Quitting Smoking Thread.

So. I'm 30 and it's come to that part of my life where I have someone whom I love and has given me a reason to quit. Plus eating up money and so on and so forth.

I'm preparing myself for this in the only way I know and that's in baby steps. I've stopped smoking in the house, and have switched over to lights. Next week it's to ultra lights and then, the patch. I can't do cold turkey. Tried and failed miserably. It's been 15 years so I've got a feeling it's gonna be rough.

Anyway - figured this could be a spot to get/give advice if anyone has successfully kicked it. What worked for you, and all that bullshit.

Over and out.

Satan.

So. I'm 30 and it's come to that part of my life where I have someone whom I love and has given me a reason to quit. Plus eating up money and so on and so forth.

I'm preparing myself for this in the only way I know and that's in baby steps. I've stopped smoking in the house, and have switched over to lights. Next week it's to ultra lights and then, the patch. I can't do cold turkey. Tried and failed miserably. It's been 15 years so I've got a feeling it's gonna be rough.

Anyway - figured this could be a spot to get/give advice if anyone has successfully kicked it. What worked for you, and all that bullshit.

Over and out.

Satan.

Good luck dude. My dad quit chewing tobacco a few years back and it was one of the hardest things he's ever done. It actually ate away the little bit of skin in the middle of his bottom lip. Anyway, I digress. Smoking also killed my grandmother when she was only in her late 50s. I've seen enough to have no desire to start, but I hope you can kick your habit as quickly and easily as possible

Cold turkey is definitely not an option. Id drive myself nuts. My troubles with harder addictions in the past have left me with this one vice left. I've got to take it slow, easy and at my own pace. Rezqua ya know, for being a young lil shit you;re doing good around these parts.

YO BRUCE. It's okay. At least you've got your nails.

Cold turkey is definitely not an option. Id drive myself nuts. My troubles with harder addictions in the past have left me with this one vice left. I've got to take it slow, easy and at my own pace. Rezqua ya know, for being a young lil shit you;re doing good around these parts.

YO BRUCE. It's okay. At least you've got your nails.

Thanks Satan <3

I'll leave this to the big boys, I can't relate to how addiction feels (outside of my morning cup of some nice black coffee :P). Tobacco has taken people from me, and I still have family who does it, so yeah. Bottom line, I like most of you guys, so don't die on me :)

Don't buy them. Boom.

But in all seriousness, I use to smoke, and quI ting was just easy for me. Especially compared to a lot of people. I smoked unfiltered Lucky Strikes for a couple years, and boy do I miss them, but don't actually crave them. Not smoking at work was easy, I just concentrated on work. When I got home I just lightly snacked instead. Snacking replaced smoking. But then again, I didn't really have those strong cravings and all that. Maybe some people just make a bigger deal about it cause they're always thinking about it. And think about all the money you'll save. I think there's an app for it. That'll help. Think of all the records you could buy instead of smoking.

Dammit Dave! ;)

Now I just want a pack of unfiltered Lucky Strikes.

Sorry, guys. I miss them too. Especially when I lived in VA. They were only $6/pack. I bought one in NYC once while I lived there. $12/pack. That helped me quit. Haha.

I guess not talking about smoking helps to quit. So this thread is counter productive haha.

Well you've got the most important thing you need to do this - sufficient motivation. I only finally managed to quit because I had two mutually incompatible options; my gf and smoking. I wanted my gf more so I quit.

You have two addictions to conquer. The physical addiction to nicotine and the psychological addiction to the whole process of having a cigarette. Do one at a time. I used nicotine gum until the associations I had with smoking were gone. This was things like going for a smoke on my breaks at work, drinking alchohol and smoking and smoking when I was waiting for something or someone and needed to pass the time. If you are going to eat your way though this (something in cigarettes suppresses you appetite; I'm not sure what) then try and be healthy about it. I ate lots of fruit.

Once that is done, quit the nicotine. I remember realising I was addicted to the gum in the same way I was physically addicted to it when I was smoking. As I no longer had the whole action of smoking (you can pop gum in your mouth pretty much any time any place - there is no ritual to it), I found cutting it out very easy. It will be 5 years this September since I smoked.

Also, having kids helped enormously, but bringing new life into the world really should not be used as a quitting method!

