[PO] Katatonia \\ The Fall of Hearts

PO's (European, at least) have been launched for the new Katatonia album, The Fall of Hearts, which is out May 20th. Looks like there will be a standard 2x LP, as well as a 2x10" with a bonus track included with the "hardbook" edition. Not sure how the album will fit on to a 2x10", given the running time of the standard edition is nearly 63 minutes. I'll continue to add links as they pop up.

The Fall Of Hearts 

1. Takeover [07:09]
2. Serein [04:46]
3. Old Heart Falls [04:22]
4. Decima [04:46]
5. Sanction [05:07]
6. Residual [06:54]
7. Serac [07:25]
8. Last Song Before The Fade [05:01]
9. Shifts [04:54]
10. The Night Subscriber [06:10]
11. Pale Flag [04:23]
12. Passer [06:25]

Album Teaser:

PO Links

Katatonia EU (UK) Store: http://www.omerch.eu/shop/katatonia

Napalm Records EU - 2x LP (Black): https://shop.napalmrecords.com/katatonia-the-fall-of-hearts-black-2lp.html

Didn't they have the same puzzling 10" set for Dead End Kings? I seem to remember something similar.

Yes they did the same art book double 10" & CD set for Dead End Kings, I have it and being a fan of the bands art I've gotta say its a lovely set.

Pre-ordered the art book this time around too.

I'll likely hold off until closer to release date as well. Though the artbook is tempting, because Travis Smith's artwork is among my favorite and I'm a sucker for 5.1 mixes.

I'm really curious on how this album is going to sound. That trailer sounds like a logical progression from Dead End Kings, but they posted some footage from the drum sessions and it was pretty intense. Lots of double bass, crazy 32nd note fills and even some blast beats. A few of these songs are among the longest they've written in about 20 years as well. That 7 minute opener really piques my interest.

A few of these songs are among the longest they've written in about 20 years as well. That 7 minute opener really piques my interest.

After ordering I've been binge listening to everything to hype myself up but I will confess the long track times have me at feverish levels of anticipation. Would love for some really heavy stuff with some Akerfeldt-ian screaming (doesn't have to be Akerfeldt but I don't think it'll ever be Jonas again) but even if it treads the same mellower path of Dead End Kings I'll be happy. There's little in their whole discography that I dislike so whatever this turns out like I'm sure it'll be worth the investment.

After ordering I've been binge listening to everything to hype myself up but I will confess the long track times have me at feverish levels of anticipation. Would love for some really heavy stuff with some Akerfeldt-ian screaming (doesn't have to be Akerfeldt but I don't think it'll ever be Jonas again) but even if it treads the same mellower path of Dead End Kings I'll be happy. There's little in their whole discography that I dislike so whatever this turns out like I'm sure it'll be worth the investment.

Makes me wanna cry when I think about Akerfeldt's growls...miss'em! :(

• 2 weeks later...

New song, same as what was previewed in the initial trailer. Certainly a logical progression from Dead End Kings. Not totally feeling it yet, though I know it won't be representative of the full album. Really can't recall the last time Jonas sang at a register as high as he does in the chorus though, certainly intriguing.

• 2 weeks later...

Not strictly Fall Of Hearts related but the band have announced a special London gig that goes on sale Friday where they will be playing The Great Cold Distance in full followed by an intermission and then another live set mixing in music from their whole discography.

Alongside this announcement the band have stated that Peaceville plan on reprinting The Great Cold Distance on vinyl.

• 1 month later...

Just came home to my Fall Of Hearts art book and listened to the album straight through twice (with all the extra tracks it runs to over an hour and twenty minutes). Some pretty technical guitar work throughout, I'd call it an improvement on Dead End Kings as far as the album goes.

As far as the art book goes it's a little light on art unlike the previous album's equivalent with just murky photographs, a portrait of each band member and the lyrics. Still quite a nice package overall.

47 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Those who ordered the gold from Napalm: Did anybody get a shipping confirmation yet?

Yes, I received my shipping confirmation on Wednesday. I would assume it would show up around the middle of next week or so. That's usually the time frame for Napalm orders to the US.