MLB Discussion

Buddy got me Mets tickets for the game thursday after opening day, so I get to see Wheeler pitch! Pretty stoked on that. Nothing like a good day at the ballpark. Lets hope it isnt freezing since you know...its 27 degrees out right now over here.

supposed to be in the 60's here next week, so im sure it'll be nice in NYC too!

BASEBALL

Teheran

Wood

Harang

Hale/Schlosser (Freddi says its not decided but it will be Hale)

for the first week or two

Then Ervin Santana comes in around the 8th and Minor hopefully by the last week or so of April. Gavin Floyd is also potentially there to take a rotation spot from probably whichever of Wood/Hale/Schlosser isn't pitching well in May.

I have high hopes for Wood. He looks a lot more composed and complete as a starter than last season. He still gives up too many doubles but I believe it's just a location issue with his fastballs he can work through. Hale is a wild card to me. He pitched great in August/September last season but he has been off and on this Spring with command.

Angels release Blanton.

this is the best news i've ever heard in my whole life. thank you!!!!!!!!!! he is SO UNBELIEVABLY BAD. hasn't recorded an ERA under 4.71 since 2009. don't know why the angels ever thought that was a good idea. so much frustration inside of me being let go........ ahhhhhhhhhh..................

Minor can't come back soon enough, thats for sure.

Angels release Blanton. Angels paying he and Vernon Wells a combined $27 mil to not play for them this season.

Money well spent just to keep those guys away from a baseball field

this is the best news i've ever heard in my whole life. thank you!!!!!!!!!! he is SO UNBELIEVABLY BAD. hasn't recorded an ERA under 4.71 since 2009. don't know why the angels ever thought that was a good idea. so much frustration inside of me being let go........ ahhhhhhhhhh..................

Seriously, I coudlnt believe they stuck with him in the rotation as long as they did. You knew that any day that he started it was a for sure loss.

it's gonna be bad long-term, no doubt. i think it's different than signing cano to 10-year deal, though. the mariners aren't going to contend, whereas the tigers will contend for at least the next couple of years, if not longer. it's also fair to assume miggy holds up for a couple more years before he falls apart. so ultimately they're paying out the ass to win in the next couple of years, and i think if they do, it'll be worth it to them, and i think it's a pretty realistic scenario that they could. not saying it's actually worth it, but they will have achieved their goal.

at least they paid for him before his decline so they will have a better excuse than the angels with pujols, who paid for him after visible signs of decline

Yeah it looks like shit when he is 40 years old, but he is no doubt worth that money for the next couple years, Migs is worth a lot more than Cano is, and Cano makes 24 mil a season.  Migs also is the only person to win the triple crown and then improve on all three categories the next season. He will go down as one of the greatest and deserves to be paid as such. Only concern I'd have is with him relapsing again down the road and it affecting his play.

He had 2 years left under contract. I think there isn't much of a difference over the next 2 between the 2 deals so doesn't matter.

It's 8 years, with 2 vesting options. So if he falls apart, they won't have to pay the last 2. I think it's about 8 years, 250 mil guaranteed.

Love it. We locked up our guy for the rest of his career. It's well accepted that payroll is gonna cone down when illiitch passes -- this ensures that Miggy won't be a casualty.

Plenty of guys perform in their mid to late 30s (Beltre, Ortiz, Konerko, etc). Cabrera is on another level from these players. Best hitter we've ever seen in this generation. His downswing is still gonna be really, really good. 38, 39, 40 seasons might be bad. Oh well. 30 million will be the new 20 at that point.

Happy to know he is definitely heading to the hall as a tiger now.

so give him that money but over 5 years, not 10, thats just stupid and that franchise will regret paying him $28 million when he's 39/40 years old

That is flawed logic though when you know another team will offer him a 7 year deal. You over pay at the end because you know you are underpaying at the first half of the contract. This contract is an absolute steal for those first years. If he wanted to go year to year and not have security of where he played/lived, he could do so and command close to 38 mil a year.