NHL Discussion

Pretty worried about Pronger coming back. The team does not need him to beat the Sabres, without unloading from the point, he isn't going to contribute in terms of scoring on Miller, who stole the Sabres 2 wins. Plus, I don't trust a dude like Keleta to not take shots at his hand any chance he can, and Pronger being out in a deeper run.

so ive been bad-mouthing hockey quite a bit the last couple years.

and as a boston sports fan, its just natural that i hope for the best for the bruins.

so last night when i tuned in for OT, i really felt like an asshole.

there really isnt much in sports thats more exciting than playoff overtime- that was a fuckin blast.

i find the sport obnoxious. theres no such thing as a real possession, and no other sport features so much of players just aimlessly winging around the object in play. i enjoy a good highlight, and ive certainly found excitement in attending games in the past... but thats pretty much where it ends. really cant stand to watch more than a couple minutes at a time, because if i look away for 2 seconds, the puck can literally end up in the goal at the other end.

and while that may be similar in basketball, a breakaway dunk isnt quite the same as what could be the only scoring in a game.

Throwing the puck around the boards is similar to a downfield boot in soccer where you just send the ball to where you expect a teammate to be. Icing is the same as kicking it out of bounds in rugby or soccer, or punting in football or rugby. There's certainly possession, it's just faster than other sports.

The only valid point you have is that if you don't pay attention, you'll miss something good, but I personally see that as a positive rather than baseball or football where you can expect to look away for 30 seconds at a time and miss nothing. Or basketball where you'll miss something but it will happen at least 90 more times that game.

i had this discussion yesterday, and my friend brought up soccer. and i agree with it slightly, but its so much more abundant in hockey because of the boards.

i just think that with the pace and the amount of action, there simply isnt enough payoff on the scoreboards. like with baseball and football, scoring is generally a process.. a culmination of a series of events. and basketball is probably the most exciting sport scoring-wise, because its pretty much constant.

im probably rambling beyond my point, but its because im slowly responding while sitting around with my family and talking at the same time.

i guess for me to really enjoy hockey, scoring would have to be more on lacrosse's level.