NHL Discussion

PENGUINS IN SIX

Thursday 05-28-2009 2:50pm ET

During our brief chat today, all Sidney Crosby did was smile. He just can't wait.

That's good enough for me. Penguins in six.

Yeah, it's a team game, and there's no overlooking what Evgeni Malkin contributed to the destruction of Carolina or what Marc-Andre Fleury did to stymie Philadelphia. Guerin in the clutch, Fedotenko's post-season knack, Scuderi's shutdown magic, Staal relegating his brother to the pay-no-mind list...the roll call of heroes goes on and on.

But there's a straw to stir every drink. For the Penguins, it's Crosby.

Crosby is the vortex, the eye of the hurricane, the beating heart. He's perfectly healthy, supremely inspired and on a roll. Who's going to stop him, Grandpa Chelios?

If Crosby needs extra motivation, he's playing against Marian Hossa. Hossa may be a friend, but he's a friend who thought the Penguins weren't good enough. A Sports Illustrated poll of NHL players rated Crosby just the league's eighth-best player, a vote steeped in pro hockey's high-school dropout rate.

But that's all manufactured. The only motivation Sid needs is the Stanley Cup. He can win it at a younger age than Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr. He can win it before the Pens move into their new arena. Mostly, he just wants to win it.

Crosby will do all he can. Will it be enough?

Detroit could have done itself a favor by losing to Chicago last night, which would have pushed the start of the final back a week. That would have given the Penguins a chance to get stale while injured Detroit stars like Lidstrom and Datsyuk would have had more time to nurse injuries. That said, going back to Chicago for Game 6 would have offered up the potential for a stink sandwich.

Things are falling into place for the Penguins, They just have to take advantage.

The Penguins don't want Game 7 at Detroit. When I say Penguins in six, it's because they HAVE to win in six. They need to split the first two games in Detroit, then hold serve at home. Game 6 at Mellon Arena would favor the Penguins' legs. Game 7 at Detroit would favor the Red Wings' experience.

Detroit faces a different Penguins team than last year's. Under Michel Therrien, the Penguins played a passive rope-a-dope vs. the Red Wings. Under Dan Bylsma, the Pens will slug it out toe to toe, rush for rush, shot for shot. Do that, and goaltending becomes the primary factor. Do that, and Fleury outplays Chris Osgood.

There is not one ounce of trepidation in the Penguins locker room. That was quite evident after practice today. The Pens have no doubt they can win.

Penguins in six. It will be Crosby's first...of many.

^the notion that the Pens will end up winning is false.

Boooo! Look I'm not saying I believe there's no way the Pens will win but shit man, give credit where its due, the Pens have been the hottest team for the past few months. They have a better chance than they did last year to win and last year they got the series to six games.

^the notion that the Pens will end up winning is false.

arm wrestle me

BRING IT SUCKER! DEEETROIT MUSCLE OVER YOUR SHITSBURGH PUSSSSYYYYYY!!!!

Boooo! Look I'm not saying I believe there's no way the Pens will win but shit man, give credit where its due, the Pens have been the hottest team for the past few months. They have a better chance than they did last year to win and last year they got the series to six games.

i do give them credit. a lot actually, the Eastern Conference was very tough this year, maybe the toughest in a while. And as a 4 seed to make it to the cup is very commendable and shows just how good the Pens are/have gotten.

we've done this internet dance enough to know that certain people actually have a grasp on the game, and can appreciate a good solid series; like this one is sure to be. of course there will be the hometown bias (see above) but we all know it's in good fun and when there is a good point made we can respect each other enough to say so. no one is gonna change my mind about the outcome, just like im not gonna change a pens fan into believing the inevitable ;)

SO BRING ON THE FUCKING SERIES. PLAYOFF HOCKEY IS MY HEROIN.

and hey, at least there's no more thousands of WSH bandwagon fans shouting that a team/player sucks....or SHOOOOOOT!!

PENGUINS IN SIX

Thursday 05-28-2009 2:50pm ET

During our brief chat today, all Sidney Crosby did was smile. He just can't wait.

That's good enough for me. Penguins in six.

Yeah, it's a team game, and there's no overlooking what Evgeni Malkin contributed to the destruction of Carolina or what Marc-Andre Fleury did to stymie Philadelphia. Guerin in the clutch, Fedotenko's post-season knack, Scuderi's shutdown magic, Staal relegating his brother to the pay-no-mind list...the roll call of heroes goes on and on.

But there's a straw to stir every drink. For the Penguins, it's Crosby.

Crosby is the vortex, the eye of the hurricane, the beating heart. He's perfectly healthy, supremely inspired and on a roll. Who's going to stop him, Grandpa Chelios?

If Crosby needs extra motivation, he's playing against Marian Hossa. Hossa may be a friend, but he's a friend who thought the Penguins weren't good enough. A Sports Illustrated poll of NHL players rated Crosby just the league's eighth-best player, a vote steeped in pro hockey's high-school dropout rate.

But that's all manufactured. The only motivation Sid needs is the Stanley Cup. He can win it at a younger age than Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr. He can win it before the Pens move into their new arena. Mostly, he just wants to win it.

Crosby will do all he can. Will it be enough?

Detroit could have done itself a favor by losing to Chicago last night, which would have pushed the start of the final back a week. That would have given the Penguins a chance to get stale while injured Detroit stars like Lidstrom and Datsyuk would have had more time to nurse injuries. That said, going back to Chicago for Game 6 would have offered up the potential for a stink sandwich.

Things are falling into place for the Penguins, They just have to take advantage.

The Penguins don't want Game 7 at Detroit. When I say Penguins in six, it's because they HAVE to win in six. They need to split the first two games in Detroit, then hold serve at home. Game 6 at Mellon Arena would favor the Penguins' legs. Game 7 at Detroit would favor the Red Wings' experience.

Detroit faces a different Penguins team than last year's. Under Michel Therrien, the Penguins played a passive rope-a-dope vs. the Red Wings. Under Dan Bylsma, the Pens will slug it out toe to toe, rush for rush, shot for shot. Do that, and goaltending becomes the primary factor. Do that, and Fleury outplays Chris Osgood.

There is not one ounce of trepidation in the Penguins locker room. That was quite evident after practice today. The Pens have no doubt they can win.

Penguins in six. It will be Crosby's first...of many.

also, source of article?

all i hear is blah blah speculation blah fucking blah.

Wings in 6.

Digging through stats it looks like the Wings were a far better team last year. They won 3 more games (54 total), lost the same (7), scored 40 less goals (257) but gave up 60 less (184). 115 points last year, 112 points this year.

Last year Osgood had a .914 save percentage and a 2.09 GAA. This year he's got GAA of 3.09 and a save percentage of .887. Now, he's been WAY better in the playoffs but I'm still a little shocked people would postulate this Wings team better than last years.

I don't think the Pens would have gone to the Cup with Hossa on the team this year, the 6 players they picked up in July and in March (Satan, Feds, Cooke, Guerin, Kunitz, Adams) probably wouldn't have been on the team because of how much cap space Hossa would have taken up... well, Adams was picked up off Waivers, but the other 5, wouldn't have had the cap space to sign them up/trade for them even with Whitney's freed up monaayzzz. So even though at the time I hated Hossa for his reasoning, I now think it was the right move for him and the Pens, because he's in the Cup finals with the Red Wings, one series away from getting what he wants. And so are the Pens.