NHL Discussion

let me break down the next few weeks of this thread:

1. people will talk about why the pens deserve it, and why they've gotten better and learned from their mistakes.

2. a few wings fans will comment on how it looks likes a repeat of last year.

3. someone (likely a fan of a team that was knocked out) will call someone a fag.

4. repeat 1-3 as the series goes on.

(wings in 6, pens are good, but not good enough ;D.)

let me break down the next few weeks of this thread:

1. people will talk about why the pens deserve it, and why they've gotten better and learned from their mistakes.

2. a few wings fans will comment on how it looks likes a repeat of last year.

3. someone (likely a fan of a team that was knocked out) will call someone a fag.

4. repeat 1-3 as the series goes on.

(wings in 6, pens are good, but not good enough ;D.)

hahaha

fuck

im gunna be in the woods for game 4....

2009 STANLEY CUP FINAL

SERIES O

#2 vs. #4 Network

Saturday, May 30 at Detroit, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS

Sunday, May 31 at Detroit, TBD-Night NBC, CBC, RDS

Tuesday, June 2 at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm VERSUS, CBC, RDS

Thursday, June 4 at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm VERSUS, CBC, RDS

* Saturday, June 6 at Detroit, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS

* Tuesday, June 9 at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS

* Friday, June 12 at Detroit, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS

chances are you're wrong. i'm 30. unless you're in your 40s (or older) you don't remember detroit being a lousy team either.

Detroit stunk from the late sixties until well in to the mid/late 80's -- the better part of two decades. They didn't win their division until 87, I believe, and didn't win the conference until 94. I'm 30 as well and can clearly remember the mid 80's.

they made the playoffs in 84 and 85. didn't do much once they got there but they still made it. 86 they tanked and finished last if i remember correctly. then they started their playoff run in 87.

so really the red wings "shit" teams ended in the early 80s. if you're 30 now that means you were born in 78 or 79. so you don't clearly remember how the red wings were doing in the early 80s. becauase you would have been somewhere between 3 and 5.

so really what i'm trying to say here is that i call bullshit. you don't remember the wings having a shit team as much as you've read online about their shit teams.

care to make a wager?

red wings win the cup you admit you don't know your elbow from your asshole.

pens win i buy you a hooker so you can finally lose your virginity.

LOL, mr too cool over here!

okay okay. if the pens win i'll get crosby to take your virginity. but i think he likes his boys under the age of 12 so there might be some problems there.

god i hate this cup final.

at least the wings will be able to take care of the pens quickly.

I hope more than 1/2 of the game will be played 5 on 5 but i fucking doubt it.

terrible hockey - here we come.

by the way - all of my posts here have been right.

also - post your picks before the beginning of the first game

wings - 5 for me

wings - 5 for me

all your posts have been right, okay... in your standings for who wins/loses... you're 2nd to last. i'll let you call the wings in 5 since you've been unable to get much right any other time.

flyers fan complaining about terrible hockey or hoping for few penalties... LOL.

Crime, you're 30 and you can't come up w/ better insults? I heard worse stuff on the playground when I was 6.

You said the Wings are better than last year and the Pens are worse, but I think the general consensus around the league, the media, and the fans is that the Red Wings are a slight tick worse than last year, despite being better on paper. And the Penguins are slightly better than last year.

I feel again that this series comes down to the goalies. Does regular season Osgood show up or does the playoff beast stay between the pipes? What about Fleury? Do we get the fluke one or the guy that kept the Pens in the Finals last year?

I hope Bylsma sticks w/ the 7 defensemen, because it enables the Pens to roll 4 dominant lines to match the Red Wings. One very important aspect of this series is that third line. This year the Pens are rolling one of the best in Cooke-Staal-Kennedy.

I'll be sick of the Hossa story line in about 15-minutes, so let me get this out of the way now.

Am I mad at Hossa for ditching Pittsburgh? Kind of. First off, I never thought he would sign w/ us, so him walking was no big deal. It stung that he went w/ Detroit 6-weeks after the Finals, but he wanted to go w/ a winner -- something I admire as most athletes are on a paper chase. The thing that upset me was that he said Detroit gave him the better chance to win the Cup. That hurts. I'd love to see him lose this series, now that'd be an interesting storyline.

I'll make my prediction closer to Saturday.

wings - 5 for me

all your posts have been right, okay... in your standings for who wins/loses... you're 2nd to last. i'll let you call the wings in 5 since you've been unable to get much right any other time.

flyers fan complaining about terrible hockey or hoping for few penalties... LOL.

Haha, agreed.

they made the playoffs in 84 and 85. didn't do much once they got there but they still made it. 86 they tanked and finished last if i remember correctly. then they started their playoff run in 87.

so really the red wings "shit" teams ended in the early 80s. if you're 30 now that means you were born in 78 or 79. so you don't clearly remember how the red wings were doing in the early 80s. becauase you would have been somewhere between 3 and 5.

so really what i'm trying to say here is that i call bullshit. you don't remember the wings having a shit team as much as you've read online about their shit teams.

I don't know about anyone else, but I remember being 3 quite well. I first started skating when I was 3. My father would get me out of bed to watch the third period of the first HNIC game. I started pre-K when I was 3. Hell, I still remember our home phone number from our apartment that we lived in until I was 5.

And I know for a fact that Detroit was lousy. In fact, my beloved Maple Leafs were one of the few teams that were lousier.

And making the playoffs as a sub-.500 team is nothing to brag about.

Sure I read online. Most fans of a given sport follow the game's history and statistics. What of it? My original point was that a good chunk of Detroit fans today have only known the team in the Yzerman+ era and know only winning. As such, the ignorance and arrogance of them is appalling. Since you display similar qualities, I could only assume.

sooooo.... Pens are in the Stanley Cup Finals and Natalie and I will be in California through game 6.... that being said...

anyone know of ANY good places to watch hockey games at in San Diego, Santa Cruz and San Francisco? We'll be staying near Sea World in San Diego, in the mountains near Santa Cruz and pretty much downtown in San Francisco... any suggestions on this would be awesome so we don't end up watching the games in the room, haha were both diehard Pens fans... sucks our trip to California is getting in the way of watching the Cup run...