post your set-up thread

I've been on the search for a new MC cart and Dynavector has been on my short list.  I couldn't afford the XV-1S but I have been considering the 20X2 (low output).  However, I'm kinda leaning toward the Audio Technica AT33PTG/ii ... which I'd have to order from Japan.   Not thrilled about that, but it is what it is.

Well, I still haven't had a chance to set it up in my system as I got busy in my listening time...I started to listen to Miles Davis - The Blackhawk sessions, the Mosaic 6 LP box set through my Van Den Hul Grasshopper III GLA.  I'll get around to setting up the XV-1S and if anyone cares, I can write a bit about what I'm hearing.  Maybe it will give others a chance to understand the cartridge/sound a bit better.

Hank Mobley is a true highlight on this session with Miles....I'm actually enjoying Mobley's sound more than Miles in this set.

250738659684.jpg

I've been on the search for a new MC cart and Dynavector has been on my short list.  I couldn't afford the XV-1S but I have been considering the 20X2 (low output).  However, I'm kinda leaning toward the Audio Technica AT33PTG/ii ... which I'd have to order from Japan.   Not thrilled about that, but it is what it is.

You might find the AT a tad bright compared to the Dynavector

I installed a brand new AT440mla on a buddies RP1, and I thought It sounded great. The stock cart is garbage. The 440 was super clean  and detailed. It may have been lacking just a bit of body, but that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on the rest of your equipment, and what kind of sound one likes. I didn't find it to be too bright in his system.

In addition, The darn thing ACED the test record i used.

I've always found when you get to a certain level things tend to sound different rather than better or worse and yes it is definitely a case of personal preference and suitability within a system so I'm not saying anything against AT carts, I have a few MM and MC AT's that I very much like but as a very general rule I have found their sound to be a tad brighter than an equivalent Dynavector. 

That said although I don't have any in use at present my main system suits the AT sound more than the Dynavector which is probably why I don't have any Dynavector carts at the mo

My comment was more about whether the AT sound may not be for you if the Dynavector sound is your preference.  

I've always found when you get to a certain level things tend to sound different rather than better or worse and yes it is definitely a case of personal preference and suitability within a system so I'm not saying anything against AT carts, I have a few MM and MC AT's that I very much like but as a very general rule I have found their sound to be a tad brighter than an equivalent Dynavector. 

That said although I don't have any in use at present my main system suits the AT sound more than the Dynavector which is probably why I don't have any Dynavector carts at the mo

My comment was more about whether the AT sound may not be for you if the Dynavector sound is your preference.  

I agree. The first sentence, especially, is spot on.

Trust me, I've done my research and I'm fairly certain that the AT33PTG/ii is what I want.  Consensus is that it does everything really well and its sound is on the slightly cooler side of neutral.  As allenh and kannibal have said, I'm not really looking for better (although this should be a step up from my Denon DL-103D) but rather something different.  Most of my carts favor the a warmer / more lush midrange and low end.  I'd kinda like something that excels on all fronts but that also gives me some of the detail I've been lacking.

Of course, there's a U.S. version of the cart with a different stylus profile - the AT33EV - that would probably be a little closer to my Denon.  I haven't totally ruled that out either.  And it would be nice to have something with a U.S. warranty.

Truthfully, I'd probably go with the Dynavector ... if it was $300 less.  I feel like it would be right up my alley.

Ordered a Rega RP3 with the Elys 2 cartridge yesterday. I don't have room for it but it was on sale and hard to pass up. I also picked up Epos Epic 2's when they were on sale a few months ago. Now I need to find a decent integrated amp and I'll have everything for my second setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my main (bedroom) system where I want it.  This sounds better than anything else I have ever put together, I think this amp speaker combo will be with me for many glorious years.

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (w/ speedbox, music hall cork mat, and 2m red)
JVC XL-V112 CD Player

---

Sansui Au-D9 Integrated Amplifier (fully recapped and refurbished)
---
JBL L80t speakers

P1010099.jpg

P1010100.jpg

P1010114.jpg

Spinning "Places" by Alta
P1010101.jpg

Those Big Sansui's are a nice thing, I had an earlier one, can't remember the model number now but one of those I wished I had not sold.

That period of Japanese manufacture produced some rubbish but also some very nice equipment where there was a good level of competition between them all, nice to see one properly refurbished.

This Sansui isn't exactly from the "classic" period, it was from 1981, the series of amps that came after the au-919/719 series.  I'm pretty sure it was also the last series before Sansui moved all their high-end hifi gear to the "Japan-only" market.

Sansui introduced this new direct feed forward circuit that was revolutionary for its time.  It essentially eliminated distortion of any kind (it has .005% THD) making the amp incredibly detailed sounding.  While it still has that warm Sansui sound, it definitely doesn't have the marantz-like grunt that many of the mid-70s Sansuis were known for.  But for me, that's what I like about it.  I'm picking up details in the music I never could hear with other amps, not to mention it's musical as hell.   Don't get me wrong though, it still can punch you in the face.  I was listening to Former Thieves yesterday and it felt like i was watching them pummel their equipment live...

Much more British sounding then? It does seem that in the US and Japanse markets Punch was and is much more important than musicality, I like a system to be able to reproduce bass in more than just a force but musicality and all the detail to be available at low volume have always been what I look for, I had seem the Sansui's from that period and always liked the look of them but have never heard one, on your description I shall keep my eyes open.

It's amazing how much good kit was around at the time and because the advertising budgets were not as high as in some brands it can be had for a good price too.