MLB Discussion

Choo getting 7 years, 130 mill from the Rangers are you freaking serious? He had a good season in 2013 but that's just silly. He's 31, is awful against lefties and won't ever reproduce the power numbers that he could in the Reds park.

Ellsbury and Cano's monster contracts are going to drive up the "value" of the remaining free agents that are seen as "upper tier" players.  At least they'll be getting rid of him before he hits 40.

True. But I still don't see him as a .290/20/50 guy again. Although he could end up with more RBIs playing in the AL.

That makes no sense. Besides 2011 (in which he was dealing with a lingering broken thumb, numerous off the field issues, and his country giving him shit about serving in the military) he has reached 50 RBIs every year since becoming a full time player. He has always stayed around 20 home runs (again except for 2011) and has always had good batting average, hitting .300 or better three times, and had a great OBP. You literally have no basis as to why he wouldnt reach any of his career average numbers.

It's just my feeling about him. I never said he wasn't a great player. I'm still getting used to the idea that a guy with good but not amazing stats can fetch 20 million to hit lead off when he's 38.

Well with the way MLB works pretty much any established player is going to be overpaid at 35-40 years old.

I had dreams of Oakland signing Choo to bat leadoff. He and Jaso 1-2 getting on base 42% of the time vs righties. Sigh, to have money to spend.

It's just my feeling about him. I never said he wasn't a great player. I'm still getting used to the idea that a guy with good but not amazing stats can fetch 20 million to hit lead off when he's 38.

Market value man.  I'm not defending the deal really, but there are plenty of players worse than he is who are making more than him right now (Alfonso Soriano, Carl Crawford, Mark Teixeira etc).

He won't be leading off when he's 38, plus he'll only be making 18.5 mil a year, not 20  :lol: .   He's on on base machine, he'll be a good fit in the Texas lineup.

Have you seen his OBP? How can you not say those are great?

i think they're a little too enamored with it, though. more likely than not, he will regress. that said, he's probably still a top-10 OBP guy. but they paid him like he's a consistent .423 OBP guy, which he's not.

i feel like dudes in the past couple of years have been consistently putting up career-best numbers in their contract year.

Nelson Cruz for sure top tier, not better than cano choo or elsbury though.

Kendrys morales is still available too I think.

I cannot believe Morales was extended a QO and declined it.  I cannot imagine he'll get close to that money, especially now that a draft pick is tied to signing him.  he made $5 million last year, the 1 year offer was almost TRIPLE that salary. 

Fingers crossed for my man Jack Morris. Huge fan and he is well deserving of The Hall.  

The most interesting candidate to me is Jeff Kent. He'll never get in on this ballot but in a few years when a full understanding of where he stands historically with second basemen is realized. His numbers are awesome in context.