NHL Discussion

In other ex-Leaf news -- good old Pat Quinn will be behind the bench for The Oil next season.

Will be interesting to see how he helms that bunch. He can't possibly be any more mediocre than MacTavish.

so many epic posts back in february... but this one was the best. sorry andrew :)

i don't want to see them trade for a fucking rental when they're going nowhere. if this team makes the playoffs, do you even expect them to get out of the first round? i sure don't. it's cup or nothing, and this year it's nothing. merely making the playoffs doesn't mean shit.

so many epic posts back in february... but this one was the best. sorry andrew :)
i don't want to see them trade for a fucking rental when they're going nowhere. if this team makes the playoffs, do you even expect them to get out of the first round? i sure don't. it's cup or nothing, and this year it's nothing. merely making the playoffs doesn't mean shit.

well, just making the playoffs didn't mean shit. i wanted to see them get back to the finals and everyone was panicking that they were going to miss it totally. and what i didn't want to see was another Hossa. i think Billy will be back, he's playing the best he has in probably 5 years and knows his best option is to stay here and be sid's wing.

let it be stated for the record: Therian would have had this team in the exact same place. this has much more to do with Gonch/Billy/Kunitz than it does the new coach IMO. and now that malkin has pulled his head out of his ass while in the playoffs, this team can win it i believe. you can't have sid carry everything though like he did first series.

well, just making the playoffs didn't mean shit. i wanted to see them get back to the finals and everyone was panicking that they were going to miss it totally. and what i didn't want to see was another Hossa. i think Billy will be back, he's playing the best he has in probably 5 years and knows his best option is to stay here and be sid's wing.

let it be stated for the record: Therian would have had this team in the exact same place. this has much more to do with Gonch/Billy/Kunitz than it does the new coach IMO. and now that malkin has pulled his head out of his ass while in the playoffs, this team can win it i believe. you can't have sid carry everything though like he did first series.

Totally disagree, the players had no direction or faith under MT, but Bylsma got them to play a style that suited the talent of the team. I'm still not convinced that anyone can beat Detroit, but if anyone can it's the Pens. It's definitely going to be tough but I hope the Pens can deal with losing a few tough games and steal a game in Detroit to nab home ice. Go Pens!

Also, please asplain the carrot broad, I'm out of the loop.

no way the pens are in the cup again with MT behind the bench. no way.

no way the pens are in the cup again with MT behind the bench. no way.

I agree with this, I think the players had completely lost faith (or whatever) in him.

Also, while I liked Gary Roberts, Bill Guerin was so much a better trade deadline move.

I can honestly say that I did not watch an entire period worth of the Pittsburgh/Carolina series.

I've watched a couple of games in the Detroit/Chicago series, but that's about it.

This Conference Finals round has to be one of the least interesting in recent memory.

Pittsburgh just completely turns me off, sorry.

When we got Guerin and before I knew what we traded away from him, I was pretty mad. I thought he'd be a bum, but man has he been exceed expectations! Talbot and FedEx continue to just keep scoring big goals in the playoffs. Sid was born for this and Malkin is showing up in the playoffs. I love it.

How funny was it last night when they were talking about Malkin getting covered and being the entire focus of the Canes' defense, then Ruslan ends up behind the goalie not covered at all and sneaks one in.

I hope Detroit closes their series tonight so we can get this thing started!

How the fuck did Carolina get that far? What a waste of a series, everyone knew they'd get slaughtered. Boston would have made that a much better series. Now we're going to get a repeat of last year and Detroit is going to win the cup again.

Carolina ran out of gas and Boston had a handful of guys with major injuries. Carolina is a very good team with probably one of the best big game goalies in the NHL right now. If Cam Ward and Fleury aren't picked over Luongo, Team Canada management is on crack.

And I wouldn't be so quick to crown Detriot. A rugged Anaheim team gave them fits and took them seven games. The Pens are a very skilled team and the Wings seem to have an injured Datsyuk and Lidstrom. Further, Malkin has shown up to these playoffs, unlike last year, and everyone on the Pens is a year older. I think the Pens have a very good shot at winning it all.

If the Pens play Detroit again I think it'll be a great series, probably 7 games. The first two games in the Finals last year the Pens looked like they weren't ready at all. The picked it up in the other 4 games and they were great to watch. Pittsburgh knows how to play and I bet they want it a lot more this year.

