MLB Discussion

Hughes made the A's his bitches last night... sucks he lost out on a no hitter because of a dumb luck comebacker. Although its super awesome to see him finally turning into the pitcher they've been hyping to be for years

i was just hoping he didn't break anything after getting hit with the comebacker. the last time he had a no-no he got hurt and had to be taken out of the game. he was out for the rest of the season after that pretty much.

the best thing about the start was that it got him stretched out. i don't think he's ever gone into the 8th before.

Zambrano in the bullpen isn't insane. Lilly is coming back and they need a spot in the rotation. Zambrano has been their worst starter this year so guess what? He goes to the bullpen. You can't send him to the minors so they are just trying to get something out of him.

First of all, Zambrano made one bad start this year. The last three? All good. Maybe not fantastic, but at the very least, good. Tons of strikeouts(more than Lincecum - you sending him to the bullpen?). He has excellent stuff this year. He had ONE bad outing to start the year on opening day and pretty much no run support in his other three outings.

Second of all, you're going to base this decision on 14 games instead of, oh, 7-10 years of data that tells you that Carlos Silva SUCKS at baseball? Congratulations, three good starts. Now's about the time for his arm to fall off. You can't tell me that Carlos Zambrano isn't one of the 5 best starting pitchers the Cubs have. A fluke start from Silva isn't enough to send your most durable pitcher to the bullpen, where he'll get half as many innings as he would have starting.

Zambrano in the bullpen isn't insane. Lilly is coming back and they need a spot in the rotation. Zambrano has been their worst starter this year so guess what? He goes to the bullpen. You can't send him to the minors so they are just trying to get something out of him.

First of all, Zambrano made one bad start this year. The last three? All good. Maybe not fantastic, but at the very least, good. Tons of strikeouts(more than Lincecum - you sending him to the bullpen?). He has excellent stuff this year. He had ONE bad outing to start the year on opening day and pretty much no run support in his other three outings.

Second of all, you're going to base this decision on 14 games instead of, oh, 7-10 years of data that tells you that Carlos Silva SUCKS at baseball? Congratulations, three good starts. Now's about the time for his arm to fall off. You can't tell me that Carlos Zambrano isn't one of the 5 best starting pitchers the Cubs have. A fluke start from Silva isn't enough to send your most durable pitcher to the bullpen, where he'll get half as many innings as he would have starting.

I haven't been around in awhile, but...

THIS.

yes, I most definitely put him in the bullpen. What else can you do? Put Lilly as a fifth starter where he won't pitch? Replace Carlos Silva who will become useless even though he has pitched great so far? Replace Dempster? Or put him in the bullpen where he can improve one of the worst bullpens in the league and GREATLY improve what is the downfall of your team? All I said was that it wasn't insane and I can see where it could work.

First of all, I'm pretty sure the fifth starter starts every 5 days just like everybody else. Once the season starts, they need five guys pretty much all year. If anyone was going to get skipped every once in a while, it'd be Gorzelanney.

Second, I'd put Silva in the bullpen or in AAA. The fact of the matter is that he's not going to get claimed on waivers and he's not going to give up his big salary to become a free agent and make league minimum. You got three good starts out of him. Great! Now, before he shows his true colors, you take him out of the rotation. It's not that he'd be useless in the bullpen, it's that he's useless as a pitcher in major league baseball. It's that simple. Now, you might say he's had a hot start, and how can you turn your back on him now? Well, maybe if he hadn't been mediocre to bad at baseball for, oh, his entire career, he'd be able to lock up that spot in the rotation. But the fact of the matter is that he WILL start to regress and it will be a VERY sharp decline. I refuse to believe that Carlos Silva all of a sudden learned how to pitch and stay healthy at age 33. Maybe he'll have a career year, but shit, a year where he pitches 160 innings and has an ERA under 4.50 would be a career year for him.

Third, look at the careers of Zambrano and Silva. Which guy pitches 180-200 innings EVERY year (and quality innings at that) striking out a ton of guys (career K/9 is a very good 7.73) and which guy never strikes anybody out (career K/9 is sub-4)and has been injury-plagued since leaving Minnesota? And even when healthy, he's not very good. Don't let the start fool you. He will start to get bad and it'll be ugly.

Stoked I just got free tix to tomorrow Angels/Yankees game. My first game of the season.

Just not looking forward to dealing with all the annoying, drunk Yankee fans screaming and trying to start shit. Not saying all Yankee fans are like that, that kind of shit just happens WAY more often when the Yankees are in town.

Should be fun tho, hopefully its hot tomorrow.

Stoked I just got free tix to tomorrow Angels/Yankees game. My first game of the season.

Just not looking forward to dealing with all the annoying, drunk Yankee fans screaming and trying to start shit. Not saying all Yankee fans are like that, that kind of shit just happens WAY more often when the Yankees are in town.

Should be fun tho, hopefully its hot tomorrow.

Did you at least have a good time there? I saw the game on Fox. looked like the weather was nice, as you hoped for.

Is he gonna sing Centerfield?

Even though its early in the season I'm surprised the Nationals are doing as well they are doing. I hope they do well though.

Yanks also lost their first 2 games in a row this season.

He did play it, with a baseball bat shaped guitar. He was really good live.

ZZ Top is next week at the end of the Rays/Royals game. Very excited for that one as well