Help me before I lose my mind

So I have been employed at a well known hardware store (took name out just to be safe) for about 5 years now, only part time, doing other things freelance that I went to school for.

Last year I decided I wanted to go to University. I got into a Uni about an hour drive from where I live, so my girlfriend and I decided to move. Naturally I needed to transfer stores, what you would imagine to be a pretty easy thing to do.

In about april I let my HR manager know I was planning on moving in Aug and that I need a transfer. No problem she says. Fast forward to July, The HR at the new store is being EXTREMELY difficult in accepting me. Saying things like, "we have enough students". So after going back and forth he asks for my availability.... In july... I explain that I can give him my best guess, but school isn't really set. So finally LATE Aug I get the transfer.

(I should note I am starting part time first semester, engineering)

My first week of school I am scheduled to work 34 hours... I go to the store manager and tell him the situation and he seemed sympathetic, so I changed my availability (which met store standards I was told) and it was declined. The HR manager said that I gave them an availability and I need to stick with it, so fine, I do, I figure I can get rid of shifts and grit it for one semester and change it when the next one starts.

Which brings me to now. I changed my availability (full sat sun and 2 nights)... and it was declined. So I call in and talk to my manager, she pretty much lies and says that the I need to be available the weekends and 2 nights during the week, and that friday is part of the weekend?!?!

I get into it a bit with her saying that I am being treated differently from other associates. She says that she requires proof that I am in school these days. I told her its not really her right to ask me for that and she pretty much just said tough.

So I sent her it, and am waiting to hear back, but I have a feeling they are trying to get rid of me for some reason, and to be honest I don't really care about the job itself. They have a tuition reimbursement program which will pay for a ton of my schooling.

Any advice? Do i have any legal rights? (Canada BTW)

That all sounds like a bunch of BS.  As a part time associate, you should be able to tell this employer what you are available to work, and they can either schedule you on those days/times or not, as long as you give them proper notice, usually two weeks.

I would recommend looking at what your employee code of conduct or employee handbook (whatever they call it) says, and then reach out to HR with a solid case.  Stay professional and firm, and they should just back off if they are in the wrong. 

Ya i am generally pretty level headed, Ill argue things, but I dont really lose my cool or anything.

The problem with the "policy" is that some rules change store to store, which gives a crazy amount of power to managers that could not like you for no reason.

There is a place you can call to complain anonymously, I may do that tomorrow, to a least get some insight into the rules.

Even when I book a day off, I dont put a reason and it gets declined and says "need reason"

Like as if it is their business? The store I transferred from was nothing like this. I think I am going to edit out the employer in my OP...

just in case...

Maybe, Maybe not....

Ha.  I "bled orange" for way longer than I should have.  Regardless of my position, and regardless of whether I was part-time or full-time, my store was a joke.  My HR was worthless and I'd specifically go out of my way to get answers from sources above her instead of just wasting my breath.  I'm sure not all the stores are similar... but the folks who ran mine seemed to get off on the power-trip of making other people miserable, and being difficult to work with in general.  HR included.  Sorry you have to jump through those hoops.  I hope that something better presents itself to you sooner than later, or you're able to find a resolution at your new store.  The only way to get that sort of thing done involved a lot of time and a whole lot of brown-nosing – something I never really cared much to do.

Ha.  I "bled orange" for way longer than I should have.  Regardless of my position, and regardless of whether I was part-time or full-time, my store was a joke.  My HR was worthless and I'd specifically go out of my way to get answers from sources above her instead of just wasting my breath.  I'm sure not all the stores are similar... but the folks who ran mine seemed to get off on the power-trip of making other people miserable, and being difficult to work with in general.  HR included.  Sorry you have to jump through those hoops.  I hope that something better presents itself to you sooner than later, or you're able to find a resolution at your new store.  The only way to get that sort of thing done involved a lot of time and a whole lot of brown-nosing – something I never really cared much to do.

You know, Ive never really made an effort to advance in the company because I felt like the harder I try the more likely Ill be stuck there forever. It's just not the life for me. Im 26 years old, Im trying to go back to school and do something I will enjoy. As someone going back to school at this age, Its not like I have no bills and live at home. I have normal amount of expenses, not working is not much of an option.

