MOONSHAKE RECORDS THREAD.

Satan

It's not that I care they're jumping a guy for doing something illegal, but going out of your way to attack anybody, for really any reason, on social media, makes me hesitant to support your cause. In fact I jumped on buying more copies of Sean's releases because of the overly critical posts made by his critics. You don't see Iam8bit, Mondo or Data Discs or Black Screen Records doing any of that. They're perfectly aware of him too, they'd have to be at this point, but they don't do that. Because it's not good for business, and it actually hurts your cause, and causes criticism of the people posting it. 

Yeah Mondo guys don't seem to care about Moonshake stuff, and if I remember well, they had some copies of Sean vinyl to sell, but I might be wrong though !

Nnnnoooooo!

I thought he promised you a girl with balloon tp?

Well the original got stuck somewhere at a depot in NY, and seems to have disappeared into a black hole. Long story short, he held a couple of Test Pressings back for his own collection, but they were all Homerchu designs. My understanding is that he only did a small amount, maybe 5 as a guess. So basically he sent me one from his own collection, and to be fair he could have just refunded me but instead he's paid for another lot of international shipping.

I did also get a standard copy as well, so for $20 (or whatever it was) for the two I can't complain.

I do sorta like the Homerchu design, as odd as it is...

The Mother track was Pollyanna, I think, on the NES Greatest Hits record. STS licensed the entire arrange album from Sony, who still had rights to it. Pollyanna is on the D Side medley, but not individually licensed. Essentially people could have bought the Moonshake release for this one track, instead of having to find it on the D Side of the arrangement. I can see why STS wouldn't like this, but technically they don't have the rights to that single track, because that would have had to have come from Nintendo.

Still doesn't make it legal on his end even if they don't have the specific legal rights to one song, but I could definitely see why they'd get up in arms. The other stuff though is what bugs me though.

Ok, this is NOT what happened.

STS emailed me from the start with an extremely hostile letter saying how they had the mother license FROM NINTENDO and that they were going to sue me if I put it out because they now owned the rights to it. This was their first email. Now I hadnt even mastered the tracks to send into the pressing plant yet at this point and was already planning to remove two tracks from the album previously because I felt like they didnt mesh as well with everything else and were too boring in comparison to everything else on the record (the mother track being one of the two). I wrote them and said no problem, I wasnt planning on putting it on anyway and also asked how they got a license from nintendo and if they could possibly forward me any info on how I could get in contact with them as I was very interested in getting licensing as well. Their response was equally as hostile, essentially "sorry we dont talk to bootlegger criminals". The next day I got a ton of emails from people asking if I was now working with STS and found out they took everyones email from the list and added them to their mailer, without anyones permission. This pissed me off so I spitefully put the track back on the album and then let everyone know that they essentially were releasing a literal copy of cd album that wasnt even a soundtrack, but an arranged album being deceptively sold as a soundtrack to people, under a mechanical license (from sony, not nintendo as they had claimed over and over).

I would have never done any of these things if they hadnt been so incredibly hostile from the start with me (and in retrospect wish I hadnt) and I have tried over and over to squash whatever bad blood there is but they continued to spread literal lies (like how I flipped a record on discogs, even though 100% of that sale was for charity) and literally spur people directly connected with them to post my HOME ADDRESS online with a message to "pay me a visit". Thats not just internet trolling or moralistic grandstanding anymore, thats fucking actual real life threats.

Ok, this is NOT what happened.

STS emailed me from the start with an extremely hostile letter saying how they had the mother license FROM NINTENDO and that they were going to sue me if I put it out because they now owned the rights to it. This was their first email. Now I hadnt even mastered the tracks to send into the pressing plant yet at this point and was already planning to remove two tracks from the album previously because I felt like they didnt mesh as well with everything else and were too boring in comparison to everything else on the record (the mother track being one of the two). I wrote them and said no problem, I wasnt planning on putting it on anyway and also asked how they got a license from nintendo and if they could possibly forward me any info on how I could get in contact with them as I was very interested in getting licensing as well. Their response was equally as hostile, essentially "sorry we dont talk to bootlegger criminals". The next day I got a ton of emails from people asking if I was now working with STS and found out they took everyones email from the list and added them to their mailer, without anyones permission. This pissed me off so I spitefully put the track back on the album and then let everyone know that they essentially were releasing a literal copy of cd album that wasnt even a soundtrack, but an arranged album being deceptively sold as a soundtrack to people, under a mechanical license (from sony, not nintendo as they had claimed over and over).

