Worst you've ever felt *Updated* Dude is Home!

So we were cleaning the house today, and I organized a big box of mailers and was carrying the box into another room and somewhere in between one of my cats got up and decided to take a nap in the door way and I stepped on him.

Freaked out and took to the vet. Ends up dudes back right leg is broken in a weird place and he's going to need surgery... at worst we're looking at amputation. I have never felt so bad in my life. Little guy got under foot and that's his fault, but he's family and hurting him (and maybe maiming him) is fucking hard to take.

dude..that's brutal, I hope it doesn't come to amputation either. I'm sure your vet will fix him up right and everything will be alright!

When I was 14, after I moved to Indiana, our family dog ran away(the night of my Dad's birthday) after I let her out in the yard, because she knew she was dying and didn't want to be around us. This dog was terrified of leaving the yard, so she never would have left for any other reason and was on her last leg anyway, and I still regret that it was me that let her out.

later that year they adopted a new dog from a shelter and after a week we renamed her "Shadow" because she followed us everywhere and we kept tripping over her...still do to a certain degree.

yeah, he's just like seven months old, and loves to jump around and play. if he loses his leg i'm not sure i'm going to know how to deal with it.

at the end of the day i'm just thrilled there weren't any spinal injuries. giving him his pain meds tonight sucked, he really didn't like it. he's sleeping alone in a box right now so i can keep him from jumping up and down too much. goddammit.

My cat isn't too bright, and always decides to sleep right behind my rolling chair. Every time I back up (I generally check, but the rare occasion I don't...), I always roll up onto her hair. Thankfully her hair is fairly long, so I don't think it hurts her too badly. I always end up with a pile of hair in my carpet, though.

I think she's only got a 5 minute memory, though, so she'll forget about it, and then come back and lay down again, right behind my chair.

One time it was probably 2AM, I got up to take a shit, went to sit on my chair, and I guess my cat decided to take a nap. I noticed her before I completely sat down, but still, not fun for either of us.

Hope all's well with your cat, though. It really sucks when shit like that happens.

The time I felt the worst also involved a cat. I came home one day after school one day (alone, usually I took my sisters with me since we went to the same school, but they went shopping with my mom or something) and pulled into the garage. Our cat's bed was in front of my stall in the garage, and was elevated off the ground. Everyday when I got home he'd jump down and go outside to do his business. Well, this time the cat jumped down, and without knowing it I ran right over him with the front right tire. I got out and went in the house, and my when my mom got home she found him. We all freaked out, and for the first time in several years I just laid down and cried. He was 9 or 10, so he had been a part of our family for basically my sisters' entire lives. Loki, I hope your cat gets well. I know cats can be an important part of peoples' lives.

Holy shit dude, that is horrible! I've almost done that too many times to count with every animal in my house. :(

While I don't have a story to match that I did, I do have one that happened to me. I got my first cat when I was 3 and she quickly became my best friend and didn't give a shit about anyone else. When I was 19, I got a call at work (I was working at an animal hospital at the time, heh) from my mom saying that when she was pulling into the garage, she ran over the cat and killed her. :(

I'm just glad that, despite being expensive and shitty, that your cat is going to be okay. Much love man - cats FTW.

PS: This is not the year for cats, is it? First Little Bee, now this. :(

Ok so he's going to be ok.

He's getting the joint in his hip taken out, but apparently cats can live without it, because the muscle creates a kind of sling for the back leg to work. he'll have arthritis a little earlier but when all is said and done he'll be able to run and jump and play in a month.

best part: our vet is amazing. he likes us already, because he was the doctor that had to put down my family's dog a year ago, and it was his first time having to put a animal down after leaving medical school. so he feels a connection to my lady and I. So we're talking about money, and he asks "do you want him neutered?" and I'm all "yes, but we can't afford it right now." and he's like "no I mean for free while I'm in there." He's also going to keep him at the clinic for a week for free to make sure he's in tip top shape. Dude is amazing.

Bad news: emergency clinic was 400 for xrays and blood work (srsly fucking obscene) and the surgery is going to be around 600-700 so I've got to raise funds. I'm going to be selling some stuff to help soften the blow so if you want something on my list (that isn't O Pioneers) before I post a list of shit please let me know. No low balls, this is all for this little guy.

[image]

[image]

dude your cat is amazing. is one of his eyes normally squinting or is he just giving you a bit of a look for taking photos of him?

i hope it all works out ok... you sound like you have a really good vet looking after him/you

Dude's just got some attitude and gives people the stink eye whenever you say his name, take his picture, give him water, feed him, pet him.... he's just super weird. Really sweet. But he always looks at you like you're fucking nuts.