No Idea to start inserting download codes into LPs

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe to the $3 cd in the sleeve, definitely to the bonus 7". Your LP prices are already pretty good, so it wouldn't break the bank too much for me.

Glad you mentioned that. This is along the lines of my thinking. We keep prices low, such that to add extras can sometimes be a burden, especially if these extras were to potentially cut into the CD sales. So the questions I have asked are genuine. Just curious to get some takes on it. Some "larger releases" that came with a CD thrown in were close to a $10 WHOLESALE, so it does make me think that $10 mailorder for an LP/CD combo is pretty much a deal. If we ever experiment with this, it will be for mailorder only. Not for full release. I find that vinyl is doing just fine, honestly. It's always been our forte. We've never had to CONVINCE people to go for vinyl. Ha!

I also feel like the bands should get a bigger cut if there is an LP+CD option, meaning a slightly higher price is required for the combo.

I also feel that NOTHING a label does effects iTunes sales, including having public free downloads (case in point: Defiance, Ohio). People who want to use iTunes just use iTunes. Basically.

Glad you mentioned that. This is along the lines of my thinking. We keep prices low, such that to add extras can sometimes be a burden, especially if these extras were to potentially cut into the CD sales. So the questions I have asked are genuine. Just curious to get some takes on it. Some "larger releases" that came with a CD thrown in were close to a $10 WHOLESALE, so it does make me think that $10 mailorder for an LP/CD combo is pretty much a deal. If we ever experiment with this, it will be for mailorder only. Not for full release. I find that vinyl is doing just fine, honestly. It's always been our forte. We've never had to CONVINCE people to go for vinyl. Ha!

I also feel like the bands should get a bigger cut if there is an LP+CD option, meaning a slightly higher price is required for the combo.

I also feel that NOTHING a label does effects iTunes sales, including having public free downloads (case in point: Defiance, Ohio). People who want to use iTunes just use iTunes. Basically.

I find alot of this really fascinating. The iTunes thing especially. I wonder if that is because the people buying on iTunes are more casual listeners and aren't aware that the music can be found for free or if they are hardcore listeners who know they can find the music for free, but feel that they want to support the band by paying for it. I personally found The Fear x3 online, heard it, then bought the album and their previous two so I'd fall into the latter group.

As for giving the band more of a cut of the sales, hence charging more for the LP/CD combo I think that would take more thought. I personally am more likely to buy an LP if it comes with a CD/download so you're more likely to get my money if you include either of those. This could lead to bigger sales for records and therefore more money for the band. If you then went and raised the price, some of this increase in sales may go away and you could end up either better off, the same, or worse. I'd be very interested to know what ends up happening if you choose to do this.

If you want real sound quality you need at least 900kbps. Right? You nerds know what I'm talking about. The files are actually bigger then they would be on a reel-to-reel. Sounds great.

Zinger!

I would pay $3, or at least think about paying $3 for access to a high-quality mp3 download of the LP. It would save me time making my own mp3s. That said I think for $3 you'd want real high-quality format or lossless of some kind. With some of the "extra" revenue you could invest in different/better hosting. I think Saddle Creek has a separate server for their downloads.

I find alot of this really fascinating. The iTunes thing especially. I wonder if that is because the people buying on iTunes are more casual listeners and aren't aware that the music can be found for free or if they are hardcore listeners who know they can find the music for free, but feel that they want to support the band by paying for it. I personally found The Fear x3 online, heard it, then bought the album and their previous two so I'd fall into the latter group.

What's funny is all the reviews on iTunes for D'OH mention that the downloads are FREE on the band's own site... and list the band's site, right there. You can't help but see the info. Funny.

so they can insert a download code but cant insert a slip that tells you the actual name of the color of your lp or the pressing.

It's because we hate you. Just you. Everyone else is cool. >:( and it would be a colossal waste of our time. We generally notate variants with direct mailorders. everyone else can eat it. Haha. :'( :'( :'(

so they can insert a download code but cant insert a slip that tells you the actual name of the color of your lp or the pressing.

It's because we hate you. Just you. Everyone else is cool. >:( and it would be a colossal waste of our time. We generally notate variants with direct mailorders. everyone else can eat it. Haha. :'( :'( :'(

Is it just me, or has this place got a little bit more fun since Var started posting?

Odd part is, figuring out the colors can be a chore but only seldomly. Its not very often its a big deal or not overtly obvious. I think it becomes a big deal when people try to figure out if they've got the super-special limited to two color.

And yes, much more fun since Var joined in, for damn sure.

How come there's no emoticon for poop? Cartoon poop is always funny and always emotive. It could be giggling. A giggling cartoon poop.

I'll create a cartoony poop but only Var can use it. :D

I'm on board in general for any kind of package deals NI! throws out there. I usually go both formats if its something I really like and usually CD or 7" if it's a band I am just getting aquainted with. (You never take a girl out to the really nice place to eat on the first date, do you? Start with an IHoP or Denny's and work your way up to the Macaroni Grill and Ichiban later on. If that makes any sense at all.)

so this thread is pretty much all things no idea now

just found this. not sure if pictures had been shown on here yet, but second pressing of dont believe by NMDS

different cover art.

[image]

picture courtesy of our good friend salaho/different kitchen records

Thanks, the colour of vinyl varies quite considerably among the Purples & Greys, no surprise

I suppose, now if anyone has the European Tour cover.................