NHL Discussion

I am unbelievably stoked for the game tonight. It looks like the Canucks will is broken and the fans are ready to turn on them as soon as Luongo lets up a soft goal. Without the crowd's energy and with the Bruins hitting them as hard as they have been, I see a B's win coming. It'd be amazing to have them win it all in Boston on Monday, but I'm trying not to count too many chicks before they hatch.

I am unbelievably stoked for the game tonight. It looks like the Canucks will is broken and the fans are ready to turn on them as soon as Luongo lets up a soft goal. Without the crowd's energy and with the Bruins hitting them as hard as they have been, I see a B's win coming. It'd be amazing to have them win it all in Boston on Monday, but I'm trying not to count too many chicks before they hatch.

opps ;) haha

Crazy good game tonight. Van was laying on some crazy hard hits.

I was in a damn CPR cert class and the instructor simply didn't care to hurry it up. I missed it all but was watching updates on my Gamecenter App and laughing at Luongo's expense.

I generally like Vancouver more, especially since they're kind of the Sabres' sister team, but I hate Luongo. His stupid flopping trying to draw penalties last year really put me off on him when I already didn't like him.

Meanwhile, I HATE Lucic and especially Chara on Boston, but Tim Thomas is someone you gotta love. Undrafted, Europe, minors, losing his starting spot, then being as dominant as he is with a GREAT spirit. Dude is the man.

Fuckin USA Hockey raised the checking age yesterday. Instead of being PeeWee, it's Bantam (a change from 12u up to 14u).

That's absolutely the wrong direction, and not for any "that's how I played the game!" bullshit reason, but because of logic.

Part of the reason they saw injuries in checking, which is part of the concern, is because you've got 11 and 12 year olds who are at developmentally different stages of growing and they're checking for the first time. Some kid who hit puberty is hitting a kid who looks like he's still 7 years old.

By moving the checking age UP, you now have everyone going through puberty so the game is bigger and faster. Now you're throwing checking in for the first time, so instead of kids stumbling around and hitting each other largely incorrectly but at a slower pace, you've got elbows and sticks coming up, checks from behind, and other illegal hits at a harder and faster pace, which is going to lead to more injuries.

The correct move should have been to move it DOWN to 10U. At 9 and 10 years old, no one is hitting puberty. The kids will learn how to check very early on in the skating careers and by the time they are big enough to hurt each other, they've learned how to check properly.

Whatever. Idiots.