worst thing ever happened today.

I thought you guys would enjoy this story cause I'm absolutely fuming right now.

I am in the process of moving, and I don't drive so my parents have been helping me move. Anyway, I said that I wanted to move my vinyl collection myself to make sure it was ok.

I brought my albums over last week no worries, but tonight I got home to see singles strewn across my bed, covered in dirt and grass and a lot of them out of their cases. I asked my sister what was going on, and apparently my mum decided to bring them over for me and dropped them when she got out of the car. She seems to have mainly dropped my nofx seven inch club records, a bunch are scratched, chipped on the edges and basically stuffed now. Also a few against me singles and stuff but nothing else as "rare" was wrecked.

I am really angry and upset cause there were also the coloured editions and I had kept them very safely, most had only been listened to once or twice to copy to tape.

I have insurance and I specified money towards my record collection, but I dont know if it would cover dropping records in the street >:(

So what should I do? I'm angry cause I dont usually keep records mint but I do keep them very well and these were something I wanted to keep as a set, its upsetting cause I cant replace them, the chips are on the edges so they may still be listenable, is anyone sure?

How much would I be up for to replace them, also. I kinda feel like selling them off on ebay for nothing and just getting them out of my sight. I am probably just having a hissy fit but I cant help but feel really sad/angry about the whole situation.

thats a damn shame. hang onto them until you have simmered right down then decide what to do. if they are playable, keep em! no use in selling damaged stuff coz people wont spend much on them. if you were going to keep them anyway, it doenst matter that much that they are little bunged up does it?

the actual broken ones - well, thats a different story. i would make a list of them, turf them straight out so you dont have to look at them and then slowly build them back up through ebay and internetting. you may need to pay lots to replace them, so you may end up thinking they werent worht that much to you anyway...

as far as insurance goes, depends on the policy. if it covers accidental damage, then you're set. do you have the policy or does your mum? when you're done psychologically torturing her for wrecking your collection, ask her about that.

I just moved into my own place, so the insurance is in my name, I cant remember if I got accidental or not, but I'll look over my policy.

I think I'll get over it and evetually decide I want to keep them, scratches are punk, right?

when I'm rich I might try to collect them on ebay. Well, not that rich, but richer.

That sucks. I've moved four times in my life, including across the country. I've had to move thousands of records each time. I've had tons of friends and family help me move but I never let another person move any of the boxes that my records were in. Not worth the risk to me. Even the most trustworthy and careful person can have an accident.

i know how you feel. I once got a buddy of mine to pick some records up at my parents when i moved out, as i couldnt fit all my records into my friends car.. ANyway, he wound up picking them up> when i called to ask about them, he said they were there and safe.. He didnt bother to tell me that he had kept them in his car for almost 2 weeks in the hot ass sun. To my dismay i wound up going to pick them up and he pointed me toward his vehicle. after laying them out, i coudlnt even look at them. There was wax literally bent over the actual record sleeves, some were warped beyond all repair, and thre rest were just flat. You have to remember, i live in TX and in the summer it gets around 100 in the summer. ABout 1/2 of my albums in the that crate alone were pretty rare, so i couldn't just replace them, and messageboards were rare as regards to buying as it was 96'. He then had the gall to tell me "i don't see why you're upset, that's the last time i do you a favor.. So i feel your pain

both of those stories are terrible...I feel bad for you guys.

I yell at my younger brother if he borrows a cd of mine and gets a little scuff on it, hahaha. So I'd probably kill a man if someone damaged a lot of my records.

did your mom offer to pay you for some of them or anything? You could still sell the set for quite a bit of money, I think, and then maybe your mom could pay the remaining amount?