NHL Discussion

I can. They guy doesn't play well in the playoffs, is the only tradable asset that can free up salary cap space/and is part of a logjam at center

Richards will never go anywhere, briere just had 30 points in the playoffs, hartnell massively stepped up his game (and wouldn't be that valuble regardless) giroux is untouchable.

It's a little early to give up on JVR.

Plus a bunch of those guys have NTC. Gagne has one as well.

Carter doesn't and has a 5m cap hit and is good enough to net a positive return.

If leino didn't come out of nowhere the flyers would be desperate for a winger, even with him they could do with one or two more.

I heard some talk about a possible trade skeleton of Bobby Ryan and Jeff Carter. Some pieces would be added but. The flyers / ducks have a good trade relationship and the ducks desperatly need a true #2 center.

Carter is the best asset to get players or a great goalie back.

I would trade for price in a heartbeat.

Hawks aren't in THAT bad of shape. They have plenty of pieces to trade and they could actually get quite a haul in return.

Hell, they could add Kaberle if Toronto took Campbell back. That'd actually help quite a bit!

I don't want to burst bubbles but the Hawks have 14 guys under contract for next year and are already over the total salary cap. They won their Cup and I'd do the same thing but there's going to be more than 1 or 2 player leaving Chi-town. I'd imagine Huet gets bought out first while Sopel, Versteeg, and Sharp all get moved. Don't forget, Seabrook is an RFA end of next year too.

There's no bubbles to burst, as I am very aware of the Hawks cap situation. First, though, the salary cap has not yet been set for 2010-2011. It will likely go up a million or two. Second, they don't need to dump these guys for nothing. PLENTY of teams would love to have Versteeg or Byfuglien or Sopel or whoever. The only REAL challenge is the Huet situation, and as I mentioned, maybe you can get a team to take him off your hands if you include Versteeg or picks or whatever in the deal. Hell, somebody could trade for him THEN buy him out if they have the cap space if they get a worthwhile return.

Also, I don't see Sharp going anywhere. People love to talk about Sharp, because he's awesome, but he's one of the best two-way guys in the league, a great locker room presence, and he's signed at an excellent cap hit deal. The reality is that even if the Hawks do have to trade a few pieces away, they will be able to fill holes in the team with role players and call-ups from Rockford. Kyle Beach(F) is near ready. Shawn Lalonde(D) is possibly ready as well. Guys like Dowell and Bickell have shown they're NHL ready and can handle 4th line minutes. No need to waste cap money on that, so it'll be filled up with league minimum guys.

So here's how I see it:

1. ALL of the UFAs are gone (Madden, Boynton, Burish, Johnsson) unless they're willing to sign super cheap deals - none of them will as they're all worth more than that except maybe Boynton. I could see him sticking around for a year on a real cheap one-way deal considering he had to spend time in the minors this year then got to win a cup with the Blackhawks. It's a winning situation, he's not getting younger, etc. I'm ok with keeping him around cheap. The other guys are gone, and Johnsson's career might very well be over considering he hasn't even SKATED or worked out since March.

2. Of the RFAs, the only one you prioritize signing is Hjalmarsson. He's worth $3MM for 2-3 years. If some idiotic team signs him to an offer sheet for upwards of that, let him go, take their 1st and 3rd round picks in 2011. Then replace him via free agency with a veteran stay-at-home type who can play 2nd pair minutes. Or bring Lalonde up and see what the kid can do. Plenty of 3rd pair type guys around the league who will sign with a Cup winning team on the cheap.

Niemi is completely expendable. His playoff stats were the very definition of average and he has not shown that he's completely ready to play a full NHL season. He's not some 5 year NHL veteran, he's essentially a rookie. So again, sign him to a cheap deal - $2-3MM tops. He doesn't sign, trade his rights or just let him walk. Go get one of the SHITLOAD of UFA goalies out there or make a deal for one of the RFAs to fill the gaps. Seriously, the Red Wings model of cheap goalies, expensive skaters seems to have worked out pretty well for them. Niemi proved that you only need to be good ENOUGH to win a Cup. I'm sure they would have won the Cup with Huet, Turco, Roloson, etc. It's all about the team in front of the goalie for the most part.

3. Remaining RFAs: Ladd, Eager, Fraser, Skille, Hendry - you can either qualify them and do a trade and sign or just straight up trade their rights - you'll get some decent picks in return. Or you qualify Skille and/or Fraser and keep him on the third/fourth line at around $1MM. Hendry is a cheap 6th/7th D-man who will sign for the qualifying offer in a winning situation - nobody is going to offer him real money.

4. Trade Versteeg, Huet, and Sopel for whatever you need to get in return - picks, prospects, role players that are under contract cheap. That alone clears up like $10-12MM as long as you don't take any big salary in return. Plenty of teams with a ton of cap room could bite. If necessary, trade YOUR picks/prospects to unload Huet.

So you're still left with:

Kane - Toews - Byfuglien

Hossa - Sharp - Kopecky

Skille - Bolland - Brouwer

Bickell - Dowell - Fraser

Keith - Seabrook

Campbell - Hjalmarsson

Hendry - ????

