BIG BLACK - Atomizer LP Remastered Reissue

From Touch & Go.

TG93_news.jpg

Originally released in 1985, and now re-mastered by Steve Albini and Bob Weston at Chicago Mastering, Big Black's first full-length album Atomizer will be released on September 25th, 2015. To save you having to do the math in your head, yes, that makes this a 30th anniversary reissue!

This remastered version of Atomizer includes the song "Strange Things" which appeared on the first pressing of Atomizer, but was not present on subsequent vinyl pressings nor on The Rich Man's Eight Track CD. It also comes with a double-sided insert and a digital download coupon.

To put this release into context for the uninformed: Big Black began in 1982. Steve Steve Albini, then a sophomore at Northwestern University, fanzine writer and loudmouth, released the Lungs EP on the Chicago co-operative label Ruthless (whose other artists at the time included Naked Raygun and the Effigies). Lungs was recorded in his apartment on a borrowed 4-track for the price of one case of beer.

After that record’s release, Jeff Pezzati (singer for Naked Raygun) and Santiago Durango (Naked Raygun, Arsenal), both linchpins of the burgeoning Chicago music scene, joined Big Black. During this period, the band established itself as a live act, recorded two more records, the Bulldozer EP and the Racer-X EP, toured the U.S., and had - in general– a pretty good time.

Jeff Pezzati’s other obligations precipitated his departure from the band in 1984, when he was replaced by Dave Riley, bass player for Chicago swing-punk band Savage Beliefs. This lineup persisted until the band’s self-destruction in August of 1987.

Big Black toured the U.S., England, Europe, and Austrailia. They recorded a sh**load of records: Il Duce 45, Atomizer LP, Headache EP (which bore the heartbreakingly-honest disclaimer “Warning! Not as good as Atomizer. Don’t get your hopes up, Cheese.”), Heartbeat 45, He’s A Whore 45, Songs About Fucking LP, and Pig Pile LP / Video. 

http://store.touchandgorecords.com/products/big-black-atomizer-lp-remastered-by-steve-albini-and-bob-weston

Wow, weird move for Albini am I right?? On a side note, Kerosene remastered should be amazing.

Yes, this is weird for Steve "No Kurt, you can't have these tracks recorded again or remastered elsewhere because I am the best producer there is" Albini. Granted this isn't In Utero, but there's no reason for him to remaster this other than for the cash.

Yes, this is weird for Steve "No Kurt, you can't have these tracks recorded again or remastered elsewhere because I am the best producer there is" Albini. Granted this isn't In Utero, but there's no reason for him to remaster this other than for the cash.

You mean the record he took his usual fee for instead of royalties.

Fuck. Yes.

I am positive Steve had a say in this, but he isn't the one who runs Touch and Go. Reissues like this, Slint and Pinback are indeed moneygrabs but they help keep the label slightly afloat so they can keep going in this capacity. A world without Touch and Go is a world not worth living in.

Plus my experience with Bob Weston masters/remasters is pretty outstanding.

I am positive Steve had a say in this, but he isn't the one who runs Touch and Go. Reissues like this, Slint and Pinback are indeed moneygrabs but they help keep the label slightly afloat so they can keep going in this capacity. A world without Touch and Go is a world not worth living in.

it's says albini/weston remaster. It's not like albini wouldn't know anyway as he is still active on label with shellac and plays in that band with weston. Touch and go isn't just putting out crap pressing to make some money

The Albini remaster makes this that much sweeter. 

All the CD versions of the Big Black catalog sound like absolute shit. They have needed remastering for years. It's just a nice bonus that they went ahead and remastered and recut the vinyl too while they were at it and those include digital downloads so it's win/win. I got the Racer X and Bulldozer ones even though I own the original first pressings of both and they sound very good.

• 2 months later...

My copy of the Atomizer reissue arrived today... great pressing, no ticks or noise. Very impressed. Sound is SUPERB! Seriously a step up from any other copies on CD or tape I have heard. The remaster has really improved the bottom end. Excellent reissue, fully recommended for any fans. Now to go light some fires somewhere...