NHL Discussion

not even close to the same thing. you can't compare a balls and stike call (that happens what - 200 times a game? - to an instigator call. the closest comparison to baseball would be a bench clearing brawl or something. or as in basketball - they had the rule that if you stepped on the court during a brawl you would get a suspenson.

Agreed it's not the same. It's worse. Since it happens, what, 200 times a game, the error effects, or has the potential to effect, the outcome of the game in a far greater way than one missed or usurped call in a hockey match.

I wasn't comparing the call -- just the fact that rules are interpreted in our sport much the same way as laws are interpreted in our judicial system. Why do you refuse to grasp this concept?

Read any of the celebrity gossip blog shit. They break laws (aka rules to the game of life) all the time. Do their punishments resemble that of the common man? Absolutely not. They get slaps on the wrist or heads turn the other way. Isn't a "superstar" in the NHL nothing more than a "hockey celebrity?" The precedent has been set in the hearts and minds of our entire culture on how we deal with the infractions of our celebrities. Hockey is not immune to this, nor should it be.

Is it right? Irrelevant. It is what is accepted. Gay marraige bans are unconstitutional. They're not right. But at the present time, they are accepted by the majority of the population.

Malkin is a celebrity. Carcillo is not. Carcillo gets suspended. Malkin does not.

End of story.

not even close to the same thing. you can't compare a balls and stike call (that happens what - 200 times a game? - to an instigator call. the closest comparison to baseball would be a bench clearing brawl or something. or as in basketball - they had the rule that if you stepped on the court during a brawl you would get a suspenson.

Agreed it's not the same. It's worse. Since it happens, what, 200 times a game, the error effects, or has the potential to effect, the outcome of the game in a far greater way than one missed or usurped call in a hockey match.

I wasn't comparing the call -- just the fact that rules are interpreted in our sport much the same way as laws are interpreted in our judicial system. Why do you refuse to grasp this concept?

Read any of the celebrity gossip blog shit. They break laws (aka rules to the game of life) all the time. Do their punishments resemble that of the common man? Absolutely not. They get slaps on the wrist or heads turn the other way. Isn't a "superstar" in the NHL nothing more than a "hockey celebrity?" The precedent has been set in the hearts and minds of our entire culture on how we deal with the infractions of our celebrities. Hockey is not immune to this, nor should it be.

Is it right? Irrelevant. It is what is accepted. Gay marraige bans are unconstitutional. They're not right. But at the present time, they are accepted by the majority of the population.

Malkin is a celebrity. Carcillo is not. Carcillo gets suspended. Malkin does not.

End of story.

no, a missed ball/strike call rarely effects the outcome of a game compared to a suspension being revoked.....balls/strikes are like calling an offside.

you are blowing my mind by trying to bring in gay marraige and law into this....

if you think i'm not grasping a concept then i ask, what are your thoughts on the NBA thing i referenced?

Brad talking about refereeing again... what else is new?!?!

it's not just about the reffs...it's about campbell and bettman making rules up as they go.

Can we just put the referee stuff on the shelf with the idea that we all agree the refs miss things for each team? I mean that Zetterberg call was as obvious as the Too-Many Men On the Ice call.

fine. i think a 25 second 6-5 is hard to miss, but regardless...refs make mistakes.

the initial point of what i first said was that guys like campbell are making the NHL a mockery.

End of story.

no, a missed ball/strike call rarely effects the outcome of a game compared to a suspension being revoked.....balls/strikes are like calling an offside.

you are blowing my mind by trying to bring in gay marraige and law into this....

if you think i'm not grasping a concept then i ask, what are your thoughts on the NBA thing i referenced?

I'm sorry, but you're hopeless.

Continue on with your conspiracy theories. I shall ignore them henceforth.

lol, it has nothing to with conspiracy theories.

so, no thoughts on the NBA thing i referenced?

this has nothing to do with teams, this has to do with campbell/bettman making rules up as they go....that and gay marraige obviously

I know next to nothing of the NBA, it's rules, regulations, players, nuances or anything. Therefore, I have no grounds to form an opinion.

I think basketball is stupid, honestly. Any game you can conceivably score on your opponent upwards of 50 times is a joke.

