but didnt think or have the power to move the other ppl.

Perhaps they are using the time now to figure that out. It seems unlikely that he would blow that much smoke up your ass.

My thought exactly.  Maybe he was taking liberties that he shouldn't have been and got shot down by the big boss.

In case you can't tell, I have that pessimist thing down pat too :/

Well it seems like most people don't think that he's blowing me off, which helps. It would just be nice to get an email or a quick phone call, as I could have been hired somewhere else by now, because I've turned things down to work for/with this guy. It's very frustrating and I always think things are going to go badly for me.

Hey man, all I gotta say is, sometimes in business, things fall through. I'd keep active on the job hunt and not get too high about this one.

This. Last fall I was approached by a company in Florida (I'm in Ohio). They flew me down, rental car, hotel, cash...the works! I git a call after the interview and everything was hunky dory. I landed the job, was told to wait about a month for everything to get official and more things in the plant to be lined up.

I'm still in ohio, never to hear from those clowns again.

Rule of thumb is to not send more than two messages (phone, email, text) without getting a response. I would have waited until Monday to make that phone call. I try to send those things at like 10AM Monday when they won't have life get in the way. 

In my recent experience....

offered a job I didn't want after I interviewed and turned it down (crap hours crap company, great pay)

interviewed, emailed thank you, no response

interviewed, emailed thank you, was turned down but he put in a good word with his friends that landed another interview with a different company

interviewed, emailed thank you, was offered a job an hour after the thank you, and accepted an hour after that or so

all the other times that things didn't go my way or didn't work out I would get bummed. The job that I have now is my #1 pick of all the jobs I researched. Close to home (home by 3:45 every day), cool company, cool and smart boss, challenging and rewarding work. 

it sounds like you getting the job was based on moving others around to other locations, which... while they can force employees to move, its bad practice to just do it without consideration to the current employees desires.  So they may still be hashing out the employee movements... or it all fell apart because someone didnt want to move to a different location.

Update for those curious:  

The situation wouldn't be that big of a deal, nor would I care that much about a retail management job, except that I've been in DC for a few months now, living on savings, and I'm about to deplete my savings; therefore, I really need work.  For those that don't know that feeling, it really, really sucks. 

My girlfriend, knowing how upset I've been at the situation told me to call one last time, today, just to at least have some sort of closure.  I've never not gotten a job I wanted, which is the most upsetting part.  I didn't think it was a good idea, but she insisted I do, so I could at least move on with the situation and look forward. 

Called, guy quickly answered, stating that they are working with a new District Manager, meaning there was an internal shift in the stores.  Dude was really nice, but did sound busy and said he would call back.  I've been through area shifts like that in the past, and they are complicated, so who knows. 

I have a phone interview this week with a direct competitor, which I guess is neat.  It's not my dream to run a retail store, but it's what my resume says that I'm great at.  Womp womp. 

I have a phone interview this week with a direct competitor, which I guess is neat.  It's not my dream to run a retail store, but it's what my resume says that I'm great at.  Womp womp. 

That's the worst part about finding the right job. I was in banking for years, and could get jobs at banks, but that gets old. Thank God I was able to find a job a my dream company by making the banking skills relevant for a totally different position. 

That's the worst part about finding the right job. I was in banking for years, and could get jobs at banks, but that gets old. Thank God I was able to find a job a my dream company by making the banking skills relevant for a totally different position. 

Same. I'm stuck in customer service/help desk or pretty much anything talking on the phone. I'm sick of talking on the phone 8 hours a day. I guess my degree in computer networking does not mean shit to employers, so what was the point of college?

Yeah, I understand that.  I have a Creative Writing degree, which doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot in the workforce.  I plan on putting it to use once the lady has finished law school and I can go back for my Master's Degree.  That would give me the opportunity to teach.