post your set-up thread

depends on your definition of cheap.   I just ordered these after dragging my feet on building my own for far too long.

That price ain't too bad, maybe I will just end up buying those before a new preamp, thanks bud!

EDIT: For now I just placed one speaker on some shit in one corner off of the same surface as the turntable and the other speaker on a bunch of books. Ghetto, but it'll have to do for now!

Rotel RA970BX Integrated Amp

Cambridge Audio azur 551p Pre-amp

Vintage JVC Auto-Return Direct Drive L-A31 Turntable

Audioengine P4 Passive Bookshelf Speakers

Very functional.

Nice little system that, the Rotel amp and Cambridge Phono are a really good basis to build a really nice sound from and could cope with a much better turntable with ease.

It was a lot of research to decide on going with the crown. Had a few people suggesting to give it a try including Jim salk, the maker of the speakers.

It is very quiet. And it's a beast as far as power. You'd be surprised at how awesome it does and for the money is a steal.

I wish I still had the article regarding using that amp in a high end set up. It's very enlightening. I'm sure if u google it you can find more info but basically watts are watts

http://www.andrew-robinson-online.com/review-crown-xls-drivecore-series-amplifier/

Check that out. It was one of the first articles that got me interested. Upon further research it just became a no brainer.

I may eventually look at a different amp to power my set up but at this point in a very big supporter of going the crown route.

Some of the PA power amps if well designed and intended more for studio use are very very good, as a rule the cost is kept down to compete with the rest by not having very expensive cases and controls, if a circuit is good and the electronics are of sufficient tolerance it will do a good job.

The biggest parts costs in most high end solid state power amplification is the fancy metalwork (case and heatsinks) and the power supply. 

I had a German made one, can't remember the make but it really could hold it's own given a decent pre amp.

People over here now go mad for the old H&H AM 8/12 mono blocks as these are superb, not powerful but very sweet sounding, BBC designed and meant to drive the LS 3/5a speaker, they have always been a sweet little amp and used to cost peanuts because they were frowned upon as just PA rubbish but the last two parts of the above statement have finally caught hold enough to push the price right up there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, interested in getting some feedback.

Building my first hifi. As many, trying to maximize sound in a budget minded manner.

I have:

a pair of Monitor Audio Silver Rx2's (open box, paid $550)

Musical Fidelity V90 LPS Phono preamp (open box, paid $199)

I am waiting on a u-turn orbit plus with acrylic platter and grado blue cart

I want to upgrade to a true integrated amp (currently using my marantz slimline reciever and know this is not ideal). I am considering the NAD316BEE

Thoughts on the U-turn? Thoughts on the NAD316BEE?

If I'm all in for

Monitor Audio silver Rx2's. 550

Musical Fidelity v90lps. 200

U-turn plus with grado blue 360

NAD 316BEE 380

TOTAL. $1,490. USD

Could I do any better with anything else in the under $1,500 range????