It really sucks because I got along really well with most of the people from the store I transferred from. We had a really great HR (which is hard to come by) and overall great staff that were easy people to get along with. This new store is insane... since it's in a "school" area, there are a lot of transfers, and we all seem to think the same thing about this place.

I really don't want to lose the tuition program they offer, as its really good, but at the same time Im sitting on a vinyl website, venting my problems rather then studying for my exams....

It might just be in my best interest to get out.

You know, Ive never really made an effort to advance in the company because I felt like the harder I try the more likely Ill be stuck there forever. It's just not the life for me. Im 26 years old, Im trying to go back to school and do something I will enjoy. As someone going back to school at this age, Its not like I have no bills and live at home. I have normal amount of expenses, not working is not much of an option.

It really sucks because I got along really well with most of the people from the store I transferred from. We had a really great HR (which is hard to come by) and overall great staff that were easy people to get along with. This new store is insane... since it's in a "school" area, there are a lot of transfers, and we all seem to think the same thing about this place.

I really don't want to lose the tuition program they offer, as its really good, but at the same time Im sitting on a vinyl website, venting my problems rather then studying for my exams....

It might just be in my best interest to get out.

Just my two cents, coming from someone who graduated in engineering and worked part-to-full time during that;

if you can stick it out, go for it, but overall, obviously coursework will get much harder the longer you're in. I wouldn't sacrifice a decent education or your grades for a position that you'll eventually move on from anyway. On top of that, additional stress isn't necessary in your current position, either. 

If you can afford it, I'd cut ties and start looking more into an internship or co-op that would aid in tuition reimbursement, while supplying college credit.

I worked at Home Depot for two summers while also taking summer school. I was only taking 6 hours of classes at community college so that was easy to work around. Only thing is that part-timers always work 8 hour shifts Saturday and Sunday. But I could do the work hungover so it never interfered with my going out plans.

My situation was completely different and doesn't help you at all.

Go to your local government employment office (whatever your local province calls it) and explain your situation.

You are being treated unfairly, I had to manage a large staff (100+) at a previous job and had to be very careful about how things like this were handled and communicated.

Are you considered permanent part time?  Or are you "casual", temporary, or otherwise?  It's possible that you were bumped off of "permanent" part time when you transferred and/or changed your availability the first time.  Which, while a super shitty move, is legal, and would mean you're pretty much screwed.

Unless you can go to EI and prove you are being treated differently than other associates.

I worked part time for Lowes for 4 years and at 2 different stores, in 2 different states. If I were you I'd just quit and find a different job. I understand your sentiment though, being familiar with the work, having to transfer, etc. I dealt with a lot of the same issues, and no 2 stores are the same. Get out now. Wish I did a lot sooner, but I got to quit earlier this year to finish school.

You can really get tuition reimbursement for a part time job? You aren't going to find that in a lot of places.

Still, you'll want to quit the job in the summer and do an internship. Any engineering student with a brain can have no trouble getting a full time summer internship making near $20 / hour. Plus it's a resume booster (much more than HD) and gets your foot in the door for a full time job immediately upon graduation.

You can really get tuition reimbursement for a part time job? You aren't going to find that in a lot of places.

Still, you'll want to quit the job in the summer and do an internship. Any engineering student with a brain can have no trouble getting a full time summer internship making near $20 / hour. Plus it's a resume booster (much more than HD) and gets your foot in the door for a full time job immediately upon graduation.

Second this.  It probably won't be nearly as easy as he makes it out to be, but the biggest mistake I made in college was not looking for summer/part-time work relevant to my degree (IT).  As soon as you graduate, nobody is interested in helping you anymore.

Target's tuition reimbursement is only for supervisors and above and the course has to be relevant to Target, so that's pretty good. They were more willing to work around class schedules though, but all stores are not the same. When I worked there, I participated in a Target message board not affiliated with the company. Y'all don't have one of those?

• 3 months later...

I know I never really responded to this. but I did listen to all of your advice.

I quit that POS the other day.

Im going to work over the summer and try to save enough so that next year I dont have to work during school.

Thanks all for your advice, now I have to study for a physics final in 2 hours!

giphy.gif

I quit that POS the other day.

Good for you man! I've known far too many people who moan about their jobs day after day, and do nothing about it. Years later they're still in the exact same job, still moaning about the same old shit.

Definitely sounds like you made the right decision by leaving. I hope it goes well for you dude.