You obviously don't grasp comparing and contrasting either. I used gay marraige as an example of another concept that is incorrect, yet it is accepted. It's not right. But right now, it's what we've got to deal with.

If you don't like the way the league conducts itself and are personally offended, remove yourself from harm's way.

The rest of us are watching hockey, not Bettman or Campbell.

lol, it has nothing to with conspiracy theories.

so, no thoughts on the NBA thing i referenced?

this has nothing to do with teams, this has to do with campbell/bettman making rules up as they go....that and gay marraige obviously

I know next to nothing of the NBA, it's rules, regulations, players, nuances or anything. Therefore, I have no grounds to form an opinion.

I think basketball is stupid, honestly. Any game you can conceivably score on your opponent upwards of 50 times is a joke.

You obviously don't grasp comparing and contrasting either. I used gay marraige as an example of another concept that is incorrect, yet it is accepted. It's not right. But right now, it's what we've got to deal with.

If you don't like the way the league conducts itself and are personally offended, remove yourself from harm's way.

The rest of us are watching hockey, not Bettman or Campbell.

I don't know anything about basketball either but that post i referenced did a great job explaining the issue.

fine, you want to compare and contrast?

i think favoring superstars is wrong...as is pulling people over for DWB and not allowing gay marraige.

according to you, i should let the issues be with the NHL...should i also let the DWB and gay rights issues be?

boom - roasted.

I don't know anything about basketball either but that post i referenced did a great job explaining the issue.

i think favoring superstars is wrong...as is pulling people over for DWB and not allowing gay marraige.

according to you, i should let the issues be with the NHL...should i also let the DWB and gay rights issues be?

boom - roasted.

No, sir. You roasted yourself.

You, again, demonstrated that you are only capable of viewing things in black and white. Further, it appears that you are unable to observe the similarities in differert scenarios while at the same time respecting that they are different and need to be addressed differently.

Any chance you're republican?

boom - roasted.

No, sir. You roasted yourself.

You, again, demonstrated that you are only capable of viewing things in black and white. Further, it appears that you are unable to observe the similarities in differert scenarios while at the same time respecting that they are different and need to be addressed differently.

Any chance you're republican?

keep dodging.

i would classify myself as a libertarian. what made you think i was a republican? the fact that i said not allowing gay marraige is wrong?

One last thing: I believe you're a Flyers fan. Don't you think your dearth of superstars would get the same treatment? I mean Carcillo got the gate but that's not going to happen to Richards. Its not going to happen to Briere, Carter, or Gagne either. If you're a Wings fan you know Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and to a less extent Draper are all going to get calls. Even if you're right about the favoritism and I think its more nuanced than describing is thusly allows, it happens on every team to each team's star(s).

I remember a simpler time when hockey was discussed here.

Agreed. My apologies. I got sucked in.

I'm done now.

Ha ha thanks for the apology. I just really got sick of reading 5 pages of missed calls and how the NHL is a terrible league. So, my post wasn't really geared at you, but I do appreciate the apology :)

One last thing: I believe you're a Flyers fan. Don't you think your dearth of superstars would get the same treatment? I mean Carcillo got the gate but that's not going to happen to Richards. Its not going to happen to Briere, Carter, or Gagne either. If you're a Wings fan you know Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and to a less extent Draper are all going to get calls. Even if you're right about the favoritism and I think its more nuanced than describing is thusly allows, it happens on every team to each team's star(s).

i agree. if that malkin thing was with richards/carter/briere/datsyuk/zetterberg/pronger/lidstrom/crosbythen no way either of those players get suspended. it's not a pens vs. everyone else situation. it's a superstar vs 3rd/4th liner situation.

although i do wonder if there would have been a difference if the team was up 2-0 rather than down 2-0. does malkin being down 2-0 get the treatment while a lesser star (but still star) richards/semin/keith/coburn/krownwall/whoever get the same reversal if they are up 2-0?

i'm sure the likes of carcillo/avery/brasher and even the talbots of the leauge would be gone (especially if their team was up 2 - 0 in the series.

i think it's B.S. that that's how the leauge opperates. I've been agaisnt the instigator rule from the start and if there was no instigator rule there wouldn't be an issue at all...but my point is the leauge looks bad when they selectivly enforce a black and white rule.

hilarious:

the picture with the posters is awesome as well

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/detroit_pittsburgh_both_attempting?utm_source=a-section

DETROIT/PITTSBURGH—As the Stanley Cup Finals continue, Penguins and Red Wings fans alike are urging their teams to spare their beleaguered cities the expense of a championship victory.

