First Unitarian Church

Hey folks,

So this Friday I'm going to be making my first trip to the First Unitarian Church in Philly. Anything I need to know before I go? I know it's all ages but do they sell beer?I know it's pretty legendary and i'm excited!

As far as I remember, no beer is served. It is a church after all. There are drinking establishments nearby.

No biggie... what church in Pittsburgh? Do you remember the name?

Just found it, it was called the Altar. It looks like some seedy bar now, but it's in an old church. Last time I was up there, I was looking at the upcoming shows, they had a few Wu-tang members playing.

Hey folks, 

So this Friday I'm going to be making my first trip to the First Unitarian Church in Philly. Anything I need to know before I go? I know it's all ages but do they sell beer?I know it's pretty legendary and i'm excited!

You're in for a treat! The Church is hands down my favorite venue and I live right around the corner which makes it convenient too. I will be there for D4 and Night Birds too and things are going to get rowdy. It's hot as balls in the basement of the church. The sound is pretty damn good considering. There is a pizza spot on the same block. Decent, not great but definitely a plus. They only allow cans and plastic bottles. If you want to bring a flask you're good otherwise Monde Mart right next to Caffenation for craft cans and Colney for the cheap stuff in 6ers. Get there early and check out Long in the Tooth, one of the best record shops in Philly. 

It's the basement of the church. Bring your own booze (no glass).

wait. isnt this this place getting shut down?

Turns out they can't book as many shows there because of a youth group or something. R5 still hosts a decent amount of shows there, just not as many as they used to. I just caught Good Riddance, OWTH and Iron Chic there before the Pope showed up for the weekend. 

One bit of advice for if you're driving...there are a few parking lots within a short walking distance, but if you want free street parking go north of Market and try and stay between 18th-23rd. You'll find some meter spots where you only have to pay until 6 or 8 usually. The ones closer to the venue usually go later since they're near everything in that part of Center City.

Also, they opened up a 7/11 right around the corner if you want some quick stuff to eat during the show. They allow re-entry, so you can run there between bands

Just found it, it was called the Altar. It looks like some seedy bar now, but it's in an old church. Last time I was up there, I was looking at the upcoming shows, they had a few Wu-tang members playing.

My buddy books that venue, its not seedy in the slightest. The other church venue is mr smalls theatre