MLB Discussion

Instead they signed a fat 40 year old (Bartolo Colon). Yeah he's had a few good seasons as of lately, but this is the kinda signing that usually bites the Mets in the ass. 2 years $20 mil. Wonder if they are still in the market for Drew as they were earlier in the day and willing to give up a 3rd rounder for him

They gave him more for two years than he's made in the majors for his entire career so far.  He's an inconsistant bat and a subpar fielder.

The Tigers just like throwing thier money away.  They should give some to the city to buy some street lights.

Was he worth 10 mil? I don't know. No one signs for what they are worth anymore.

But from a team needs perspective, he is welcomed. We had almost no base stealing ability. Dude stole 45 last year with almost half the amount of ABs as the other guys near the top in that category. If he steals 50 and plays ok defense (his dWAR is about neutral), I'm cool with it. I'm assuming he will bungle some plays but also make up for it with some good range. Jackson, Davis, and Hunter together can really cover Comerica Park.

Instead they signed a fat 40 year old (Bartolo Colon). Yeah he's had a few good seasons as of lately, but this is the kinda signing that usually bites the Mets in the ass. 2 years $20 mil. Wonder if they are still in the market for Drew as they were earlier in the day and willing to give up a 3rd rounder for him

Not to mention, a known steroid user. A one year deal with a vesting option might have made more sense but hey, no one expected him to be in the league at this point (drugs or not) so maybe he can keep it together for 2 more.

It just doesnt make sense to me. Harvey is only out for this year....but at least they are spending money and trying to win

I'm not sure you can confidently claim that last part with this particular signing. 

Though as the resident VC Fantasy Baseball champion AND the proud owner of Bartolo Colon I don't know how to feel. 

Im not claiming that because of this signing. Im claiming that because of the additions of Young, Grandy, potential signings of Johan and Drew, and signing a SP who has had pretty good numbers the last few years. If that isnt trying to win compared to what we had the last 2 years I dont know what is.

Trumbo is going to be awful in the outfield. He's clearly a DH. Angels with the good move in getting Hector Santiago.

i think white sox won this deal though. hector santiago for adam eaton? hot damn. santiago walks way too many guys, but at least the angels 1) pitchers, and 2) young guys who can improve. about fuckin' time.

Colon has been great the past few years, even after his suspension. It is a two year deal so it cant hurt too bad, hell, they are paying Bobby Bonilla more money this year than they are Colon.

I'm not sure we have a sense for when a roider is caught (assuming they are clean thereafter) for when the drugs are no longer effecting their performance. Strength doesn't go away overnight. He could have still been riding that wave last year but it has to end sometime.

I'm not sure we have a sense for when a roider is caught (assuming they are clean thereafter) for when the drugs are no longer effecting their performance. Strength doesn't go away overnight. He could have still been riding that wave last year but it has to end sometime.

I mean his fastball has been deteriorating. He has been using more change ups and sliders as of late which has made him a good pitcher again in recent years. I wouldnt say the roids helped him out the last few years.

I mean his fastball has been deteriorating. He has been using more change ups and sliders as of late which has made him a good pitcher again in recent years. I wouldnt say the roids helped him out the last few years.

This isn't true. I believe he threw the highest percentage of fastballs in the majors last season. For most of the season it was over 90% fastballs, before finishing around 89%

Colon has been great the past few years, even after his suspension. It is a two year deal so it cant hurt too bad, hell, they are paying Bobby Bonilla more money this year than they are Colon.

Yeah he's been good. The Mets history of doing things like this is not good, that's what I'm LOLing about. That and the thought of him running the bases.

Also the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla, but not $10 mil. They're also still paying Jason Bay amongst others...

Yeah he's been good. The Mets history of doing things like this is not good, that's what I'm LOLing about. That and the thought of him running the bases.

Also the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla, but not $10 mil. They're also still paying Jason Bay amongst others...

Whoops my bad, I misread a decimal, thought they were paying him 11. something million and not 1.1 million a year.

I dont think steroids is what made Colon dominating the past few years, he is getting by on location and outsmarting the batters, he isnt blowing anyone away with his fastball.

Whoops my bad, I misread a decimal, thought they were paying him 11. something million and not 1.1 million a year.

I dont think steroids is what made Colon dominating the past few years, he is getting by on location and outsmarting the batters, he isnt blowing anyone away with his fastball.

I set low standards for free agents when they sign with the Mets. This is so I won't be sorely disappointed as per usual. Someone for the Yankees is always having a career year. That or some other nonsense about the Yankees. 

A 40 year old guy who's career deteriorated resurrects it then is subsequently suspended last year and you don't think he drugs helped him at all the last couple years? Ok I guess. We'll see.

We are all wondering the same thing. At first when we traded Prince it was "Don't worry. Dombrowski is a mastermind. Let things develop".

But after Davis, Joba, Coke, and Fister, it's a little hard understand what the plan is. Nathan signing isn't questioned. Just don't see the plan. Rebuilding? Cutting salary? Going for it? Wtf?

We let Veras go for about 3.5. Would have gladly rather paid that than 2.5 to Joba.