MLB Discussion

haha. i love this! he definitely is. i'm a big aoki fan. the brewers got fleeced, and now the royals' outfield is pretty solid. gordon, cain, aoki? is there someone else i'm missing?

i disagree about mujica either way. he was really solid until they overused him in late august/early september. analysts noted the cardinals used him in three straight two-inning appearances at one point and mujica himself said it wore him out, and he never really recovered from it. not saying it was only due to that because he probably wore down over the course of the season but i think poor bullpen management by the cards contributed as well

Is that what it was with Mujica?  I really don't follow the NL close enough to know these things.  I just know he lost his closers role due to "loss of control". 

Mujica's stats look pretty consistent across the last 5 years. He's a 3ish ERA 1.1ish WHIP guy. He plugged a giant hole in the Cardinals bullpen when they were imploding every other night (Mitchell Boggs and Rosenthal couldn't handle it).

In the end, Rosenthal is the most talented guy and after he straightened things out he took the closer's role. Wouldn't put too much emphasis on either Mujica's first couple months (he's not a closer) or last month (everyone hits rough patches occasionally).

Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano
By Steve Adams [December 6 at 9:57am CST]

The Mariners and Robinson Cano are in agreement on a 10-year, $240MM contract, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com (Spanish link).

Reports from earlier today indicated that talks between Cano and the Mariners had crumbled after Jay-Z suddenly upped his demands back to $252MM when the Mariners were prepared to offer $225MM over nine years. The two sides appear to have reached a middle ground, with Cano's camp dropping by $12MM or so and the Mariners agreeing to add a tenth season at $15MM.

The Mariner will regret this deal in about 3 years. To much money for a guy who I think isn't a superstar. He's a great hitter, but he's not a guy who can carry a team's offense alone. Plus, I think Cano's numbers were somewhat inflated due to the guys surrounding him in the lineup and the Yankee's stadium.

I think he's a star, but he's no superstar. A superstar to me is a guy who can literally carry a team on his back. I don't think Cano can. I think the guy is a phenomenal hitter, but he's not going to put up the same numbers in Seattle. Sure, he's the top 2b in baseball, but he certainly isn't worth that kind of money that he just signed for. Look at his career numbers. He's hit over 30 home runs once in his career, and he's topped 115 RBI's once. To me a superstar should be able to hit close to if not more than 40 home runs a year, drive in 120+ runs a year and/or at least hit over .333. Cano is not that type of guy.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/canoro01.shtml

Cano absolutely 100% a "superstar". No one single player can carry any team. Not even Miggy or Trout.

Obviously this deal is insane and the Yankees are lucky they arent the one's paying it. I dont think this deal will go south as quickly as the Pujols deal which was almost exactly the same but it's a really bad deal for the Mariners to make.

I think he's a star, but he's no superstar. A superstar to me is a guy who can literally carry a team on his back. I don't think Cano can. I think the guy is a phenomenal hitter, but he's not going to put up the same numbers in Seattle. Sure, he's the top 2b in baseball, but he certainly isn't worth that kind of money that he just signed for. Look at his career numbers. He's hit over 30 home runs once in his career, and he's topped 115 RBI's once. To me a superstar should be able to hit close to if not more than 40 home runs a year, drive in 120+ runs a year and/or at least hit over .333. Cano is not that type of guy.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/canoro01.shtml

so a power hitter is the only way to be a superstar, gotcha.  thats just idiotic justification, sorry.

i mean your numbers for "superstar" are literally JUST above Canos stats, did you go to his page, look at his numbers and then just arbitrarily pick numbers just above his to fit your standard for "superstar" status?  so he doesnt hit 40 hrs, he hits 30+.  so he doesnt get 120+ rbi's, he gets 100+.  so he doesnt hit .333, he hits .310+. 

i mean your numbers for "superstar" are literally JUST above Canos stats, did you go to his page, look at his numbers and then just arbitrarily pick numbers just above his to fit your standard for "superstar" status?  so he doesnt hit 40 hrs, he hits 30+.  so he doesnt get 120+ rbi's, he gets 100+.  so he doesnt hit .333, he hits .310+. 

He's only hit over 30 home runs once so he's not even a consistent 30+ home run hitter as you say he is. He also has had 100+ RBI's three times in his career. Thats just 3 times in 9 full seasons. I'm not saying he isn't a great hitter, but he's not a guy that deserves to be paid like a superstar with a $200 million contract. If he consistently hit for 30+ hr with 110 rbi and .320 avg then I can understand the deal, but there are to many guys in the major with $100+ million deals that just don't deserve them.

I'm done discussing this. Lets just agree to disagree, and argue about something else in baseball. Hahaha

Pujols?  Halladay?  Votto?   Wainwright?  Felix Hernandez?  Verlander?  Cain? 

i mean, come on

Pujols has declined three straight years to non superstar numbers each year, he is no longer a superstar. Halladay is far from a superstar anymore, hell, there is talk that he wont even get a sure fire major league deal. Votto and everyone else is for sure superstars.