The Fragrance Thread

As a pseudo-revival/tangential continuation of this thread, I figured we could get some noses in here to discuss what cologne/perfumes you wear and enjoy.

I'm a bit of a fragrance connoisseur that loves to find new and interesting (especially unique) scents to try out.

To start, I can share a few of the scents I've fallen for:

Encre Noire by Lalique

Encre Noire by Lalique was formulated by Nathalie Lorson and launched in 2006.  It's a smoky, inky black vetiver-on-vetiver scent that is unique and unusual.  It opens on the eponymous inky black ("Encre Noire") blend, with subtle notes of damp soil and smoky-charred wood.  Then the vetiver accord kicks in, touching on top notes of rich green cypress, dark mossy forest moss, and a light silky fougere that follows a linear drydown.  Latent resinous traits bloom and the vetiver becomes woodier as time passes -  a slightly bitter and animalistic freshly-split-wood scent that is earthy and masculine, yet clean and fresh.  The duality of this scent creates a perpetual dynamic tension between contrasts and contradictions: sweet and bitter, wet and dry, earthy and fresh.  It's the dirtiest clean fragrance I've come across.  Encre Noire is more of a refined, mature scent that wouldn't fit in a club scene.  It is complex, mysterious, elegant, and confident.  A nice/private-blend quality for a designer price.  Its projection is moderate and longevity is phenomenal (12+ hours).  Recommended for cultivated and refined noses.

A*Men Pure Leather (Pure Cuir) by Thierry Mugler

This fragrance was developed by taking the original A*Men formulation and maturing it for four weeks in a vat containing fragments of raw leather to elicit dark, natural leather overtones.  It opens with a merked tar and light mint note that quickly shifts to a sweet, cedary leather.  The leather sustains after the drydown and gradually elicits notes of rich suede, sweet vanilla, robust coffee, and resinous tonka bean.  Delicate whiffs of caramel-chocolate mix with animalistic musk and gentle touches of earthy patchouli.  It's a pure leathery gourmand scent, like candied suede.  It's masculine, yet inviting and pleasant.  A very unique scent that cannot be mistaken for another.  It's got moderate longevity of about 7-9 hours and great sillage that can border on overwhelming with heavy application.  Perfect night scent for colder seasons and casual occasions.  Quickly developing into one of my favorite fragrances.

Artisan Black by John Varvatos

Composed by Rodrigo Flores-Roux and presented in a hand-woven, black bottle.  It opens on a springy citrus note, filled with tangerine, orange blossom, lemon, and blood orange. Dries down into a light, airy accord, with floral notes of jasmine and sweet spiciness of ginger and coriander.  After a while, the base notes begin to come into play, very green and rich - vetiver, patchouli, and a woody leather at the bottom.  Doesn't have the greatest longevity or sillage, but still stays around for 6-8 hours.  Recommended for a warm spring/summer day.

Dali by Salvador Dali

Initially launched in 1987 (a very "80s" scent), the fragrance was created by perfumer Thierry Wasser as a tribute to Gala, Dali's wife and muse. A very powerful, dark scent with a complex bouquet that ranges from floral to earthy to woody to spicy to sweet.  initially a very brash opening, with top notes that jump out as a zesty bergamot and sweet, floral lavender. They remain as the middle notes take effect during the drydown, lending a musky patchouli and woody spice.  The base notes contain a wonderful aura of oriental leather, deep vanilla, and an exotic earthiness that sticks around for a while.  Good longevity and excellent sillage, though can be overpowering with too much.  A great nighttime scent.

Burberry London For Men by Burberry

Burberry London for Men was created by perfumer Antoine Maisondieu in 2006.  The unique, plaid fabric covered bottle was designed by French director Fabien Baron.  It opens on a bright, spicy citrus - an invigorating mixture of cinnamon, bergamot, white pepper, and light lavender.  This piquantly peppery opening is graced with a boozy backbone of port wine and spicy rum undertones that blend well with the dryly sweet mimosa flower notes in the heart.  As the inaugural spiciness subsides, a smoky tobacco and leather accord begin to rear their heads, provoking a masculine quality that sticks through the drydown.  Hidden within this aroma is a woody bouquet of soft oriental and guaiac wood scents that elicit a resinous amber aura.  The base notes begin to develop, springing into a warm, balsamic and sweet, honey-like aroma of opoponax and earthy oakmoss.  A continuing green pine note follows through, reminding me of end-of-year holidays.  It's a perfect scent for winter months, when the weather grows cold and people tend to gather indoors.  The only downside is the pitiful longevity (5-8 hours) and minor sillage.  If only it lasted longer and stayed stronger, it would be my all time favorite scent, bordering on my "signature."  