I always told myself I'd quit by the time I was 30

Of course at the time I figured 30 would never happen and now I'm fucked because I've only got a little over a year.

I also told myself 30, which is less than 8 months away now.

It's going to be hard, but I'm going to try to quit soon. It helps with my anxiety a ton, and I love the act of it. I'll probably try cold turkey, and see how it goes. I managed to quit for 2 years a few years back, but anxiety and other crap brought me back. I need to stop using it as a mental crutch.

Good luck Satan!

I also told myself 30, which is less than 8 months away now.

It's going to be hard, but I'm going to try to quit soon. It helps with my anxiety a ton, and I love the act of it. I'll probably try cold turkey, and see how it goes. I managed to quit for 2 years a few years back, but anxiety and other crap brought me back. I need to stop using it as a mental crutch.

Good luck Satan!

you could try drawing when you're feeling anxious. or coloring. it sounds really childish, i know, but it works for me. its just the idea of distracting yourself and focusing on one thing for an extended period of time.

i keep markers, crayons, a sketch pad, & a coloring book in my bag at all times bc of this.

Yeah, I need to distract myself somehow and I was thinking of getting back into drawing. Coloring is not childish, it's still fun at any age.

the only thing i found helpful was wanting to quit.

many times i tried and failed because i had forced myself. i bought an app saying everyday how much i was saving on not buying a pack.

that + wanting to + the patch and i was done in no time.

i still like the smell and can watch ppl do it, and be fine.

avoid routines that enabled smoking. i.e. bars, specific meals, etc.

once youre ready for the bar test, try it out.

I suck at drawing too, but used to love it and doing graphic stuff in photoshop (not good enough to be design) but stopped once I got to college. I've wanted to get back into it for a while, just never did. This should be good motivation to change.

Edit: I want to stop, I know I can't do it forever if I want to live a while and not have tons of problems, but at the same time I love it and the mental crutch it is. I NEED to stop, so I've been slowly convincing myself I want to stop.

I smoked for 14 years and decided to quit last year. I went with nicotine lozenges which seemed to work. They are a lot different than an actual lozenge. I went with the mini ones. 4mg if you smoke right when you wake up and 2mg if not. It eventually becomes too much nicotine and I kept weening down by breaking them in halves, quarters, etc. Lately, I stopped using them after about 6+ months on them and slipped up a few times. I haven't boughten any cigs, just smoked a few sober with a drunk friend.

That and SPITE will help you quit. Fuck those prices! I save a lot more $$$ now (sorta, I just buy more vinylz hehe). I won't lie, I have cravings and always tell myself I should just roll my own, but other than saving $$$, I have to smoke off-property at work, have a bee phobia, hate going outside, etc. so that helps too! Smoking was an inconvenience!

My friend always (still?) suggests vaping.. but like Bill Lumbergh would say... "yyyyeah..."

Good luck (hail) Satan!!

I've tried to quit a couple times, for me it's just motivation.  I get really excited about quitting, go through a shitty week or two of headaches, and then it's all cool.  But then a ways down the road I'll have a couple drinks, decide it's a good idea to buy a pack to smoke just for the evening, and then I'm hooked again.

I usually go with Mike & Ikes to curb the cravings.  Someone else suggested real fruit, that's probably a healthier option.  Godspeed.

The first step I took to quitting was leaving my cigarettes at home when I went to work in the morning. It was really helpful. A huge part of the addiction is the habit of smoking at certain parts of the day. You have to break that habit and realize your entire day will be just fine without cigarettes. 

After a while I started smoking less and less in the evenings and eventually reduced myself to only smoking on weekends. Once I was at that point, it was not very difficult to quit completely.  

If you have the opportunity, buying loose cigarettes from a bodega is the way to go when you are trying to cut down. Sometimes you just need to have a cigarette, and buying a fresh pack will always, 100 percent of the time lead you right back to heavy use. Maybe consider giving your pack to a close friend to hold for you. 

Good luck.....if you quit and it doesnt work....quit again....might take a couple of shots.

I smoked 25-40 a day and quit cold turkey......i quit with a friend....made a slap bet...every smoke is a slap......i havnt had a cigarette since....that was 3 years ago

Its really hard....but soooo rewarding....i feel 1000 times better off...health and wallet