MLB Discussion

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rosters/_/sort/average_age/order/true

I'm not sure how updated it is, though.

There's also probably a better stat for age if you only considered starting OF, starting rotation, and top 4 pen arms vs whole team. Having a 22 year old mop up guy instead of a 38 year old veteran might throw things off significantly but isn't a good sense of the risk a team faces due to age.

and mets fans continue to be ridiculously bitter about beltran...

I for one really liked the guy. A lot of other Mets fans however felt "he didn't care enough" and "wasn't clutch enough" and couldn't get over Wainwright's curveball in the '06 NLCS. Not even worth debating anymore, but people will see how good he still is when he plays for the Yankees. The only reason I wouldn't want Beltran back for multiple years now over Granderson is his age, and that's it.

What is with Ortiz calling Cano the face of the franchise? Jeter is without a doubt the face of the franchise, especially with Mo retired.

I hate this face of the franchise nonsense. Goes right along with "playing the game the right way." Cano got shit for that, when he was their best player the last few years. Yes in the sense of the "face of the franchise" I'd agree that its Derek Jeter, who currently is nowhere near being the best player on the team right now.

Alright first of all Im not bitter about Beltran's infamous playoff strikeout. Im just mad he went to the team I despise more than any team in baseball. As for Mariano, I wasnt actually gonna sell the ball....at least till he was in the HOF depending on the situation I was in. But I got there yesterday at 10AM. Signing was to go from 2-3. The first 150 people were guaranteed. My friend wanted to go to get his ball signed for his dad as a christmas present. Knew how much it would mean to him. So were 145 and 146 in line. Its 2:34, they find these 2 fucking scumbags in the way back who brought 3 kids and had them each bring an item to get signed. Because Mariano wanted to make sure he met kids who came out. These kids had to be about 6/7. They dont give a fuck about Mariano Rivera, probably didnt even know who he was, and these dudes were clearly just bringing them so they could get more of their shit signed. So in total, 10 people cut me from the back of the line. as Im supposed to be the next person to go into the store. 2:45 comes, he gets up and leaves. Just bounces 15 MINUTES BEFORE HE'S SUPPOSED TO. And its not like I was in the middle of the long as line when he did this, I was the next person and in the first 150. I was so fucking mad I almost threw my $20 baseball at his fucking face and through the JBL store window. My friend was legitimately heartbroken. He's a die hard Yankee fan and one of his heroes just straight up fucked him in the ass. Ive never seen my friend so bummed out before. Like if this was Mike Piazza, Id probably cry so I completely understand (but you see, Mike Piazza would stay even after advertised until he met everyone because he's not an asshole, not saying Mo shouldve stayed super late, but at least stay for the full hour you were paid for.) Such bullshit. Fuck Mariano Rivera. And fuck the NY Yankees. 

What is with Ortiz calling Cano the face of the franchise? Jeter is without a doubt the face of the franchise, especially with Mo retired.

Im going to have to disagree and say Cano was the face of the franchise. The guy promoted the Yankees wayyyyyy more the last few years than Derek Jeter. Cano was in derby's, sold more shirts/jerseys, was advertised more than anyone else on the team (including the hilarious "toothpaste" ESPN commercial.) He was the face of that franchise for the last few years. Not Jeter. 

using "he was in derbys" as a reason for face of the franchise isn't gonna work, since jeter was never a power hitter

and if you have jersey sales stats i'd love to see them

the captain's the captain, and has been the face for years, even when mo was still on the team

I say that because he was the one marketing the Yankees franchise the last few years. He may be the captain but it doesnt mean he was the face of your franchise the last few years. 

If Cano was the face, attendance to games wouldnt have dropped when Jeter and Arod were injured. Not to mention your jersey sale argument is wrong. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8448351/new-york-yankees-derek-jeter-leads-mlb-jersey-sales-third-straight-year

and here are the stats for 2013. Notice the "face of the franchise" coming in at 19th...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mariano-riveras-no-42-jersey-is-mlbs-most-popular?ymd=20130926&content_id=61820140&vkey=news_mlb

If Cano was the face, attendance to games wouldnt have dropped when Jeter and Arod were injured. Not to mention your jersey sale argument is wrong. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8448351/new-york-yankees-derek-jeter-leads-mlb-jersey-sales-third-straight-year

and here are the stats for 2013. Notice the "face of the franchise" coming in at 19th...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mariano-riveras-no-42-jersey-is-mlbs-most-popular?ymd=20130926&content_id=61820140&vkey=news_mlb

i just don't know how anyone could think yankees and not immediately think derek jeter

or ugh, a-rod. mo gets a bump because he was retiring with a year long farewell.

wow, roy halladay retired

noooo shit. first ballot guy right there.

i just don't know how anyone could think yankees and not immediately think derek jeter

or ugh, a-rod. mo gets a bump because he was retiring with a year long farewell.

noooo shit. first ballot guy right there.

I agree. Cano was the Yankees best player but the face of the franchise is Jeter. Ask any non-baseball fan about the Yankees and a majority of them will not be able to name a single player and if they do name one it will be Jeter.

The retirement felt sudden.. Until I read he played for 16 years. Damn.

If it wasn't for his shoulder problems he probably could have pitched another 4 years. I wish he had a longer career with the Phillies. Would have loved to see him get elected to the Hall of Fame as one of them.