I dig this thread, as I usually rotate about 5 different ones.

Armani "Black" Code (Not the sport) is my go to/favorite.

Invictus by Paco Rabanne is my current jam. Def check it out.

I tested out Invictus a while back, got a little 5ml vial of it.  I really liked the sweet opening, very citric like grapefruit.  I remember it had a very quick drydown and dropped into a subtle scent after that.

Paco Rabanne's other big scent, 1 Million, has really taken the club scene by storm.  It's a unique, sweet scent that's similar to Invictus, but it's a little more cloying.  I wish it wasn't so popular, because it would be unique if not for everyone else wearing it.

will be checking out 1 Million. thanks.

It's got an odd bubblegum and sweet cinnamon tone to it, you might like it if you dig those sweeter gourmands.  1 Million Intense is even more preferential, it's a little more refined and the sweetness isn't as overpowering.  The mid notes are a little more bold, like wine.

I'm a simple man, I prefer CK One or Curve. When I wanna fancy it up I buy Amber White oil. It's kinda pricy and you apply it more to your clothes. The scent is rather faint, but I get a lot of complements from women specifically when I wear it. My wife doesn't like when I buy it haha. I buy her perfumes pretty regularly. She's a big fan of Flowerbomb by Viktor&Rolf and Angel by Thierry Mugler. On a regular work day she'll wear Pink Sugar or Lucky You, which is a nostalgic scent for me because that's what she wore when we first started dating.

I'm a simple man, I prefer CK One or Curve. When I wanna fancy it up I buy Amber White oil. It's kinda pricy and you apply it more to your clothes. The scent is rather faint, but I get a lot of complements from women specifically when I wear it. My wife doesn't like when I buy it haha. I buy her perfumes pretty regularly. She's a big fan of Flowerbomb by Viktor&Rolf and Angel by Thierry Mugler. On a regular work day she'll wear Pink Sugar or Lucky You, which is a nostalgic scent for me because that's what she wore when we first started dating.

Angel is a really good feminine scent.  I like the A*Men line as well - especially Pure Wood (powdery cypress/oak), Pure Havane (sweet green tobacco leaf), Pure Coffee (vanilla-chocolate coffee), and Pure Malt (gourmand booziness).

I'll have to check both of these out!

Pure Coffee is one of the more limited and expensive ones, but it's an excellent scent.  It's got echos of dark, bitter chocolate while still maintaining the signature Mugler gourmand sweet base.  What I like most about it is the drydown and longevity.  I was still smelling it well into the night when I put it on in the morning.

As for Pure Malt, it's one of the more popular A*Men flankers.  It's got a masculine fruity-berry bouquet that's distinguished by the boozy scent that dries down into that A*Men caramel base.  It's a sweet rum/whiskey fragrance, like eggnog, perfect for winter months.  

Douche as Abercrombie is, Fierce is the best cologne i've ever used. My girlfriend rages over it. I recommend testing it out, and if you like it, be honorary mentions below would also be good choices

Banana Republic- Slate (also a favorite)

Estee Lauder- Intuition
Lacoste- Live

Dior- Homme Eau

Yves Saint Laurent- L'Homme 

Pure Coffee is one of the more limited and expensive ones, but it's an excellent scent. It's got echos of dark, bitter chocolate while still maintaining the signature Mugler gourmand sweet base. What I like most about it is the drydown and longevity. I was still smelling it well into the night when I put it on in the morning.

As for Pure Malt, it's one of the more popular A*Men flankers. It's got a masculine fruity-berry bouquet that's distinguished by the boozy scent that dries down into that A*Men caramel base. It's a sweet rum/whiskey fragrance, like eggnog, perfect for winter months.

You should so a YouTube channel! I used to love Katie Puckrik Smells but she stopped doing reviews almost a year ago. Not sure why. Her reviews were very indepth similar to your descriptions, not just some 22 year old airhead review saying what smells best in a Vegas night club or what has the cutest bottle.

You should so a YouTube channel! I used to love Katie Puckrik Smells but she stopped doing reviews almost a year ago. Not sure why. Her reviews were very indepth similar to your descriptions, not just some 22 year old airhead review saying what smells best in a Vegas night club or what has the cutest bottle.

Thank you. It would cost so much money to afford full bottles of everything that I liked, hahaha. Plus, I'm mega camera shy.

I just do reviews on instagram.