MLB Discussion

piecing together the cano saga, an espn text message said he and the yankees were about $30 million apart, but never mentioned any price tags. then a later text said the mariners offer of $200 million to cano better than the yankees' $170. i know there are rumors about cano and seattle, but i'd pretty much call it a done deal at this point. which i guess means they'd shop franklin, which i've read a little bit about (or miller maybe).

anyone else hear about beltran and seattle, too? mariners could be decent, who knows. outfield would still need help and they will be relying on a young rotation, albeit a talented one

1B smoak (or montero)

2B cano

SS miller

3B seager

LF ackley

CF beltran

RF saunders

C zunino

SP felix, iwakuma, walker, paxton, hultzen (maurer, noesi, erasmo)

I think if Cano leaves the Yankees he will not be the same player as far as  production. I think a lot of his success was because of who surrounded him in the lineup in addition to the dimensions of Yankee Stadium. Don't get me wrong, he's a great hitter, but I don't think he is a guy a team can count on as being the top guy.

I also think that no one is worth a 7 year and/or $100+ million deal. No one really ever lives up to that contract. Guys like Mauer, Howard, Zito. Hampton, Crawford, J. Santana,  and a host of others have all failed to match the potential of the contract they received. However, I do think that only one person in baseball is worth that deal and that of course is the best player in baseball.....

mike-trout.jpg

Trout might deserve a 10 year contract today, but he will be 26 when he is eligible, taking him to 36. Tons of evidence showing how speed deteriorates starting around 30 and that is a big part of Trout's value:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1577127-how-quickly-do-speed-guys-truly-decline-after-30-years-old

Even he is set up to get overpaid when the system sets him up for his turn (unless he decides to sign for less years than someone will give him and stick to the 5ish years range).

I understand all of that, but if there is one person who deserves that kind of contract it's him. But, giving a 26 year old a 7 year deal is certainly more feasible than giving a 30 year old that deal. However, I do expect when he becomes eligible to be a free agent that he'll sign with the Phillies.

I think if Cano leaves the Yankees he will not be the same player as far as  production. I think a lot of his success was because of who surrounded him in the lineup in addition to the dimensions of Yankee Stadium. Don't get me wrong, he's a great hitter, but I don't think he is a guy a team can count on as being the top guy.

The funny part is that the Yankees still have HUGE holes in their starting rotation and bullpen.  Signing Ellsbury and McCann (and possibly bringing back Cano) won't fix that.

The funny part is that the Yankees still have HUGE holes in their starting rotation and bullpen.  Signing Ellsbury and McCann (and possibly bringing back Cano) won't fix that.

I don't see them making the playoffs again, especially if they lose Cano. Not only do they have holes in their pitching staff, but their line-up isn't exactly a murder's row like it usually is. A-Rod isn't the same, Jeter and Ichiro aren't getting any younger, Teixeira has been injured a lot the last couple seasons, Vernon Wells isn't good, and they probably won't bring back Youk or Granderson.

I don't see them making the playoffs again, especially if they lose Cano. Not only do they have holes in their pitching staff, but their line-up isn't exactly a murder's row like it usually is. A-Rod isn't the same, Jeter and Ichiro aren't getting any younger, Teixeira has been injured a lot the last couple seasons, Vernon Wells isn't good, and they probably won't bring back Youk or Granderson.

Granderson is as good as gone. 

Thier line-up is pretty sad.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

i really can't believe anyone who bitches about how much ballplayers make... you know the teams are pocketing MILLIONS upon MILIONS of dollars every year right? Hell some of the small market teams are more profitable than the big ones.. because they don't spend money. Hell the Cubs suck and they were the most profitable team in baseball last year. I wanna see the teams spend ouit the ass for the money i pay to go see a game.

i really can't believe anyone who bitches about how much ballplayers make... you know the teams are pocketing MILLIONS upon MILIONS of dollars every year right? Hell some of the small market teams are more profitable than the big ones.. because they don't spend money. Hell the Cubs suck and they were the most profitable team in baseball last year. I wanna see the teams spend ouit the ass for the money i pay to go see a game.

Everything should be cut in half. Tickets, hot dogs, beers, jerseys, salary etc 

I'm with you that I'd rather the players make the money than the owners. But we're paying for it, and we're paying too much.