MLB Discussion

posting fee is separate.  its paid over two years in 6 (or 8?) installments to the NPB team, its not calculated into the avg yearly salary a player gets because the posting fee goes to the japanese team, not the player

The important number is what the team is paying in total for the services, which is $175 million. Trying to separate the money into different bins is just playing games with the numbers. If the yanks had posted a $155 million dollar posting fee with $20 million in salary to Tanaka, would we be here saying "holy shit! The Yanks bit Tanaka for 7 years at $20 million total!"

The important number is what the team is paying in total for the services, which is $175 million. Trying to separate the money into different bins is just playing games with the numbers. If the yanks had posted a $155 million dollar posting fee with $20 million in salary to Tanaka, would we be here saying "holy shit! The Yanks bit Tanaka for 7 years at $20 million total!"

okay?  but that will never happen again, ever.  EVERYONE was paying that 20 million to the posting team, so no matter who signed Tanaka would have had that 20 million increase on the total number, making it completely irrelevant in terms of the total commitment.  the negotiated salary is whats going to be different team to team, no longer the posting fee.  

I wish the Brewers could spend that much money

instead i get to watch the 1B battle between Lyle Overbay, Juan Francisco, and Mark Reynolds this spring and it is going to be amazingly awful.

maybe hunter morris can seize the starting job from all of them and put you out of your misery

okay? but that will never happen again, ever. EVERYONE was paying that 20 million to the posting team, so no matter who signed Tanaka would have had that 20 million increase on the total number, making it completely irrelevant in terms of the total commitment. the negotiated salary is whats going to be different team to team, no longer the posting fee.

Still don't see a reason to not count it when you are talking about the total deal. Important number is what the team is paying for a player's services. By this logic, when we talk about Trout's contract coming up we should save something like "EVERYONE is going to want to offer him at least a $100 million dollar contract, so we should take that number out of the total salary and talk about what teams are willing to pay in top of it"

Still don't see a reason to not count it when you are talking about the total deal. Important number is what the team is paying for a player's services. By this logic, when we talk about Trout's contract coming up we should save something like "EVERYONE is going to want to offer him at least a $100 million dollar contract, so we should take that number out of the total salary and talk about what teams are willing to pay in top of it"

this is totally different than your Trout senario because no one is allowed to GIVE the Angels money to negotiate with Trout.  Thats what this is.  teams GIVING the other team 20 million dollars JUST to negotiate a contract.  it doesnt count towards salary totals, it doesnt count towards salary earnings, its a completely separate set of money that has no financial impact for the player.  that is why it is separate and it'll probably barely be discussed much at all after his first year of his $155 million dollar contract.  when you talk about team salary totals you will not include 20 million dollars.

the a's sign eric o'flaherty who is coming off of tommy john surgery and is "expected" to be mound ready by july. im gonna just have to trust billy on this one

Upset that the A's got another good braves pitcher. O'Flaherty was ROLLING as a set up man for Kimbrel before he blew his elbow

maybe hunter morris can seize the starting job from all of them and put you out of your misery

well Overbay has a March 22nd out clause if he's not on the MLB roster he can choose free agency.  so knowing that I think he's really only with the team for injury purposes (something brewers 1Bmen (Hart, Green, Gamel) cant avoid since Fielder left) and wont be with the team come April.  1B will more than likely be Reynolds/Francisco to start the season, Morris will stay in AAA for the start, but man, I REALLY hope he kills it in spring training and the Brewers just go with him and Francisco to start the season.  We've already got one 200 strikeout batter on the team (weeks), we dont need a second (reynolds).

well Overbay has a March 22nd out clause if he's not on the MLB roster he can choose free agency.  so knowing that I think he's really only with the team for injury purposes (something brewers 1Bmen (Hart, Green, Gamel) cant avoid since Fielder left) and wont be with the team come April.  1B will more than likely be Reynolds/Francisco to start the season, Morris will stay in AAA for the start, but man, I REALLY hope he kills it in spring training and the Brewers just go with him and Francisco to start the season.  We've already got one 200 strikeout batter on the team (weeks), we dont need a second (reynolds).

Francisco isn't much better than that

this is totally different than your Trout senario because no one is allowed to GIVE the Angels money to negotiate with Trout. Thats what this is. teams GIVING the other team 20 million dollars JUST to negotiate a contract. it doesnt count towards salary totals, it doesnt count towards salary earnings, its a completely separate set of money that has no financial impact for the player. that is why it is separate and it'll probably barely be discussed much at all after his first year of his $155 million dollar contract. when you talk about team salary totals you will not include 20 million dollars.

I understand how posting works. The only reason I am making this point is that people are stacking it up against the other biggest deals be given to a pitcher. In my mind, Tanaka got a bigger deal than CC. Money that is directly attributable to signing a player should be considered "payroll". Anything else is semantics.

