First time drinking

AlexH.

Went up to Canada with some friends over the weekend, bought some booze because it was legal (Captain Morgan and a 12 pack of Labatt's). had a few rum and cokes, and a few beers. No one got drunk really.

Point of this: I don't see the appeal of drinking. Shit tasted terrible.

ITT: tell me what I should have drank/tell your first drinking story.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went up to Canada with some friends over the weekend, bought some booze because it was legal (Captain Morgan and a 12 pack of Labatt's). had a few rum and cokes, and a few beers. No one got drunk really.

you're telling me that the first time you drank ever you drank a few rum and cokes and a few beers and didnt get drunk? i'm calling bluff!

you're telling me that the first time you drank ever you drank a few rum and cokes and a few beers and didnt get drunk? i'm calling bluff!

im gonna agree, it may be that my liver is fucked up, but after 1 or 2 drinks I already feel a buzz, liqour forget it about, after 1 drink im hitting on 50 year old women and throwing darts at inflatable objects

First time I got drunk was on a high school sporting trip. We finished our races on Saturday with nothing to do Sunday. So saturday night one of the dudes in out group waited outside a liquor store across from our hotel and got some dude to buy him some Zima (no joke) and a few beers. That wasn't too impressive but the people in the room next door had some Southern Comfort and they shared (which is odd to think some grown men were drinking with high schoolers...eh). I got pretty drunk and fell twice trying to walk to the bathroom.

Good times.

It was over 2 nights. I didn't have more than maybe 2 drinks in my system at any point.

yea, beer is a aquired taste...

my first beer was when i was 9. it was my cousins quincenera and my dad was drinking with my aunt, so i stole one of her schlitz beers. shit was nasty, but i drank it anyway. Just because. i drank a year later with my dad and he was drinking Pabst, little by little i acquired a taste for beer. i didn't drink hard liqour till i was 13, and my first taste was a double shot of EVERCLEAR. not my finest night that night. I went home pretty wasted and my mom had to drag me to my room to get me to sleep.. she wasn't happy.

A) If you only had more than 2 drinks in you at any given time (how long apart?) then you don't have room to validate "the appeal of drinking."

B) Labatt's isn't that good. Go get a real beer and then let me know if you think it's awful

C) You're amateurs and probably didn't mix the rum and coke well enough. Unless I'm pouring a ton of rum in a cup to get drunk ASAP then it's not that hard to make a tasty beverage.

D) WHY DIDN'T YOU AT LEAST TRY TO GET DRUNK?!?!

A) If you only had more than 2 drinks in you at any given time (how long apart?) then you don't have room to validate "the appeal of drinking."

B) Labatt's isn't that good. Go get a real beer and then let me know if you think it's awful

C) You're amateurs and probably didn't mix the rum and coke well enough. Unless I'm pouring a ton of rum in a cup to get drunk ASAP then it's not that hard to make a tasty beverage.

D) WHY DIDN'T YOU AT LEAST TRY TO GET DRUNK?!?!

A) Your body can process 1 drink an hour, right? I think I remember that from health class, or maybe I just made that up. Actually, I definitely had 3 rum & cokes in a row at one point, but let's not split hairs.

B) Fair enough.

C) Also fair enough. The rum & coke was actually pretty decent.

D) This may sound stupid to most, but I don't really care to get drunk. I guess you can't really know it unless you've done it, but that really wasn't my goal. Plus, one of my friends who was with me is a self-righteous asshole when it comes to drinking (he'll share a glass of wine with his girlfriend, but otherwise considers it a mortal sin) and I didn't care to have him on my back all weekend.

Do you drink coffee? Remember the first time you had coffee? It tasted like shit, probably. Why do you go back to it then? Because of its effect on you. Beer is the same way.

I actually started drinking coffee when I started working at a coffee shop, and I loved it. I never really "needed" coffee until I started college. But I can see how it would parallel drinking for most people.

I'm going to mostly agree with people. If you only had Labatt and Captain its hard to classify all drinking as falling to those two beverages. Labatt isn't that good and frankly I've never liked Captain. Most of the time people either start to diversify what they drink, they try gin, vodka, whiskey, etc and they also try many different beers. There's all kind of beer styles and you can't say you don't like beer until you've tried 75% of them. You have wheat beers, half wheat beers, ales, lagers, stoughts, draught (draft) beer, bottled beer, canned beer, and the list just goes on and on and on.

Personally I like vodka for my hard liquor because it has a subtle taste when mixed well but you have to stay away from the low-end stuff. Frankly, if you can't afford good high-end liquors you have to do one of two things, either accept the shittastic hangover or stick to beer.

If you try beer, get something reasonable.. a good cider is a way to start off or maybe a Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. It's payday today so im heading to the store to buy myself a 6 of each..

Sammy, I'm with ya on the vodka. Personally for me it's tumbler with 3/4 vodka 1/4 club soda, and a lime. good vodka of course.

I didn't drink until I was 22, I too wasn't impressed with the taste but that's because the only shit I had been given in the past was light beer. Light beer just isn't beer and in no way reflects how real beer will taste. The first beer I ever really enjoyed was a Bass, after that first one, it's all been kind of a blur. These days, I love Murphy's Irish Stout or Bushmills whiskey if I'm looking to get rowdy.