????

Niemi (or some suitable replacement) - Crawford

How different is that really from the current team? You lose Ladd, Versteeg, Madden, Sopel, and Huet - but they're replaced by equally capable players for the most part.

The only way I can imagine the Hawks even CONSIDERING trading Sharp if it was to somebody with one of the top draft picks this year - and that's pretty unlikely these days.

Also, I am aware Seabrook and Brouwer are RFAs coming up next year - however, the CBA will be over so we have NO idea what the cap will be, neither guy is arb eligible and again, if somebody tries to sign em to offer sheets, the Hawks can afford to let them go.

Finally, in regards to Campbell - there absolutely are teams that would love to have him. The Blackhawks didn't even offer him the most money when they signed him - Atlanta offered more and possibly even more years (believe it or not...). The rub is that they'd have to take at least some money back in the deal because the cap hit is so high. So a Campbell for Kaberle deal is not insane - there's no doubt Campbell is a very valuable player, he's just too expensive for the cap. But if you sweeten the deal with a Versteeg or high draft picks (which Toronto desperately needs) or something else, then that's a viable trade for sure.

Letting Ladd goes does nothing to help with cap relief. He just leaves a roster spot, so you're back to where you started, no net gain.

Versteeg has the team on the hook for 3.1 million. You get rid of him And you're right at the cap but now you have 13 players instead of 14 so you have to replace him. Assuming you do so with a player making the minimum that nets 2.5 million.

Again, same with Ladd, Madden isn't signed for next year so letting him go just leaves an empty roster spot you have to fill. Provides no cap relief whatsoever.

Sopel makes 2 million next year. Getting rid of him means a player to replace him so you net 1.5 million. You're up to netting yourself 4 million.

Assuming you can get someone to take Huet he grosses you 5.6 million in cap space. And lets say you replace Niemi with a player making what Crawford make, 850K. So that's a net gain for Huet of 4.8 million.

All told moving the players you mention nets Chicago 8.8 million. Meaning you're under the cap by a few million and you still need to fill out the roster by adding at least 6 players. And it also means, you have 2 goalies on payroll.

If you use all the money you've freed you're now talking about having issues, much like Calgary had, replacing injured players who aren't seriously injured. I believe its going to take moving another 4-5 million in salary to put the team in a manageable position. Sharp makes 4. Buf makes 3. Bolland makes 3.375. Personally, I think one of those guys has to move.

And I actually believe Campbell to be pretty much unmovable at this point. He hasn't produced up to his contract by a good amount. He's the third best defenseman on Chicago right now and he's getting paid like the second. Hell, he makes more money than Anze Kopitar, to name one player who's most certainly much better.

The first guy I wouldn't mind seeing go is Sopel. He's alright but takes penalties and mis-handles the puck a lot. I didn't think much of Buff until the playoffs. Now I think he's a must sign. Versteeg has hope. Madden was basically hired to be a locker room presence. Not sure how much that's worth. Eager is just a body out there for checking.

Our 4th line barely played the last few playoff series. I'm more worried about the following season then next season.

Axe him? He's a second year player eligible for arbitration who could possibly get $4MM if he wins. Hawks can't afford that and he's replaceable. If he wants to stay here, he'll sign a smaller deal. The market is what the market is and it works both ways - if he thinks he's worth more, he's welcome to refuse their offer and go to arbitration. At that point, though, if he wins they might let him walk. I don't think it'll come to that, but they can't afford more than $2.5-3MM for him.

I wasn't saying letting all the RFAs and UFAs go saves you money - but signing/trading the RFAs or simply trading their rights will net you draft picks, prospects, etc. which you can then use in other deals or use long-term to replace players.

If the Hawks are right around the cap right now (assuming it goes up a million or two), and they get rid of Huet, Versteeg, and Sopel($1MM total), and sign Niemi and Hjalmarsson for a combined total of $6MM on the cap (anything higher than $3MM for each guy, and I'm guessing they are letting them go) puts them at $53MM with 14 players signed (8 F, 4 D, 2 G). I'm pretty sure you can find 6 fill-in guys to fill out the 4th line and bottom D pairing (including guys like Boynton, Hendry, Fraser, Bickell, Dowell, etc. that'll all be near minimum signings.) for round $4-5MM depending on what the cap goes up to.

Given the lack of center depth the Hawks have, I can't imagine that an additional move would come in the form of moving Sharp or Bolland. I'd imagine Kopecky, Brouwer, Byfuglien would be moved first.

I think anybody who watched the Blackhawks with and without Brian Campbell this year (including other GMs, scouts, etc.) realizes how important he is to the team. Stupid contract or no, he's a valuable part of the team and there are tons of teams that would LOVE to get a puck-moving PP QB defenseman like that. Not a lot of D-men out there with that kind of speed or ability either. The Blackhawks looked like they were skating in mud when he was gone and they NEED somebody like that - whether he's a top 2 D-man or third D-man or whatever. I still think there are teams that would trade for them if it meant unloading some of their cap commitments in exchange as well.