MLB Discussion

Are there any amnesty options in the MLB that would allow them to cut him without paying his full salary?

nope, its never been successfully bargained into the contract.  there was a LOT of push for it from MLB's side in 2011 for the current CBA, but it never happened.  I dont think it ever will, either.  outside of a handful of bad contracts, MLB teams are pretty smart with being able to survive big contracts

Kershaw already broke the $30m a year mark. Teams go a few years longer on offensive players. $300m is just going to be the going rate.

For it to be any kind of shocker when he signs his deal (in the way that the Cano deal was received, for example), he'll have to push $350m.

I dont see the point of salary caps in baseball. So the dude is making a shitload of money, but how much money is the team making off of him? It isnt like the Yanks and the Sox are winning every single world series year in year out, there has been a lot of parity, and teams that arent spending a lot of money are still making it to the playoffs (A's, Rays etc). 

I dont see the point of salary caps in baseball. So the dude is making a shitload of money, but how much money is the team making off of him? It isnt like the Yanks and the Sox are winning every single world series year in year out, there has been a lot of parity, and teams that arent spending a lot of money are still making it to the playoffs (A's, Rays etc). 

no, its the fact that there is no way on earth a team like the Pirates will ever be able to (hypothetically) keep players like McCutchen or Cole for their career because they'll be outbid by 100 million if those players live up to their true potential when they become free agents.  no salary cap in baseball greatly impacts small market teams negatively

It's a bit dated, but I thought this was pretty interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_sheehan/08/25/pirates.finances/

To some degree the problem isn't that small market teams can't sign their talent, it's that it is more financially lucrative to be bad/mediocre, continue getting high draft picks, let established talent walk, and collect revenue sharing. When it is framed that way, you can't really feel too sorry for their loss.

if the going rate for each WAR is $5.45 million (according to ESPN, who pulled it from somewhere else), trout should theoretically command $50 million a year. no idea if teams/players actually use WAR in negotiation considerations, but ESPN likes to think so. i find it really hard to even consider that he could swing a contract like that, but if teams perceive him as still developing, aka not yet in his prime, then $50 million a year could actually be worthwhile. holy moly.

I guess if any pitcher is worth nearly $31M a season, its Kershaw.

My first though when I heard this yesterday was "Damn, what's it going to cost to lock up Trout now?"

I was already thinking it would take at least $300M but  I dont see how he takes anything less than a 10 year $350M deal now. He's younger and plays every day, that's worth at least another $4M per season, if not more. Hell, if he wanted $40M a season I bet he'd get it.

It's hard to say anyone's "worth" that much money per year but if you're going to tell me someone who plays once every 5 days is worth $31 a year then the best position player in the game is easily worth $35M - $40M a year. That's scary for the Angels, they need to get him locked up ASAP.

Pitching is half the game so I don't get where people think that offense is worth more. A pitcher who goes 7 or 8 innings every 5 days influences about the same number of at-bats as a hitter does over that period of time.

Only thing I buy into is that the durability of pitchers is lower due to the stress it puts on their joints. Think they should get equal dollars / year, just over shorter commitments.

Pitching is half the game so I don't get where people think that offense is worth more. A pitcher who goes 7 or 8 innings every 5 days influences about the same number of at-bats as a hitter does over that period of time.

Only thing I buy into is that the durability of pitchers is lower due to the stress it puts on their joints. Think they should get equal dollars / year, just over shorter commitments.

its not that they're worth more its that offensive players get longer contracts than pitchers, almost always.  so its not that trout is 100% set to get more than 30 mil a year, its that he'll get 9 - 10 years, where I doubt we'll ever see a SP get a 10 year contract.  seems like 7 is about the longest teams go on SP.  so those extra 2 - 3 years could be 60 - 90 million more, putting him right around that 300 million 

someone, somewhere is an absolute genius when it came to that negotiation because kershaw's contract ends after his age-32 season and he will probably still be very, very good. wouldn't be surprised if he netted back-to-back lucrative 7-year contracts. maybe something closer to $18 million a year but if he even resembles half the pitcher he is not when he's 32 he will rake in the dough again.

Kershaw's contract has me scared shitless of what Harvey will command.

As good a pitcher as Harvey has shown he can be, he certainly won't get as much as Kershaw for a number of reasons.

• He's coming off of major elbow surgery. That instantly puts a red flag on him. 
  • He hasn't won anything, yet. Kershaw has a Rookie of the Year, 2 CY Young's, a 20 win season, 3 ERA titles and a pitching Triple Crown under his belt. Harvey doesn't have any of those.
  • He won't become a free agent until 2019 where he'll be 30, not 25 what Kershaw is today.

Harvey has the potential to become a great pitcher, but lets see him pitch a full year in the majors, go injury free once he returns as well as win some awards before he can even consider asking for $30+ million/year.

As good a pitcher as Harvey has shown he can be, he certainly won't get as much as Kershaw for a number of reasons.

• He's coming off of major elbow surgery. That instantly puts a red flag on him. 
  • He hasn't won anything, yet. Kershaw has a Rookie of the Year, 2 CY Young's, a 20 win season, 3 ERA titles and a pitching Triple Crown under his belt. Harvey doesn't have any of those.
  • He won't become a free agent until 2019 where he'll be 30, not 25 what Kershaw is today.

Harvey has the potential to become a great pitcher, but lets see him pitch a full year in the majors, go injury free once he returns as well as win some awards before he can even consider asking for $30+ million/year.

exactly, Harvey will probably get in the high teens if he can string a couple solid years together after returning from TJ

Santana was amazing at the time and has shown flashes of brilliance after coming back.

Just comes back to what we've been talking about -- the risk of going long on a pitcher. If he wasn't injured, I think he would still be a top 10 guy today. Can't prove it, but just my feeling.

Santana was amazing at the time and has shown flashes of brilliance after coming back.

Just comes back to what we've been talking about -- the risk of going long on a pitcher. If he wasn't injured, I think he would still be a top 10 guy today. Can't prove it, but just my feeling.

yup, won 2 cy youngs by age 27, Kershaw got his two by age 25.  Santana was still a dominant pitcher for the Mets from 08-10, and he'd still be a top 10 pitcher had he not missed all of 2011 and 2013 with injuries.  you can totally prove he'd be a top 10 pitcher had he been healthy those seasons, look at his win totals in his career with missing close to 3 seasons of games, 140 wins, 1988 strikeouts over 2025 innings?  and thats WITH his struggles in 2012.