If the Yanks ever actually try to get under the luxury tax, then yeah, $155 is the number that matters. For purposes of comparing the largest contracts of all time, $175 is the number that matters. It's how much money they put up for Tanaka.

Then where is DiceK in your example? He got around 100 mil for his contract, then over 50 mil for his posting fee, yet no one ever has said that Dice K is one of the alltime top pitchers paid, not even before Verlander, Felix and Kershaw got their deals. The fact of the matter is that the posting doesnt count, no one  counts it but you. You do realize teams spend other money besides salaries right? They dont include the cost of physical therapy, the new massage therapists, ice tanks, batting cages, etc etc that they buy for their players in their salary, They dont count the cost of ads promoting certain players into their salary.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 

brewers are apparently signing a FA SP tomorrow?  Apparently its Garza?!  i'll be shocked if that happens

edit:

@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #Brewers have been in discussions with Garza, believed to be four years, $52M.  Pursuit first reported by @brewernation

Damn, hope Garza can stay healthy.  Now I'm curious if the Brewers try and trade Lohse while his value is as high as it ever will be.  I know it's not likely as the Brewers roster is starting to look pretty good.   The rotation headlined by Lohse, Yovanni and Garza is well above average.  Peralta and Estrada are also great 4/5.  The offense has a large amount of upside.  Especially if they can muster out passable production from 1st base with some combination of Reynolds, Fransisco, Halton and OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooverby.

Best part is no Draft Pick compensation needed.  Huzzah...!!!!

Damn, hope Garza can stay healthy.  Now I'm curious if the Brewers try and trade Lohse while his value is as high as it ever will be.  I know it's not likely as the Brewers roster is starting to look pretty good.   The rotation headlined by Lohse, Yovanni and Garza is well above average.  Peralta and Estrada are also great 4/5.  The offense has a large amount of upside.  Especially if they can muster out passable production from 1st base with some combination of Reynolds, Fransisco, Halton and OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooverby.

Best part is no Draft Pick compensation needed.  Huzzah...!!!!

doubt they move any pitcher, but if they do, it'll be Gallardo or no one.  he's a free agent next year and if they're not in the picture come June/July he'll be dealt.  they are not going to resign him in the winter, he'll get a 1 year QO to lock in a draft pick comp for losing him and they'll watch him go. 

gallardo's stock can really only go up at this point so hopefully they can get a good return on him in july. (not quite true but close.) they should let will smith flourish. their rotation actually isn't that bad with lohse, garza, estrada, peralta and gallardo.

also, i agree with lebowski. his salary is $155 million for payroll purposes, but the yankees paid $175 million to acquire him, which is more than what they paid on a per-year basis to acquire sabathia, regardless of where the money went. 

I don't see Gallardo bringing to much in return.  Lohse on the other hand being controlled for two years and having the playoff experience should be able to bring a reasonably high return. 

A deal isn't likely because the Brewers should be looking at making a playoff run now, with the Garza addition.  The other thing is the major league roster doesn't have to many areas that need obvious upgrades.  It's not like the Brewers have studs at every position but they don't have many glaring weakness' anymore.  1st base and 2nd base are the biggest areas of need but even those two areas are solid.  Weeks is done but Gennett is capable.  He definitely overpreformed last year but he still has a Darwn Barney floor with a extremely poor mans Pedrioa upside.  1st base is the area that I'd still like to get a long term solution.  To be fair in the short term I think you can get league average production out of Reynolds and company.  While Ike Davis isn't a guy I'm sold on I'd still like to see the Brewers keep a lowball offer on the table for him.  Hellweg at the most.

Overall I'm a happy camper, yet it still keeps the Brewers in a bad spot long term.  The farm system is in shambles with limited signs hope.  Until the Brewers can start drafting and developing talent they will be stuck having an upside of eeking out a playoff spot.

The Garza signing makes all the more sense as to why the Brewers went out and signed Overbay/Reynolds to Minor league deals with MLB roster invites.  I still think Morris or Jason Rogers is the future of 1B for the Brewers, I just dont think either will get a shot this year which is okay by me, Morris wasnt all that stellar in AAA last year and Rogers is still in AA/AAA. 

I really like Gennett, I think he's going to continue to surprise people this year with getting a majority of time at 2B in the majors

I am pretty shocked on the Garza trade. my best is Reynolds wins the 1B job coming out of the spring. He carries the team for a month then just completely falls off the radar.

I am trying to figure out if I am more shocked my the Garza or Sizemore signing. God what Sizemore could have been with us if he would have stayed healthy. He was an absolute monster in CF. From 05-09 this is what he did:

- 107 HR

- 325 RBI

- 115 SB

- and an avg around the .282 mark.

and on top of this his defense was unbelievable. god I wish he would have stayed healthy.