MLB Discussion

Aoki to the Royal for Will Smith

bummed he's traded, but the writing was on the wall with the rise of Davis in LF.  Braun to RF for 2014. 

Royals, get excited, Aoki is awesome, one of the best leadoff batters ive seen in quiet some time.  wont strike out much, gets on base, he's Ichiro lite.

bummed he's traded, but the writing was on the wall with the rise of Davis in LF. Braun to RF for 2014.

Royals, get excited, Aoki is awesome, one of the best leadoff batters ive seen in quiet some time. wont strike out much, gets on base, he's Ichiro lite.

What a terrible trade for the Brewers, analytic sites are going to tear them up.

Was Aoki a Twins outfield? Don't they have a couple really good OF prospects? Those dudes won't be ready this year though right?

Red Sox signed Mujica today. Looks like 2/9.5m

no, Aoki came straight from Japan for next to nothing.  Khris Davis killed the ball while Braun was out, he'll be in LF, Braun to RF.  They've got a couple other OF prospects, but they're a coiuple years away.  Schaeffer will be the 4th OF and probably platoon between LF/CF when gomez gets a day off.

What a terrible trade for the Brewers, analytic sites are going to tear them up.

not really, Aoki is a free agent after 2014, Smith if a power LH RP/SP under team control until 2019 and only 23 years old.  for only 1 year of a RF who is turning 32?  thats not a terrible trade at all. 

Sorry, I just meant he played for the Twins, not that he was a farm system player. I know they have Buxton and I think another real good OF prospect right? I figured their are still a year or two away, was just checking. Thanks.

EDIT: I was thinking of Sano, the 3B prospect as the other guy. Just looked it up. 

no, Aoki came straight from Japan for next to nothing. Khris Davis killed the ball while Braun was out, he'll be in LF, Braun to RF. They've got a couple other OF prospects, but they're a coiuple years away. Schaeffer will be the 4th OF and probably platoon between LF/CF when gomez gets a day off.

not really, Aoki is a free agent after 2014, Smith if a power LH RP/SP under team control until 2019 and only 23 years old. for only 1 year of a RF who is turning 32? thats not a terrible trade at all.

I have my doubts about Smith ever being anything more than a AAAA pitcher. He's a command guy, not a power guy, and he's going to get hit hard in extended stints. Probably close to a replacement player. Aoki is a 2-3 WAR player that doesn't cost much at all. Pure salary dump for a team that should be bad again this year. Fantastic pickup for the Royals, Moore starting his new contract off surprisingly well.

Sorry, I just meant he played for the Twins, not that he was a farm system player. I know they have Buxton and I think another real good OF prospect right? I figured their are still a year or two away, was just checking. Thanks.

EDIT: I was thinking of Sano, the 3B prospect as the other guy. Just looked it up. 

Hicks was a good prospect, but didn't play well at all last year.

I have my doubts about Smith ever being anything more than a AAAA pitcher. He's a command guy, not a power guy, and he's going to get hit hard in extended stints. Probably close to a replacement player. Aoki is a 2-3 WAR player that doesn't cost much at all. Pure salary dump for a team that should be bad again this year. Fantastic pickup for the Royals, Moore starting his new contract off surprisingly well.

its not a salary dump, Aoki is making $1.5 million this year, thats next to nothing.  he's a free agent next year, they've got OF in the wings they want to bring up and were not going to resign Aoki anyways after 2014, so Aoki was getting traded no matter what, why not at his highest value (not saying he'll stink in 2014, but why take a risk of holding off on trading him until the deadline?).

they got Carlos Gomez from the Twins for JJ Hardy a couple years ago if thats what you're thinking about

Usually I would bring up the fact that Mujica is a bum who lost his control last season ... BUT ... the Sox front office were all stars building thier bullpen last year so they must see something with this guy.

Yeah, he was awesome... until he wasn't. Relievers can be dicey but given the payroll flexibility they have I'm not going to get too worked up over it. Seems like we are about due for a higher profile RP who gets some money to not totally crap out. 

Plus, I trust Farrell with pitchers. 

bummed he's traded, but the writing was on the wall with the rise of Davis in LF.  Braun to RF for 2014. 

he's Ichiro lite.

haha. i love this! he definitely is. i'm a big aoki fan. the brewers got fleeced, and now the royals' outfield is pretty solid. gordon, cain, aoki? is there someone else i'm missing?

Usually I would bring up the fact that Mujica is a bum who lost his control last season ... BUT ... the Sox front office were all stars building thier bullpen last year so they must see something with this guy.

i disagree about mujica either way. he was really solid until they overused him in late august/early september. analysts noted the cardinals used him in three straight two-inning appearances at one point and mujica himself said it wore him out, and he never really recovered from it. not saying it was only due to that because he probably wore down over the course of the season but i think poor bullpen management by the cards contributed as well

haha. i love this! he definitely is. i'm a big aoki fan. the brewers got fleeced, and now the royals' outfield is pretty solid. gordon, cain, aoki? is there someone else i'm missing?

fleeced?  would you give up a top prospect for one year of a 32 year old career 755 OPS corner OF?

fleeced?  would you give up a top prospect for one year of a 32 year old career 755 OPS corner OF?

honestly i thought it was multiple years so that does change things. i also had no idea smith performed as well as he did this year, albeit over a small sample size. i was still caught up on 2012, which was largely disappointing. i also didn't enjoy men in black 3 very much either. i should have done my research mike!

this just in: miggy to 1st, castellanos to 3rd

Give it a go and see what happens. I'm ok with it. The biggest part of this (as I see it) is that Miggy goes to a position which has historically had less wear and tear on players.

I just wouldn't assume that Castellanos is any better at third than Miggy until he proves it. He's got a body that would generally be considered too big to play the position (6'4") and the Tigs have already shown that they are more concerned with big hitting bats than defensive prowess in the past.