NFL Discussion

$110million over how many years??  the money QB's get is out of control.  Wilson has won 1 superbowl and been to another on a couple of freak minutes and HE'S going to be the highest paid QB?  what. a. joke

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

I can definitely see him getting at least a $100M contract next year. Really, a 100M contract doesn't say a lot, what you have to look at is guaranteed money any bonus and the amount of years. The market for franchise QB's is always climbing, also, the fact that the cap is going up this year will only bring the prices up. There are only so many legitimate franchise QBs in the league. Wilson is a Franchise QB, one play at the end of the SB is not going to damage his stock.

$100 million is the going rate for QB's, especially with an increased cap and TV contracts. It's only going to go up.

Guys like Flacco, Ryan, Romo and Cutler have all gotten $100+ deals so there is no doubt that Wilson deserves one too. However, i'm still on the fence about considering him a franchise QB.

Guys like Flacco, Ryan, Romo and Cutler have all gotten $100+ deals so there is no doubt that Wilson deserves one too. However, i'm still on the fence about considering him a franchise QB.

Wilson is 100% a franchise QB, but he is not an elite QB. There is a huge difference there. He has potential to grow into one though.

Wow. So much stupid. But what the hell is up with the identification???

"The 42-year-old "Dancing with the Stars" alum was booked just a few minutes ago."

You'd think HoF DT would outweigh Dancing with the stars... Lmao.

Wilson is 100% a franchise QB, but he is not an elite QB. There is a huge difference there. He has potential to grow into one though.

I think you and I have a different opinion about what a franchise QB is and honestly it's all subjective and mostly just opinions. However, to me a franchise QB has to be elite, and we both agree that Wilson isn't elite. The guy is a winner, but to me there are only 5 franchise QB's in the league - Brady, Brees, Luck, Peyton, and Rodgers.

I think you and I have a different opinion about what a franchise QB is and honestly it's all subjective and mostly just opinions. However, to me a franchise QB has to be elite, and we both agree that Wilson isn't elite. The guy is a winner, but to me there are only 5 franchise QB's in the league - Brady, Brees, Luck, Peyton, and Rodgers.

I respectully disagree. A franchise QB to me is someone that is holding the down the position to the point where a team isn't actively looking for a new QB via the draft or FA.

If the Seahawks didn't pay Russy $100 million, any team needing a QB would. Shit, Cam hasn't had a quarter of Wilson's success and he's going to get paid too.

A franchise QB is a QB that the organization has confidence in leading their team for the foreseeable future. You're idea of a franchise QB is an elite QB imo. There are a lot more than 5 franchise QB's in the league. Otherwise, you'd see a lot more turnover. Current solidified Franchise QBs imo are (no particular order)

Rodgers

Manning

Brady

Luck

Romo

Brees

Roethlisberger

WIlson

Flacco

Rivers

Stafford

Ryan

Newton

Kappernick (Team thinks he is)

Dalton is by himself, if you're better than he is, you're a franchise QB, if you're worse, you probably aren't.

These are guys on the cusp, could be losing their team's confidence or gaining it

Foles (We will see what the organization thinks in the draft)

Palmer (If not for injuries and age, he'd be up there)

Manning (obviously Eli)

Cutler (He's on a short leash with a new coach imo)

Tannehill (Not too bad)

Alex Smith (He is more of a serviceable player)

Bradford (I don't think the organization has given up on him yet)

All of this past season's starting rookies, too young to determine.

I respectully disagree. A franchise QB to me is someone that is holding the down the position to the point where a team isn't actively looking for a new QB via the draft or FA.

If the Seahawks didn't pay Russy $100 million, any team needing a QB would. Shit, Cam hasn't had a quarter of Wilson's success and he's going to get paid too.

Just because a team drafts or signs a QB and doesn't actively look for new one doesn't constitute that that QB is a franchise QB. A franchise QB to me is one that you can build your team around for the next 7-10 years. A franchise QB is also one who can carry his team on his shoulders by himself. The 5 QB's I mentioned earlier can all do that. I'm not so sure the Seahawks would be in this position they are in if they didn't have that stellar defense and Lynch. Look at Luck. The Colts don't really have a great defense and they have a so-so running game. The only way the Colts win is through Luck. I'm not discounting Wilson at all. He is a smart, good QB, but he isn't elite. He falls into the 2nd tier of QB's in my opinion.

Just because a team drafts or signs a QB and doesn't actively look for new one doesn't constitute that that QB is a franchise QB. A franchise QB to me is one that you can build your team around for the next 7-10 years. A franchise QB is also one who can carry his team on his shoulders by himself. The 5 QB's I mentioned earlier can all do that. I'm not so sure the Seahawks would be in this position they are in if they didn't have that stellar defense and Lynch. Look at Luck. The Colts don't really have a great defense and they have a so-so running game. The only way the Colts win is through Luck. I'm not discounting Wilson at all. He is a smart, good QB, but he isn't elite. He falls into the 2nd tier of QB's in my opinion.

You have to give a rookie QB's 2-3 seasons until you truly know what you have. Most teams wouldn't actively look for another starter in that time period unless you are forced too via injuries or horrific play by the rookie

what quarterback has gotten a $100+ million dollar contract immediately following their rookie contract. I cant think of a single one that even got close.

This is new due to the new salary cap but with Wilson, Luck, and Netwon all coming up for extensions we may have a new trend

what quarterback has gotten a $100+ million dollar contract immediately following their rookie contract.  I cant think of a single one that even got close.  

Matt Ryan, the year his rookie contract went up he extended 5 years 103M

Rodgers, at the end of rookie contract signed 5 year $110M extension

Flacco, after rookie contract and winning superbowl same year 6 years $120M extension.

Peyton Manning, Following rookie contract in 2003 signed 7 year 98M extension (Big money for 2004)

Kaepernick, signed $114M 6 year extension.

Dalton, 96M 6 year extension 2 years before rookie contract ended.

Eli Manning, signed 97,5M extension in 2009 following rookie contract.

It's basically the new norm for big name players since late 2000's (gotta think about inflation).. Most players don't see more than two contracts.

If guys like Roethlisberger and Rivers were a little younger and were just coming off their rookie contracts right now they'd get the 100M deals as well.

man, I had no idea those guys were all on rookie contracts still when they signed those deals. 

Well, back before the rookie signing wages agreement a lot of first round QB's would get between 30M-60M 5-6 year rookie deals. Since that no longer happens, it's basically a standardized 3-4 year deal with a 5th year option.

Well, back before the rookie signing wages agreement a lot of first round QB's would get between 30M-60M 5-6 year rookie deals. Since that no longer happens, it's basically a standardized 3-4 year deal with a 5th year option.

well i knew about the new rookie contract stabilization thing they did with the new CBA, I guess I just didnt realize that some of those QB's havent been around as long as I had thought

well i knew about the new rookie contract stabilization thing they did with the new CBA, I guess I just didnt realize that some of those QB's havent been around as long as I had thought

Some of them aren't so much young as they just had longer rookie deals. I think most of the guys I mentioned played through a 4 - 6 year rookie deal. If they came into the league at lets say 22-24 that would make them 26-30 signing their second contract.

Seattle lost the DC and have all WRs and Lynch as free agents with Wilson coming into his final year... that team could be pretty different next year.  You have to wonder how that defense will perform with someone else calling the plays, and how the offense will perform with probably 2 - 4 new WR's with Lynch and Wilson eating up most of the cap money