MLB Discussion

Tanaka suffered just one loss overall in his historic 2013 season -- a 160-pitch (yes, 160) complete-game loss in Game 6 of the Japan Series (NPB's championship series). Incredibly, Tanaka asked for the ball the very next day and closed out the Golden Eagles' championship victory by throwing 15 pitches in the series clincher.

Overall, his career numbers are almost as impressive as his 2013 campaign. Tanaka debuted as an 18-year-old in 2007 but still hurled 186 1/3 innings. Since that time, he's pitched to a 2.30 ERA with 8.5 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9 in 1315 career regular-season innings -- all coming with the Golden Eagles.

160 pitch game?  then pitched the next day?  1300 innings in his career?  this kids arm is going to explode if the yankees run him out there 190+ innings a year.  i mean, thats a shitload of innings in 6 years of ball in Japan.  i mean, look at how crazy this is...

28 games started, 186 innings pitched (6.2 ip/g)

24 games started, 172 innings pitched (7.1 ip/g)

24 games started, 189 innings pitched (7.2 ip/g)

20 games started, 155 innings pitched (7.2 ip/g)

27 games started, 226 innings pitched (8.1 ip/g)

22 games started, 173 innings pitched (7.2 ip/g)

27 games started, 212 innings pitched (7.2 ip/g)

160 pitch game?  then pitched the next day?  1300 innings in his career?  this kids arm is going to explode if the yankees run him out there 190+ innings a year.  i mean, thats a shitload of innings in 6 years of ball in Japan.  i mean, look at how crazy this is...

28 games started, 186 innings pitched (6.2 ip/g)

24 games started, 172 innings pitched (7.1 ip/g)

24 games started, 189 innings pitched (7.2 ip/g)

20 games started, 155 innings pitched (7.2 ip/g)

27 games started, 226 innings pitched (8.1 ip/g)

22 games started, 173 innings pitched (7.2 ip/g)

27 games started, 212 innings pitched (7.2 ip/g)

I'm guessing this has something to do with the 4 year opt out clause they put in the contract.  

Guess it's really a 175 million dollar contract when you count the posting fee. I'm not sure why you wouldn't -- It's not like you look at value of a contract after an agent (or anyone else) takes a share. Look at it from the team's point of view. Makes him tied with Felix for the 3rd richest contract for a pitcher ever, behind Kershaw and JV.

no way he matches king felix, or darvish for that matter. i think every international signing in the past three has been a bargain (darvish, cespedes, puig, iwakuma, leonys martin, even nori aoki) and maybe tanaka's signing was the perfect storm of need + confidence in the market. but if he can't put up 4-WAR seasons consistently he will be a bust and we all know that's a lot to ask for from an unproven guy let alone one of the league's best.

Guess it's really a 175 million dollar contract when you count the posting fee. I'm not sure why you wouldn't -- It's not like you look at value of a contract after an agent (or anyone else) takes a share. Look at it from the team's point of view. Makes him tied with Felix for the 3rd richest contract for a pitcher ever, behind Kershaw and JV.

yeah, those posting fees are prorated across the life of the contract if i'm not mistaken, too, so it's definitely worth adding in. i wasn't aware of the posting fee. thanks.

no way he matches king felix, or darvish for that matter. i think every international signing in the past three has been a bargain (darvish, cespedes, puig, iwakuma, leonys martin, even nori aoki) and maybe tanaka's signing was the perfect storm of need + confidence in the market. but if he can't put up 4-WAR seasons consistently he will be a bust and we all know that's a lot to ask for from an unproven guy let alone one of the league's best.

yeah, those posting fees are prorated across the life of the contract if i'm not mistaken, too, so it's definitely worth adding in. i wasn't aware of the posting fee. thanks.

posting fee is separate.  its paid over two years in 6 (or 8?) installments to the NPB team, its not calculated into the avg yearly salary a player gets because the posting fee goes to the japanese team, not the player

i was wrong, 4 payments

• 50 percent of posting fee due within 14 days of the submission of the posted player's contract (for the Rakuten Golden Eagles, that would mean $10MM on Feb. 7).
  • 17 percent of the posting fee due within six months of the submission of the posted player's contract ($3.4MM for the Golden Eagles on July 24).
  • 17 percent of the posting fee due within 12 months of the submission of the posted player's contract ($3.4MM for the Golden Eagles on Jan. 24, 2015).
  • 16 percent of the posting fee due within 18 months of the submission of the posted player's contract ($3.2MM for the Golden Eagles on July 24, 2015).