NHL Discussion

who says i'm ignoring zetterberg's strap?

the way the rules are written doesn't seem to matter for the nhl brass, that's my point.

i 100% disagree with your assement on the hossa non call and malkin's instigator was clear as day......

but my point is that the league makes things up as they go

And my point is, simply, you're wrong. I'm not sure how you disagree on the Hossa non-call, every announcer watching the game said the same thing.

Ugh, I just read this...

No defending player, except the goalkeeper, will be permitted to fall on the puck [guilty], hold the puck, pick up the puck, or gather the puck into the body [guilty] or hands when the puck is within the goal crease. For infringement of this rule, play shall immediately be stopped and a penalty shot shall be ordered against the offending team, but no other penalty shall be given.

That's 2 penalty shots Zetterberg should have given the Pens now. Oh well...

There's this on the Hossa thing:

[image]

...but if I'm not mistaken, he hooked him a bit before this happened.

This series is reminding me a lot of the Caps / Pens series. The Caps pulled out a 2-0 lead in that one as well. It seems the Pen's have the ability to dominate at times, but the bounces aren't going their way. Game #3 will hopefully go the way for the Pens, but if they don't win 3 & 4 then it's time to gift wrap the cup for the Wings.

Regardless, this has been a fun series for the first two games, much better than last years.

the Wings aren't the Caps though. the Wings are a much deeper/stronger team than the Caps. with the Wings if you're able to shut down one player/line on the team another player/line steps up to fill in the hole. add in that osgood is playing great and I really just can not see the Pens coming back from being down 2-0.

as for the whole Malkin issue. he should have been given a game suspension. he was no where near Zetterburg when things started going down around the net. he fully came along and went right after Zetterburg. obviously trying to start something. if Zetterburg hadn't faught back then it would have been really strange for Malkin to not get the suspension. but with Zetterburg fighting back i can slightly see why they didn't hand out the suspension. but i'll have to agree with the reason Malkin isn't suspended is league favourtism. if any other player on any other team (minus maybe the ducks) had done what Malkin had done he would have been handed a game suspension.

Ugh, way to remind me about the Hossa one. I just threw up in the mouth. I gotta admit, that was tough for the ref to see. Watching it Live I thought Dupuis dropped his stick. That play changed the game, but I'm not going to complain about it.

As for jerseys being tied down, I believe they're just Velcro straps, not exactly the hardest thing to tear apart.

Dupuis ended up dropping his stick because not only did Hossa hook him under the hands he slashed him and broke the stick. Its so clear as day.

if the nhl wants to viewed as a legit league they can't make up rules as they go.

Okay, so then Zetterberg gets tossed from the game too. His jersey wasn't tied down or are you just going to keep on ignoring that? Also, refs make bad calls, period. The call on Malkin for the instigator was a bad call. Its pretty easy to understand unless you want to invent some kind of conspiracy, which you seem interested in doing.

how was it a bad call? Malkin came up to Zetterburg and started shit. hence he "instigated". he didn't instigate the whole scuffle at the net at the end of the game. but he definately did against Zetterburg.

Seems the rumor sites are indicating the Kings could make a hockey deal (meaning a deal that's fair for both sides) and end-up with Vinny Lecavalier from Tampa.

If this is true, I predict some empty stands this season.

Vinny is the face of the franchise and there will be a lot of pissed off folks in this town. Especially a year after Richards and Boyle were ushered out the door.

Personally, I understand moves like this. Since it's rumoured as a "hockey deal" I'd need to see the compensation package before I form an opinion.

There has been much attention given to Vinny the second half of this season -- all that Montreal noise. I listen to local sports talk on my way home from work, and from what I hear from the fans indicates that there will be nothing short of a riot if Mr. Lecavalier is traded.

Could all be bullshit, though.

I still say that Malone and that pick wind up in Toronto somehow.

If this is true, I predict some empty stands this season.

Vinny is the face of the franchise and there will be a lot of pissed off folks in this town. Especially a year after Richards and Boyle were ushered out the door.

