MLB Discussion

Speaking of catchers, is it completely unreasonable for me to think the Twins should have Mauer leading off, instead of batting 3rd? I mean, he won't ever duplicate his MVP season, and can't (or won't) hit for power, especially now that we play at Target Field. I've heard that he could hit 30+ home runs every year if he tweaked his swing, but chooses to hit for average instead. I just don't understand why you have someone batting third that averages about 10-15 home runs, and 70-80 RBIs a year.

Seriously look at how awful that team's offensive stats were last year. If you were building a team from scratch, you would take Mauer, maybe Dozier, and throw everyone else back. Most not even bench material. And they lost one of their least disgusting hitters (Morneau) in the offseason.

Just saying -- Mauer's talents are going to waste if he gets on base and no one can knock him in or if he gets a single and there is no one in scoring position, so I don't think it matters much. He'd have raked in 110 RBIs, maybe more, if he Ellsbury and Pedroia we're pounding the base paths in front of him.

Votto I see as a different story. He's a do-it-all guy when right. No team would ever move him out of the 3 spot.

Seriously look at how awful that team's offensive stats were last year. If you were building a team from scratch, you would take Mauer, maybe Dozier, and throw everyone else back. Most not even bench material. And they lost one of their least disgusting hitters (Morneau) in the offseason.

Just saying -- Mauer's talents are going to waste if he gets on base and no one can knock him in or if he gets a single and there is no one in scoring position, so I don't think it matters much. He'd have raked in 110 RBIs, maybe more, if he Ellsbury and Pedroia we're pounding the base paths in front of him.

Votto I see as a different story. He's a do-it-all guy when right. No team would ever move him out of the 3 spot.

they lost morneau in august when they traded him to pittsburgh, but i definitely agree with you about it doesnt matter where mauer hits if he's got no one around him to get on base or drive him in

Well not as an ace or a number two in the rotation. I guess I'm not too familiar with him being a west coast guy, and I don't have a baseball tv package. I just looked at his stats, but that doesn't always tell the story. A lot of people, such as local media, like the signing.

It sounds like our rotation will consist of Nolasco, Hughes, Pelfrey, Correia, and maybe Gibson? The fifth spot is between Gibson, Diamond, Albers, and maybe Duensing. Don't see Worley being a part of this team.

Maldonado is a prototypical backup catcher.  Great defense, calls a good / great game and has some power (for a catcher). His bat will never be good but he does have above average power.  I've always thought that he's got the potential to turn into a Henry Blanco type catcher.  Not saying that he's going to play till he's,...uh 70.  I think thats how old Blanco is.

yeah - Maldonado is the best kind of back up catcher to have.  Lucroy is awesome but it's nice to have a good defensive and smart catcher behind the plate when Luc gets his normal days off

AdamMcCalvy

Source says Francisco Rodriguez would get a Major League contract from the #Brewers. Story coming to the site.

2/7/14, 1:56 PM

what the fuck

You are upset about this? I know he's a roller coaster ride but look at his stats and tell me what the problem is. He had a 3.4 ERA as a Brewer. If he comes relatively cheap (couple million a year) he's a steal.

I think it's a little off base to bump his career numbers up against the signing. He is clearly not the guy that the Angels had in the early 2000s. I think 3.5 mil is a steal for him, though. That's not much more than we paid for Joba Chamberlain's shitty stats.

winston-cake.gif