MLB Discussion

Anything can happen once the playoffs start. The Cards have won 5% more of their games than the Cubs. Obviously better to win them than lose them, but that would give me little to no confidence that my team was a lock to get to the World Series.

Oh no the Cards a re from a lock for the World Series....but I feel much safer over a series of games.  Mainly happy the Cardinals don't have to play that Wild Card game (well hopefully).

i love that the sox are still playing such exciting baseball. i didn't get to watch tonight's game, but just watching the highlights on mlb were a lot of fun. 

a play at the plate with two guys scoring within inches of each other

game ending with mookie betts robbing a dinger destined for the bullpen, solidifying a CG/SO for rich hill

And the guy has made a career of putting up somewhat hollow stat lines. I think it's a stretch to call it one of the best second halves in modern baseball history. Not even sure it is better than what Eddie E had done this year. His OPS is awesome but ask teams if they would rather have a little lower total OPS for a higher balance of slugging to OBP and I think they would say yes.

His own team even said it a year or two ago -- he walks too much. Need your $20m bat to drive guys in more often.

And the guy has made a career of putting up somewhat hollow stat lines. I think it's a stretch to call it one of the best second halves in modern baseball history. Not even sure it is better than what Eddie E had done this year. His OPS is awesome but ask teams if they would rather have a little lower total OPS for a higher balance of slugging to OBP and I think they would say yes.

His own team even said it a year or two ago -- he walks too much. Need your $20m bat to drive guys in more often.

First of all, no smart team would say yes. Second of all, he's slugging .665 in the second half with a .290 IsoP, soooooo...

First of all, no smart team would say yes. Second of all, he's slugging .665 in the second half with a .290 IsoP, soooooo...

They say it all the time in their contract offers. The Reds also said it about Votto publicly.

Also, the standard that was set was all time great second half. He's having a fine year. Just pointing out that 1.2 OPS is a "standard" great half for power with extra walks and singles added on top. That's not going to produce as many runs than a comparable (I.e., producing the same OPS in the end) amount of XBHs.

Votto has 80 second half hits, 32 of which were XBH.

Edwin has 68 second half hits, 35 of which were XBH.

Edwin has had a bit more power, with Votto having more total hits (just explaining what I meant by "extra" singles). Would you rather have 12 more singles or 3 more dingers? It's probably a pretty close trade.

Where do you get your 1-1.8 numbers from? I don't have simulations or statistical regressions to point at but my intuition tells me differently. Why does a dude like Arenado who is slugging the hell out of the ball without getting on base a ton lead the league in RBIs? And I know the park helps, but why isn't a dude like DJ LeMahieu who plays in the same park, has a great OBP, but isn't slugging have 85 runs and 60 RBI? I understand that their total OPS differs by over 100, but if OBP is worth twice as much as slugging, shouldn't this pretty much balance things out?

Because looking at RBIs without context tells you more about the player's teammates' on base performance than that player's own hitting performance.

Blaming on the supporting staff is an overused argument. LeMahieu had 151 PAs with RISP, Arenado has had 175. It's DJ's wet noodle bat and Arenado's thunderstick that explains the drastic difference in RBIs, not the performance of the team around him.

Getting confused about what we are even talking about anymore. This has drifted from Votto's second half to the value of OBP to the correlation between teammate hitting and RBIs. Letting it go.

Votto has 80 second half hits, 32 of which were XBH.

Edwin has 68 second half hits, 35 of which were XBH.

Edwin has had a bit more power, with Votto having more total hits (just explaining what I meant by "extra" singles). Would you rather have 12 more singles or 3 more dingers? It's probably a pretty close trade.

Where do you get your 1-1.8 numbers from? I don't have simulations or statistical regressions to point at but my intuition tells me differently. Why does a dude like Arenado who is slugging the hell out of the ball without getting on base a ton lead the league in RBIs? And I know the park helps, but why isn't a dude like DJ LeMahieu who plays in the same park, has a great OBP, but isn't slugging have 85 runs and 60 RBI? I understand that their total OPS differs by over 100, but if OBP is worth twice as much as slugging, shouldn't this pretty much balance things out?

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/woba/

Makes sense. I'd have to dig into those numbers more to know if I trusted them. It is far from intuitive to me that a dinger would be worth a little more than double what a single is. I'd always want the guaranteed run(s) if given the choice.

Some of this is just us talking past us I think. I was arguing the importance of slugging to run production over OBP. Properly scaling them to make them comparable is important to facilitate the argument but not the argument in itself.