MLB Discussion

I bought it one year and barely turned it on in the second half of the season. I LOVE baseball but it was just too much.

It would be really good for someone who lives out of their home market. I bought it thinking that I would get the Tigers in HD (I'm a cut the cord guy). You are blacked out of local games, though. Ended up watching Tigers via streams, going to bars, listening on the radio, etc instead of watching random games on MLB.tv.

Also, you cannot share it to cut the cost like you can with things like Netflix. You cannot have more than one person logged in at a time.

Given your situation, it does seem like a good fit, though.

I believe you can listen to every game on mobile (that includes local games) with at bat for $20 a year.

gotcha. thanks for all the info man!

yeah I knew about listening to them via at bat but I do enjoy watching baseball even though we have one of the best guys do the radio broadcasts.

if I am only going to be blacked out of games when they come down to the Trop then I may have to jump on this. I cannot go this entire summer and not watch the Tribe.

I believe you can listen to every game on mobile (that includes local games) with at bat for $20 a year.

Oh, I don't need it anymore since I live near LA again. It was great when I was on the east coast.

Basically, what everyone else said - it's great if you live out of your favorite team's market. It's also great if you just like watching any baseball game like I do. The games that are blacked out are any nationally televised games and then any games televised in the area you live in (so, for example, if you live near Tampa and the Indians were playing the Rays you wouldn't be able to watch on mlb.tv). (Edit: you already said that part)

Also, you cannot share it to cut the cost like you can with things like Netflix. You cannot have more than one person logged in at a time.

I don't this is true anymore. I use two different friends' accounts and we watch games at the same time. I think it even says somewhere on the site that up to x amount of people can log in at a time. But two of us were using the same account at the same time at work yesterday with no problem.

There's also a very simple workaround for local blackouts. You can change your router settings to show that you're in some other country and you can then access all teams' games.

I bought it one year and barely turned it on in the second half of the season. I LOVE baseball but it was just too much.

It would be really good for someone who lives out of their home market. I bought it thinking that I would get the Tigers in HD (I'm a cut the cord guy). You are blacked out of local games, though. Ended up watching Tigers via streams, going to bars, listening on the radio, etc instead of watching random games on MLB.tv.

Given your situation, it does seem like a good fit, though.

not true, you can have up to 3 or 5 people logged in at one time if im not mistaken.  my buddy buys this every year and gives me his login information to use mlb.tv and we've never had a problem watching games at the same time.

I just buy the MLB At Bat and listen to the radio broadcast through my phone.  20 bucks for every Uecker game?  Awesome in my book!

you just have to change your account location out of state.  if your mlb.tv is set to pittsburgh, PA its going to blackout those games in that market, but if you have it set to Dallas TX, you'll never have a blacked out pirates game.  I ran into this last year when trying to watch the Yankees/Brewers series because the account was set up in NY state.

you just have to change your account location out of state. if your mlb.tv is set to pittsburgh, PA its going to blackout those games in that market, but if you have it set to Dallas TX, you'll never have a blacked out pirates game. I ran into this last year when trying to watch the Yankees/Brewers series because the account was set up in NY state.

I thought it checked your actual location when you go to watch a game. Weird.

I just signed up for my first-time premium subscription here on the East Coast.   After a few streaming glitches everything works great and I enjoy the out-of-market games more than anything else.   Your "local" team is blocked on video stream but audio is always available (at least on my PC while working).   So far the best feature for me is switching between games depending on inning and score.   Saw my first R.A. Dickey performance the other night when he was dominating the Yankees for six innings.    Seeing guys I have not seen much of before for a few hours every night, and having access to day games, is worth the price for me.  

Ive been using MLB.TV for more than 10 years now. Im an out of market guy, so I love it. I got blacked out on opening series with Philly playing Boston, but in general I get maybe a handful of blackout games from ESPN. Nothing that really bothers me too much, you can listen to the game live, or just wait til its over and watch it then. You also get to access all the radio broadcasts from your computer after the game, so often I fall asleep listening to a game. MLB.TV has said that they will be cracking down on VPN's and changing settings to get around blackouts this year. They will cancel your account and I believe try to give you a fine as well. Havent heard it happened yet, but they did mention they will be tougher on it this year. Manfred has said that ending blackouts is a big concern of his and hopes to have it done by the end of the year if not earlier, but it might still require that you have a cable account to get it the live game.

Would buy in a heart beat if local games weren't blacked out......they need to catch up to the new generation of cord cutters.

HBO should be what everyone else watching to see how their new cord cutter service works....then hopefully soon I can get this and watch Cardinal games from my cable free home.

I wish I could just a la carte buy some games to watch.  I work 2nd shift so I miss most games, but I'd love to have a way to buy games on Saturdays or Sundays when I'm around.  Even if it was $5 for a single game I'd buy 6-10 a year.

Wish I liked watching baseball at bars more because that would be a more logical method.

That is sweet that they changed the rules regarding multiple viewers on an account. If anyone wants to let me jump on their account, I'd gladly chip in a twenty. I've never had an issue with any transaction on here so I'm not going to do anything but watch some games (hopefully the Tigers, if everything above is correct).

Last year around Father's Day they offered MLB.tv for the rest of the season for $50 so some of you on the fence might want to wait til something like that comes around.

But I'll chime in as another fan of an out of market team, it really is super worth it.

I'm down for this if this comes around again. Unless the Yanks are the game of the week I don't get to see many games but I cant throw down $100+ right now

I just realized that I don't have the option to listen on the radio, so I may have to get at.bat.

As far as watching games, I'll stick to frontrow streams.

It's between Boston and Detroit for the best hitting team in baseball. Everyone was worried about the starting pitching after Scherzer and Porcello left but seeing a lineup that you just feel confident in basically every single inning (not to over-react to Gose or Iglesias hitting .400+, but speed doesn't go into slumps) is awesome.

Cabrera looks great. He'll be in the top couple for MVP again this year.

It's between Boston and Detroit for the best hitting team in baseball. Everyone was worried about the starting pitching after Scherzer and Porcello left but seeing a lineup that you just feel confident in basically every single inning (not to over-react to Gose or Iglesias hitting .400+, but speed doesn't go into slumps) is awesome.

Cabrera looks great. He'll be in the top couple for MVP again this year.

Gose and Iglesias have a combined career OPS of .670. So I guess speed slumps plenty.

I've always been a huge Gose fan. But let's pump the brakes.

Gose and Iglesias have a combined career OPS of .670. So I guess speed slumps plenty.

I've always been a huge Gose fan. But let's pump the brakes.

Using a stat that is half based on power on speedsters. Speed never slumps is also a well known saying -- not to say that speedy players can't go on slumps with regards to hits, but their legs don't when they do get on.

No one has all stars 1-9. For my claim that Boston and Detroit are close in terms of best overall lineup in baseball, these guys need to outplay Boegarts and Victorino. We'll see how it goes but that's not an outlandish claim.