MLB Discussion

Let's be honest: when it comes to SPs the market is horribly inflated. We can all thank my team the Yankees for keeping this trend alive but I like to always point out that the Kansas City Royals started this nonsense when they signed David Cone.

How do you figure? he only played there for two years before he was traded to the mets. And he was a third round pick.

So the angels now have 2 of the 3 highest paid players in the league.

One of them should be the highest paid player.

The other one is a complete joke that Reagins left the team with. That Wells contract is insane, I cant believe they took that contract on when they already had a surplus of outfielders. Hopefully he bounces back this year and makes it kind of worth it.

Whatever, they have the best starting rotation in baseball and the best player in baseball now.

I don't get why people are saying "that's awesome they got Pujols but that is a bad contract because they gave him too many years." Pujols will still be an all-star in 10 years provided he stays healthy.

The difference between him and a lot of other power hitters is that Pujols doesn't have to swing for the fences -- he is so strong that he can hit line drives that leave the park. Yeah, in his early 40's some of those balls won't make it into the stands, but a lot of them will still be doubles. For the majority of power hitters, they become fly balls, not doubles (hence a precipitous decline late in their career). Plus, in 10 years paying a player 25 million will probably be the equivalent of 20 million today. Combine that with the possibility of Pujols breaking the home run record as an Angel, and I think they made a great move -- no rider of "but they shouldn't have given him so many years".

So Braun tested positive for PEDs. Was tested in during the post season and came back positive. I hope they make the decision to take the MVP from him and give it to Kemp. Never cared for him much, and this makes me hate him.

he requested a second test immediately after the positive results, and that came back negative, and everything is in the process of arbitration, so no one can comment on the situation... poor journalism by ESPN, and i'd say that if this happened to any player and not just a brewer. it does not matter what happens now, braun could be found clear and not suspended, but he'll still be branded a PED user by public opinion

So Braun tested positive for PEDs. Was tested in during the post season and came back positive. I hope they make the decision to take the MVP from him and give it to Kemp. Never cared for him much, and this makes me hate him.
Braun keeps it either way they said because otherwise the voting will have to be redone. Because maybe someone voted for Braun, but not Kemp.

he requested a second test immediately after the positive results, and that came back negative, and everything is in the process of arbitration, so no one can comment on the situation... poor journalism by ESPN, and i'd say that if this happened to any player and not just a brewer. it does not matter what happens now, braun could be found clear and not suspended, but he'll still be branded a PED user by public opinion

This isnt the first time that someone has tested positive then asked for a second test that came back negative. Unless he has a good reason (ie cancer, no testicles, etc etc) then he should have a tainted rep. The "I just took a GNC shake" excuse doesnt hold up.

This isnt the first time that someone has tested positive then asked for a second test that came back negative. Unless he has a good reason (ie cancer, no testicles, etc etc) then he should have a tainted rep. The "I just took a GNC shake" excuse doesnt hold up.

Yeah, I'd like to know what "immediately" means exactly. Minutes, hours, days, weeks?

I don't know a ton about biochemistry and how it's used in the testing for steroids, but I do know that people are constantly using and inventing ways to cover them up. Didn't Manny test positive for a fertility drug or something like that?

Can't say I'm surprised about Braun. The dude was a machine last year. If he gets 50 games Brewers are pretty much cooked. Since this isn't the NCAA I don't think they will take the MVP away from him. I don't think there is any precedent in the pros.

The Pujols contract is laughable. It also set the bar too high for Fielder.

If Hanley doesn't move to third that deal was idiotic.

The Wilson and Buehrle ones seem like the only reasonable deals.

Still a good deal if he doesnt move. Im not a fan of Reyes, but he is a better player and a better person to have in the clubhouse. Hanley is nothing but a headache. They got the best ss on the market, can trade Hanley for what they need elsewhere.

Still a good deal if he doesnt move. Im not a fan of Reyes, but he is a better player and a better person to have in the clubhouse. Hanley is nothing but a headache. They got the best ss on the market, can trade Hanley for what they need elsewhere.

It seems like deals with proven players for other proven players doesn't happen all that often. Usually it will be prospects for a proven player. It seems like Marlins want to win now and getting prospects in exchange might not work. Since pitching is so hard come to come by and Ozzie and Zambrano have a prior relationship maybe the cubs could work something to get Hanley if Castro wants would go to third (since it had been hinted before).

dontrelle willis in a phillies uni will be wierd - i guess for only a mil plus performance bonuses it wasn't that bad of a deal - especially since he obviously won't earn any performance bonuses

if he only pitches to one or two lefties a game he should be decent

Ha.

Dude had a 5 ERA and 1.5 whip last year and it was his best numbers in the last 5 years. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but I would rather my Tigers took anyone off their AAA or AA roster and threw them out there than ride the D-Train again. He's just plain awful.

Phillies should have given that mil to Rollins to help get him back.