My prediction will probably be Pens in 7 w/ obvious homer bias, but it could go either way.

The Pens are a very healthy team (as far as we know) at the moment. Detroit has a few injuries.

I'm not writing of Chicago yet though... Although I doubt Huet can be the man.

Any objective Pittsburgh fan should be thanking New Jersey and Boston profusely.

Penguins played well and are a highly talented team. They deserve to be in the position they are. But had Carolina not gassed themselves not once but twice, the series at this point would be 2-2 at best.

Be proud of your team. Be happy. You have a great chance to win it all -- odds are in Pittsburgh's favor I'd say. Just don't gloat too much or kick on Carolina. They lost that series just as much, if not more, than you won it.

The reason the Ducks took Det to 7 games is because of their ruggedness, which is something the Pens aren't exactly known for. I think Detroit's system will be fairly successful at shutting them down. They'll do better than Chicago is doing at the moment because their stars have a bit more power than Kane and Toews but I still think Detroit takes it in 6.

i think Detroit is too deep of a team for Pittsburgh to beat, I think Pittsburgh has talent, and the series will go to 6. but in the end it will be the wings, last game vs Chicago, two of our biggest players were out, other players stepped up and it was 6-1.

it will be an awesome finals, but i just don't see the Penguins finding a solution for the wings.

i think Detroit is too deep of a team for Pittsburgh to beat, I think Pittsburgh has talent, and the series will go to 6. but in the end it will be the wings, last game vs Chicago, two of our biggest players were out, other players stepped up and it was 6-1.

it will be an awesome finals, but i just don't see the Penguins finding a solution for the wings.

6-1.... versus Huet.

sure, you had two top players out, but you were also playing against a backup goalie... and maybe detroit is deeper than the Pens, but if the pens dress 7 dmen again, crosby/malkin will be out there more up against lines that probably shouldn't be out against them, and they'll prevail.

6-1.... versus Huet.

sure, you had two top players out, but you were also playing against a backup goalie... and maybe detroit is deeper than the Pens, but if the pens dress 7 dmen again, crosby/malkin will be out there more up against lines that probably shouldn't be out against them, and they'll prevail.

5-2 vs Khabibulin game one. whats your point?

all i'm saying is the wings are dominant for a reason. i can't find a single fault in any of our lines, and if guys who don't normally get goals keep on getting goals, theres no doubt the pens will have trouble keeping up with us.

also, i'd just like to say, i enjoyed last years banter with the penguins fans, you guys love your team but aren't assholes about it. dudes are top class.

5-2 vs Khabibulin game one. whats your point?

all i'm saying is the wings are dominant for a reason. i can't find a single fault in any of our lines, and if guys who don't normally get goals keep on getting goals, theres no doubt the pens will have trouble keeping up with us.

also, i'd just like to say, i enjoyed last years banter with the penguins fans, you guys love your team but aren't assholes about it. dudes are top class.

By all accounts the Hawks are a younger, much more inexperienced team than the Penguins. I don't think it a fair comparison. The Ducks are closer because they are not intimidated by the Wings or playing in Detriot.

The Pens have the edge in net with Fleury, even if its just by a little. I would say the top forwards on then Pens are better than the top forwards on the Wings. Further, they have been much better in these playoffs. I would also not discount the grit of guys like Guerin and Kunitz, both guys who helped to totally turn around the Pens. Those guys are gritty and frankly, Crosby isn't a wallflower. He'll get his noise dirty.

And lastly, I think there's a HUGE doubt the Pens will have problems skating with the Wings. I think the sting of losing last year is a big thing for the Pens. They stayed with Detriot last year and I think they're much better this year. I think Crosby is motivated, something that shouldn't be underestimated.

The one main issue the Pens may have is someone to deal with Franzen. Gill will have to be good in this series.

Crosby and Malkin haven't faced an opponent that can bring it physically. Guess what? That’s what Detroit can do, even though no one talks about the Red Wings in that respect. And when I say bring it physically, it’s not so much as the checks and hitting as how hard Detroit makes it to win pucks, keep possession and gain the important areas of ice.

and that, is the important part.