MLB Discussion

not that i'm the first to say this, but it's all just stupid to me. the only names worth hearing are the ones who get in and the 15th-year guys because they're legacies are legitimately at stake. otherwise, calling it a crime that someone didn't get in on the first or second or third ballot is exhausting and irritating to continually read.

I guess to me the whole distinguishing which ballot someone gets in on seems trivial.

i agree 100%. it seems so dumb that the writers make a player wait 12 years before electing him. it's like he has to pay his dues or something before he can be voted in. but lebowski's right, it's just not reality.

Guys I really miss baseball. I didnt think Id miss it this much. Especially since Harvey is going to be gone all year. But I really really want it back. I want to go to shitty Queens via the shitty 7 train while sitting in the shitty humidity eating an overpriced Nathans hot dog and drinking a $7 soda while only paying $11 to get into the game. 

Matt I really don't think the Mets are going to be as bad as people think this year. I think some things will finally go right, and hopefully even a .500 record. I also think they will cave and sign Stephen Drew. 

Also man its all about the Blue Smoke Pulled Pork and the Pommes Frites Garlic Fries. My overpriced slice of heaven dude. I really do enjoy Citi Field, even with its flaws.

Matt I really don't think the Mets are going to be as bad as people think this year. I think some things will finally go right, and hopefully even a .500 record. I also think they will cave and sign Stephen Drew. 

Also man its all about the Blue Smoke Pulled Pork and the Pommes Frites Garlic Fries. My overpriced slice of heaven dude. I really do enjoy Citi Field, even with its flaws.

Dude I got the Pulled Pork that game Harvey pitched a gem shutout against the Phillies this year and holy shit was it delicious. Its my go to but if I need the spare $3 for the train...I have to get the dog. I love Citi field. Just not the chop shops and other sketchy areas surrounding it. However I hear they are putting hotels and shit around there cleaning it up. Thank god. (I do miss Shea though. Just something about it.)

As for the Mets I agree, I think we are a little better than we were last season, but not by much. I think a huge thing is Ike. Is the trade talk going to mess with him? Or is he going to use it as motivation to stay in NY/get traded? Also how is it going to affect his hitting? This guy is such a headache because obviously I love it when he's on, but he has been so inconsistent its mind boggling. Hopefully he can figure it out soon but it seems as if Sandy has made up his mind and wants him gone. I think they do sign Drew and honestly, I hope they do. Because Ruben was awful on D last season. He literally made me want to throw up.  The outfield has improved mightily though and I think that is a big plus. Our rotation if Harvey was in the lineup would be a top ten/potential top 5, but he's not going to be playing so we just have to hope that dudes step up. Especially Wheeler. This is his time to shine and prove he still is the guy who was the #1 pitching prospect in baseball. Mejia should be solid if healthy. Noah is supposed to get the call up around summer (which I cant wait for). Wouldnt mind throwing a minor league deal at Johan though. But overall I see things moving in the right direction with the Mets. Just hope they can produce and be competitive and no longer a laughing stock.

Haha I try to hurt my head to think about what everyone will do individually, but I will say 3 things

1) Ike probably gets traded. Some team will be desperate enough just before spring training. If not, I hope he uses it as motivation, because he really couldn't get any worse AMIRITE?

2) I think Noah Syndergaard is gonna show up in the bigs this year and do well

3) Wheeler will be pretty good, not great, as long as he stays healthy. Thats a concern.

Baseball season can't get here soon enough. Its pretty much the only reason I pay for cable. 

Haha I try to hurt my head to think about what everyone will do individually, but I will say 3 things

1) Ike probably gets traded. Some team will be desperate enough just before spring training. If not, I hope he uses it as motivation, because he really couldn't get any worse AMIRITE?

2) I think Noah Syndergaard is gonna show up in the bigs this year and do well

3) Wheeler will be pretty good, not great, as long as he stays healthy. Thats a concern.

Baseball season can't get here soon enough. Its pretty much the only reason I pay for cable. 

No but really.....It cant get any worse regarding Ike haha. Lets hit up some games dude!

Ike wants to stay in NY, and the Mets are doing it the right way by not just trading him for anyone, they want a controlled MLB ready SP, and thats a little steep for Ike Davis coming off a miserible first half of 2013.  His 2nd half numbers were better, but god, the first half... woof. 

I dont think the throwaway votes are too bad. You get ten votes, if you only vote for 4 that you think deserve it, it is a nice nod to a player that you appreciate what they did.

I'm interested in your thoughts about Rivera. His he a first ballot? Is he unanimous? He is the greatest closer of all time but will some jackass or Boston media (same thing :) ) not vote him because he wasnt a starter?

Also I was surprised by Nomo getting dropped off. Dude might not have had a stellar career, but he opened the door for Japanese players to come over and did throw a couple no hitters.

I dont think the throwaway votes are too bad. You get ten votes, if you only vote for 4 that you think deserve it, it is a nice nod to a player that you appreciate what they did.

I'm interested in your thoughts about Rivera. His he a first ballot? Is he unanimous? He is the greatest closer of all time but will some jackass or Boston media (same thing :) ) not vote him because he wasnt a starter?

Also I was surprised by Nomo getting dropped off. Dude might not have had a stellar career, but he opened the door for Japanese players to come over and did throw a couple no hitters.

Rivera is a 1st ballot and he SHOULD break Tom Seavers vote record of 98.84%

I'm assuming they all don't get together and say "who is going to be the one guy to not vote for player x so that he isn't unanimous". A couple people just take it on themselves and leave guys off they know should be on.

So who knows? Maybe one year everyone puts a guy on the ballot thinking that others will be the ones to leave him off, and he gets 100%?

Seems like a good portion of the guys with the highest percentages ever were inducted in the 90s or later. Maybe the writers are actually getting a little bit looser with their votes over time.

I think Jeter has a shot at possibly being unanimous, he pretty much embodies what they want out of a player on and off the field.

I dont see Griffey Jr. being unanimous because of his injury problems. Some people will want to compare his career to what it could have been if he wasnt injured and not vote him.

I think Jeter has a shot at possibly being unanimous, he pretty much embodies what they want out of a player on and off the field.

I dont see Griffey Jr. being unanimous because of his injury problems. Some people will want to compare his career to what it could have been if he wasnt injured and not vote him.

He still played in 4 different decades. Since the BBWAA is so anti-steroid, and since Griffey is the embodiment of success without performance enhancement, I could see that heavily influencing them rewarding him. I doubt it will happen but I definitely see the possibility.

The guys point is very valid -- no one wants Griffey to gave been a clean guy but how can he be given a free pass? He was having 55 home run seasons at the same time that McGwire was breaking HR records. Braun didn't "look" like a roider. Neither did A-Rod.

You gotta be at least open to the possibility he used.

So was Cal Ripken and he wasn't unanimous. The hall of Fame Voting is really starting to become a joke. Someone actually gave Jacque Jones a vote this year. That's pretty sad.

So was Cal Ripken and he wasn't unanimous. The hall of Fame Voting is really starting to become a joke. Someone actually gave Jacque Jones a vote this year. That's pretty sad.

Like we just mentioned, there is no way anyone is seriously voting for Jacque jones. If someone was that stupid, they couldn't write for a newspaper.

Arod suspended entire 2014 year (regular/post season), he's appealing to the federal courts (only way to overturn an arbitrators decision)

It's sad to see this happening. Earlier in his career, I respected the guy. I thought he would steal the home run crown from Bonds. I thought he would give the MLB something to be proud of again. Now he's just a liar and a cheat.