MLB Discussion

Can't wait to see him run the bases.

HAHA holy shit i hadn't even thought about that. oh my god. gifs will be made.

We are all wondering the same thing. At first when we traded Prince it was "Don't worry. Dombrowski is a mastermind. Let things develop".

But after Davis, Joba, Coke, and Fister, it's a little hard understand what the plan is. Nathan signing isn't questioned. Just don't see the plan. Rebuilding? Cutting salary? Going for it? Wtf?

We let Veras go for about 3.5. Would have gladly rather paid that than 2.5 to Joba.

seriously, this is absolutely bewildering. when prince went, it was like, "oh, they're freeing up salary space for scherzer." i agree with you in that scherzer has probably peaked in value and performance, but i'm sure other execs or whatever see it differently. still, everything that has happened since... i'm waiting for some big signing or something that justifies all these weird, random moves. but looking at the rest of the market i don't see what it could possibly be or where that person would fit. it's just weird.

Phillies signed Fausto Carmona/Roberto Hernandez today. The Phillies do things the opposite of what everyone in the NL East are doing. For the most part all of the teams in the East have tried to get better while the Phillies just keep getting worse and older. Fuck, this year is going to be tough.

Phillies signed Fausto Carmona/Roberto Hernandez today. The Phillies do things the opposite of what everyone in the NL East are doing. For the most part all of the teams in the East have tried to get better while the Phillies just keep getting worse and older. Fuck, this year is going to be tough.

Phils locked themselves into a corner betting on Howard/Utley/Rollins. You got a little run out of them a few years ago but I don't see them being a contender in the next 3 or so years.

Phils locked themselves into a corner betting on Howard/Utley/Rollins. You got a little run out of them a few years ago but I don't see them being a contender in the next 3 or so years.

Either do I. They have a terrible farm system, and the front office is not run by baseball people. Definitely a recipe for success. And, I really didn't want to renew my season tickets this year, but I gave in. I might just go to the games that Lee and Hamels pitch and sell the rest. Since I get the baseball package i'd rather sit at home and watch other teams.

We are all wondering the same thing. At first when we traded Prince it was "Don't worry. Dombrowski is a mastermind. Let things develop".

But after Davis, Joba, Coke, and Fister, it's a little hard understand what the plan is. Nathan signing isn't questioned. Just don't see the plan. Rebuilding? Cutting salary? Going for it? Wtf?

We let Veras go for about 3.5. Would have gladly rather paid that than 2.5 to Joba.

I can't really see it cutting salary seeing some of those contracts they've dished out.  Do they have a lot of young talent they want to bring up?  Maybe they're making room for that and these signings are a back-up plan?

Good talent that is a couple years away, not much that is high-upside and major league ready, unless you maybe want to consider a guy like Kroll there now. The big call ups happened last year (Rondon and Castellanos).

Coming into this year, it was something like if they let every free agent walk and paid the projected arbitration salaries, the payroll would still go up $10 million. So they were backed into a corner. I think we just wanted different moves (trade scherzer instead of Fister, sign Veras instead of Joba, if you are going to trade Fister get one big prospect and not three ok ones, let Phil coke walk, etc...). Could have made better moves and arrived at the same payroll number.

one more year. i just remembered that they signed jose abreu. what the hell are they going to do with him if they re-signed konerko and have dunn still at DH? dumb waste of a year of an expensive contract...

maybe Abreu isnt MLB ready, he's one of the Cuban prospects, right? 

maybe Abreu isnt MLB ready, he's one of the Cuban prospects, right? 

yeah. i figure if they're paying him $10 mil a year, at least give him the opportunity to get some looks at first base, even if it's later in the season. but i assume they won't platoon him with konerko. their blind devotion to konerko is idiotic, especially when it looks like they're making moves to rebuild.