I would have never done any of these things if they hadnt been so incredibly hostile from the start with me (and in retrospect wish I hadnt) and I have tried over and over to squash whatever bad blood there is but they continued to spread literal lies (like how I flipped a record on discogs, even though 100% of that sale was for charity) and literally spur people directly connected with them to post my HOME ADDRESS online with a message to "pay me a visit". Thats not just internet trolling or moralistic grandstanding anymore, thats fucking actual real life threats.

Yeah, I didn't know the whole story, sorry. But I wasn't defending them either. Like I said, they didn't have the rights from Nintendo, but from Sony, so no rights to individual tracks, but I could see, that from their point of view, that they may see your record as detracting from sales of theirs. They went after it really aggressively, and likei said stole your email list, and posted tons of crap on social media, which bothered me. I personally thought their Kickstarter campaign was misleading, and brought up what it actually was on several forums (an arrangement album, with a medley only at the end on a D side). A lot of people were surprised by that, because most thought it was a straight OST. After all that I feel I can't support them.

Sorry to hear you regret it, while I really like that track, it's too bad it's caused you so many problems.

Yeah, I didn't know the whole story, sorry. But I wasn't defending them either. Like I said, they didn't have the rights from Nintendo, but from Sony, so no rights to individual tracks, but I could see, that from their point of view, that they may see your record as detracting from sales of theirs. They went after it really aggressively, and likei said stole your email list, and posted tons of crap on social media, which bothered me. I personally thought their Kickstarter campaign was misleading, and brought up what it actually was on several forums (an arrangement album, with a medley only at the end on a D side). A lot of people were surprised by that, because most thought it was a straight OST. After all that I feel I can't support them.

Sorry to hear you regret it, while I really like that track, it's too bad it's caused you so many problems.

Yeah not trying to attack you or anything Im sorry if it came off aggressive, its just extremely frustrating having to constantly debunk all this misinformation out there. 

About the Pokemon record: 'The most annoying being that they list the record is $50, which I did not authorize them to do whatsoever'

Just like GAME FREAK (who have legal digital music here) didn't authorize you to sell in the first place, right.

'I do not and have NEVER done this for money whatsoever'

Sure thing, I'm sure it was all going to the Mega Man and Zelda composers from the very start, right.

'not shitty vinyl “collectors” that buy records only as trophies to show off to other collectors.'

Half your audience mate.

'If all I cared about was ripping off nerds, I could just infinitely repress the mega man 2 or Zelda albums.'

Or you could bootleg a load of other releases.

'But Im not trying to be a business.'

Good luck with that Snatcher license.

'you can see how many labels have quickly popped up after me'

Ignoring the hundreds of game records released before him.

'uninspired soundtrack album design that’s generic as hell' 

Reference to his own bad album art.

'though for the record there are still labels like Iam8bit and datadiscs do awesome quality work and everyone should support them'

I'm sure they totally respect what all the hard work Moonshake does too.

Ninja Gaiden is coming out? I don't think Keiji Yamagishi/Brave Wave would be very happy about that (who they work closely with) at least they work directly with the original artists, do people actually believe he's sending all that profit from the Pokemon records to Junichi Masuda? Why such the big deal, it's half-ass work made out to be some glorious bootleg revolution. You can't make up excuses until you at least try attempt going legit, and asking your mailing list for lawyer help doesn't make it any easier.

Seriously, what did I do to you personally for you to have such a vendetta against me? Did bootleggers murder your parents as a child? I just dont understand how you can absolutely hate me and everything Ive made with such fevor. They are fucking game soundtracks for christsakes. You speak like Im Al Capone or something. 

Also, meanwhile Do-Jo music repressed the $20 Super Mario Bros 7" for like the 80th time, which is a counterfeit of an actual record that already exists, not even something specfically designed by them, and you are completely fine with that. 

Speaking of misinformation - have any receipts or proof that you paid the composers directly for their music? Would love to rescind my previous comments.

DM me your email.

and go follow masuda on twitter. something youll really enjoy will happen soon

also in the meantime, heres a bootleg autographed by some random guy who created the best castlevania game of all time

https://www.instagram.com/p/73jU1_EgIJ/?taken-by=unfortunateface