PO: David Bowie reissues

gmoney

You think it'd be okay to get copies of Heroes, Low & Scary Monsters now used or there's a possibility of a reissue? What was the story behind the David Bowie Five Years box, was it supposed to be an annual thing?

According to his website, it's the first in a series

http://davidbowie.com/fiveyears/

Picked up used copies of Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane last week on Discogs (still waiting on them). Glad I pulled the trigger on them before his passing, as the lowest prices are a little higher now.

I might have waited if I knew these were getting repressed on 180g assuming they're supposed to sound really good. 

According to his website, it's the first in a series

http://davidbowie.com/fiveyears/

So that possibly means the next boxset would be Thin White Duke era meets Berlin years?  That puts me in a dilemma as to buying Low used and Heroes used (every copy I've seen of them is in super worn out sleeves)

So that possibly means the next boxset would be Thin White Duke era meets Berlin years? That puts me in a dilemma as to buying Low used and Heroes used (every copy I've seen of them is in super worn out sleeves)

Well it would start with 'Diamond Dogs'. I guess it depends on the prices of 'Low' and 'Heroes' that your paying. I can see the next box coming out, but wouldn't know when. This one came out fairly recently.

Well it would start with 'Diamond Dogs'. I guess it depends on the prices of 'Low' and 'Heroes' that your paying. I can see the next box coming out, but wouldn't know when. This one came out fairly recently.

It's so weird to think about paying high prices for old Bowie records. I'm missing a couple albums, but for the last however many years they've been a Goodwill/Salvation Army staple. Why weren't people snagging these back then?

If the Ziggy Stardust is the same master as this release, http://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-The-Rise-And-Fall-Of-Ziggy-Stardust-And-The-Spiders-From-Mars/release/3642251, it will be good. That is supposed to be the best version of it. The hi-res files from it sound really good.

Can anyone comment whether this and the Five Years box set version of Ziggy are the same cut?

As I understand the 2012 standalone Ziggy is all AAA and the box set version is from digital files. This also means the new 2016 standalone version is also from digital.

It's so weird to think about paying high prices for old Bowie records. I'm missing a couple albums, but for the last however many years they've been a Goodwill/Salvation Army staple. Why weren't people snagging these back then?

For me sheer laziness and the nearest "good" record store being an hour away =/  And for some of the ones I was looking for like Low & Heroes, they've been 15$ or more for the last year on discogs and now they're way more.  

I wasn't going to pay more than what they originally were, so I'll have to look in record stores for a copy.  I backed out on buying the other albums in this boxset as they're 20$ on bullmoose.  10$ more for a brand new mint copy.

I have most of the bunch which were found at various record stores throughout the years. I think the priciest one was 'Low' and that was only $12. I never have any luck at goodwill/thrift shops. I'm missing 'Space Oddity' and 'TMWSTW', but I want the pre-ziggy pressings for the covers/jacket. Blue cover/dress cover.. they'll pop up one day.

I have most of the bunch which were found at various record stores throughout the years. I think the priciest one was 'Low' and that was only $12. I never have any luck at goodwill/thrift shops. I'm missing 'Space Oddity' and 'TMWSTW', but I want the pre-ziggy pressings for the covers/jacket. Blue cover/dress cover.. they'll pop up one day.

I did go ahead and order TMWSTW, and "Space Oddity" because I've never run across those at thrift stores, but I've been lucky enough to snag nice copies of a lot of earlier stuff for $.50-$2.00.

I nearly lost my mind in frustration one time when I found a near mint copy of the Ryko version of Heroes at Salvation Army...only to find that the record was missing from the cover and nowhere to be found. Would have cost me $.50 :(

My girlfriend's copy of Ziggy Stardust (record VG+, sleeve G) has a store barcode/price sticker on the back marked $1.99. The sticker is new enough that I suspect she picked it up in the late 90s or 00s and no earlier. If people were buying vinyl at the time like they're buying vinyl now, it probably would have been $10 easily.

Perfect timing, but I'm guessing these have been planned for a little while since they are releasing next month.

Also I don't know a ton about these yet. Will post when I have more info. I do know they are all 180 gram.

Amazon links:

Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust (2012 Remaster) - Feb. 26

Man Who Sold The World (2015 Remaster) - Feb. 26

These are currently the top preorders on Amazon. This Bowiexplosion is insane and awesome.

I did go ahead and order TMWSTW, and "Space Oddity" because I've never run across those at thrift stores, but I've been lucky enough to snag nice copies of a lot of earlier stuff for $.50-$2.00.

I nearly lost my mind in frustration one time when I found a near mint copy of the Ryko version of Heroes at Salvation Army...only to find that the record was missing from the cover and nowhere to be found. Would have cost me $.50 :(

I found a 1968 Mono copy of "Are You Experienced?"still in shrink. No record. Thats a $150+ record. Ive had people on Discogs send me cash offers for just the jacket lol. I keep hoping to find the record in there one day.

Yep. I have been buying vinyl for 27 years. About 10-15 years ago you couldn't give it away. People dumped whole collections, but those days are long gone.

Anyway, out of every single LP I own, my pressing of Ziggy is the thinnest record I own, almost a flexi, but the sound quality is good. I did look on discogs to see which pressing it is but there are 213 versions and I can't locate the actual record at the moment.

I found a 1968 Mono copy of "Are You Experienced?"still in shrink. No record. Thats a $150+ record. Ive had people on Discogs send me cash offers for just the jacket lol. I keep hoping to find the record in there one day.

I'm not a huge Hendrix guy, but that must have been a heartbreaker!

Yep. I have been buying vinyl for 27 years. About 10-15 years ago you couldn't give it away. People dumped whole collections, but those days are long gone.

Anyway, out of every single LP I own, my pressing of Ziggy is the thinnest record I own, almost a flexi, but the sound quality is good. I did look on discogs to see which pressing it is but there are 213 versions and I can't locate the actual record at the moment.

Yeah those Dynaflex records are thin as hell but they sound excellent. 

Aaaah, that rings a bell actually.

It will have an orange label and a dynaflex logo on it.. super thin yet they don't sound bad at all. It's all about the mastering/cutting. That's why I was annoyed about the 180g hype when it started gaining steam years ago and is almost standard today.

Yeah, if you've seen Bowie records in a thrift store for cheap where you live, you are lucky. If I ever see any of his records used at a record store near me in good condition, especially his earlier albums, they are at least in the $20ish range. But I tend to think used records are pretty overpriced in general where I life (Salt Lake City).

I mean...I am talking about the last 11 years of collecting, not just this past year or anything like that.

I've definitely been lucky to find some, but I snagged nice copies of Hunky Dory, Scary Monsters, Low, Let's Dance and Young Americans for between $.50 and...maybe $2 for one of them at thrift stores, and paid $3 and $5 for Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs at record stores "back in my day." Most of those thrift finds were actually within the last 3 years though.

That said, I also remember walking into a record store and buying a beautiful first US press Black Sabbath - Paranoid for $3 back in 2005...I think on the same trip I got that Ziggy. I'm not one of those guys who is going to constantly bitch about stuff being too expensive now, but record collecting was way more fun then.