"We are extremely proud of our Red Wings, and we know they could certainly come through for us, but we beg them: Please don't make us throw an expensive and wasteful championship parade," said Detroit mayor and former NBA great Dave Bing, who wore a Penguins jersey as he spoke to reporters Wednesday of how he had done his civic duty in the turbulent 1960s and '70s by not winning an NBA championship with the Pistons. "The Western Conference championship is all our city can afford at this time."

Pittsburgh mayor Luke Ravenstahl also spoke on Wednesday, telling the media that his city was "devastated" Tuesday when the Penguins won Game 3 of the finals after a financially promising 0-2 start.

"The Steelers' championship parade cost us roughly $6.5 million in street closures, float rental, security expenditures, and sanitation overtime—not to mention the incalculable loss of man-hours for our struggling local businesses," Ravenstahl said. ""Pittsburgh can't afford to forget how the four Super Bowl parades we had in the 1970s were followed by mill closures, layoffs, and a decade-long recession. Let's go Wings!"

The first two games, both played in Detroit's aging, dilapidated Joe Louis Arena, went poorly for the home team as the Wings were unable to keep themselves from scoring. After the stalemate of the opening faceoff, which saw both teams remaining absolutely motionless for several minutes and refusing to touch the dropped puck until referees threatened to declare a double-forfeit, the players struggled valiantly to score on themselves and defend the opposing net in a contest that ended in triumph for the Penguins, who lost 1-3.

Game 2 was a virtual repeat, with the added ignominy of former hometown favorite and Michigan native Justin Abdelkader scoring the second of his first two NHL goals, putting the game away for the Red Wings and inching Detroit closer to Stanley Cup victory and economic collapse.

"I did everything I could, but Sidney Crosby just refuses to not lay down and die," said Detroit netminder Chris Osgood, who allowed only one goal in each of the first two games and took personal responsibility for the victories. "I tried scooping the puck in, I tried gloving it past myself, I used the stick, but it kept going off the post. The fans gave me hell, and they're right—I'll never forgive myself if we win the Cup and they have to close a bunch of schools."

Game 3 is being called a possible turning point, a dominant performance by the Penguins that has left a once-hopeful Pittsburgh staring at the dreaded prospect of not only a monstrously expensive come-from-behind victory in the series, but also the cost of hosting yet more games if the Cup Finals drag on.

Analysts were quick to dissect the sudden change in momentum. "They did everything they could, really—no real forechecking, Fleury went down on his back a lot, and they dressed defenseman Hall Gill. Hal Gill sucks. At one point they even tried to draw a penalty by putting six guys on the ice for 20 seconds, but the refs were letting them play, and the Wings just underwhelmed them," said Bloomberg financial analyst Hamilton Kublin. "Pittsburgh has to do a better job of neutralizing Crosby, Malkin, and Gonchar, or they'll win the championship and the city won't be able to keep the lights on."

"A Red Wings victory would be a big boost to civic pride, but the resulting celebrations would be a fatal blow to the city budget," Detroit City Council president Ken Cockerel, Jr. said. "I intend to ask Washington for a bailout in which they send Alexander Ovechkin to Pittsburgh for the length of the series. Whatever happens, I know Detroit will be rooting for the Penguins from here on out."

Mayors Bing and Ravenstahl have met publicly to discuss the series and wish each other luck, though neither seems willing to budge on the terms of the traditional mayor's bet they agreed to before Game 1, which states that the winning city will grant the losing city 5,000 full-time jobs in the manufacturing and technology sectors.

I need a Pens jersey ASAP but I can't spend the cash right now and I'm real picky. I don't want a Malkin or Crosby jersey. Thinking Talbot, Letang, or Orpik. Shit goes on sale in the off season but by the time you know the contract situations with everyone, it's too late.

If you don't mind players that aren't on the team anymore the official Pens store in the arena has jerseys pretty cheap. I think I saw a Laraque for like $40. I'm going to get a Satan one after the season, just so I always have a jersey that says SATAN.