Personally, I understand moves like this. Since it's rumoured as a "hockey deal" I'd need to see the compensation package before I form an opinion.

I, though obviously bias, think the Kings are one of the few teams who could offer a package inline with Vinny's worth while not making it a "four quarters for a dollar" type deal.

The Tampa ends up with one, or even two, of the following:

Thomas Hickey

Colton Teubert

Voynov

Jack Johnson

And maybe one, or again even two of the following:

Purcell

Boyle

Moulson

Lewis

I think in a year or two that's going to be something nice. It won't be pleasant in the near term but I just can't see Tampa winning without some major upheaval.

Zetterberg whacked a Penguin, Talbot prior to that.

Talbot put his stick into Osgood's chest and pushed him into the net. Zetterburg was just trying to protect his goalie (like any player would). then Malkin came up from behind and started the fight with Zetterburg.

still say if anyother player on another team had pulled that shit they'd be sitting out game 3.

That rumor is coming from Eklund, so it holds negative weight right now, haha.

About Vinny? That rumor is more than just Eklund.

Zetterberg whacked a Penguin, Talbot prior to that.

Talbot put his stick into Osgood's chest and pushed him into the net. Zetterburg was just trying to protect his goalie (like any player would). then Malkin came up from behind and started the fight with Zetterburg.

still say if anyother player on another team had pulled that shit they'd be sitting out game 3.

And Osgood flopped a bit there. And jesus, can we quit with referee griping. You're up 2-0 in the series and the calls have been even. Do you really think you need Malkin to be gone to win? I mean what's with pining for him to be suspended?

That rumor is coming from Eklund, so it holds negative weight right now, haha.

About Vinny? That rumor is more than just Eklund.

And Osgood flopped a bit there. And jesus, can we quit with referee griping. You're up 2-0 in the series and the calls have been even. Do you really think you need Malkin to be gone to win? I mean what's with pining for him to be suspended?

I thought Eklund broke that news?

While watching last night, I thought Malkin deserved something more than a fighting major for all that shenanigans, because he really did come excessively far to start a fight with Zett. but meh. It wasn't a "holy shit, why isn't he suspended?!?" moment at all. I'm actually more disappointed that whoever that was (Talbot?) that jabbed Osgood wasn't straight up punched in the mouth rather than given a little palm-action. That used to be called spearing, no matter how hard it was, but that rule evaporated with a lot of the others.

You mean boring? I think you mean boring.

no, he didn't. you just wish he did.

Oh no, not all, I'm quite sure the Red Wings are a boring, boring team.

While watching last night, I thought Malkin deserved something more than a fighting major for all that shenanigans, because he really did come excessively far to start a fight with Zett. but meh. It wasn't a "holy shit, why isn't he suspended?!?" moment at all. I'm actually more disappointed that whoever that was (Talbot?) that jabbed Osgood wasn't straight up punched in the mouth rather than given a little palm-action. That used to be called spearing, no matter how hard it was, but that rule evaporated with a lot of the others.

That was never fucking spearing and it happens a ton. Its a guy poking for a lose puck because he wants to win the Cup. And forget about how goalies have the most padding of anyone on the ice. I'm tired of this goalie shield people put up and especially from Detroit being that Holmstrom sticks his ass in the crease and was midly interfering with Fleury on one of the goals yesterday. Goalies have a ton of pads but yet they can't be touched but they themselves can throw check and move in front of people and do what they please. Its total crap. What happened at the end of the game was nothing, it was a scrum just like what happened in the Anaheim series. Its fucking hockey and hockey ain't for skirt wearing pussies.

You watch the Devils much? They make the wings look like that 8-7 Buffalo/Ottawa playoff game out of the lockout.

This year's Devils were much more exciting than the Devils normally are. Parise is an amazing player. The Wings sit back, play disciplined, and wait for teams to make mistakes or take penalties. They don't have a tried-and-true first ballot hall-of-famer on their forward corps. Both Zetterberg and Dats are marginal HOFers and Hossa might get there but its unlikely. They just don't do much exciting like they did when they won it in 96-97 and 97-98. Certainly far less skill and punch on this team compared to that one.