NHL Discussion

So Carcillo taking that faceoff and attempting to injure Talbot wasn't being a goon?

cbc never showed a replay of it. so to be honest i haven't seen it and have avoided commenting about it. i just think it's funny writers still equate the flyers to the broad street bullies when they are so so far from it.

They might not be the Broad Street Bullies, but certain players give the Flyers a bad name, thus the comparisons continue.

The more I think about it, the more I think Brian Burke may just be able to make his way up to the #2 draft slot.

Think about it.

Tampa is a mess financially. That crazy free-agent spree Koules and Barry went on resulted in some pretty horrible contracts -- especially Ryan Malone's. Their defense would be hard pressed to keep pace with an OHL team, nevermind an NHL team.

Not to mention that Brian Lawton isn't the most seasoned of GM's. Actually, the top 3 picks are held by inexperienced GM's -- definitely an advantage to a schiester like Burke.

The Leafs have little in terms of roster assets, but have money to burn. They've saved tens of millions of dollars each year since the cap that thay normally would have spent and still been profitable. And they have a decent amount of cap space as well heading into free agency.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Burke offered up a defenseman like Kubina (and agreed to chew some salary), their 7th pick, and a treasure chest of cash for Tampa's #2 and Ryan Malone.

Then watch Burke throw money at Jay Bouwmeester and the Sedins.

The offseason in Toronto is looking to be more exciting than the season itself.

when i mention the pens tanking i'm talking about 2001-lockout.

they traded away any decent player they had for nothing, and rebuilt with first and 2nd overall picks, especially in a time where there was such great talent in the draft.

Sounds more like a decent plan than it does tanking, honestly. I would want my team to do that as opposed to eeking in the playoffs in the 7th or 8th seed with a bunch of veterans.

when i mention the pens tanking i'm talking about 2001-lockout.

they traded away any decent player they had for nothing, and rebuilt with first and 2nd overall picks, especially in a time where there was such great talent in the draft.

We traded away the likes of Jagr, Kovalev, etc... because we couldn't afford them. Hence the whole bankruptcy thing.

If I was a GM I just wouldn't answer Burke's calls are emails.

I wouldn't either, but you've got to hand it to the guy -- he gets things done.

Saw it first hand, I live in Orange County as a Kings' fan. He's definitely entertaining. He just doesn't have many chips to play. Otherwise I'd think the Kings might be prone to trade down to his spot and give him something to work with in our 5th pick.

there is a difference between a bad team playing hard and franchise giving up for half a decade.

the pens did what they had to do, that's fine, and they are going to be a good team for the next long while, but the way they got there is questionable from a competitive standpoint. The thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is that bettman and others say that they are a model franchise.

there is a difference between a bad team playing hard and franchise giving up for half a decade.

the pens did what they had to do, that's fine, and they are going to be a good team for the next long while, but the way they got there is questionable from a competitive standpoint. The thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is that bettman and others say that they are a model franchise.

Well Betteman is a bit of an idiot in a lot of regards and he's also a walking marketing firm. He learned well from Mr. Stern.

Except Bettman never said that the Pens were a "model franchise" -- The article you posted basically said, "Hey Islanders, Maple Leafs, Phoenix, keep your heads up, you can do this."

What is a model franchise?

I'd have to say Toronto, if I was either an owner or the league.

How can a team that sells every home ticket (and quite a few away tickets too) for the past 50 years not be some sort of model?

I think you make a pretty valid point. There are many interpretations of being a model franchise.

From a playing standpoint you can say Detroit and New Jersey.

From a historic standpoint you could pick Montreal or any of the other original 6.

The Maple Leafs for the reason above.

The Pens, Blackhawks, Capitals, and the Kings for being young franchises on the up.

Etc...

my view of a model franchise is a team that always makes money and puts a good product on the ice, or doesn't stay bad for long, and has a very loyal fanbase that was built up. which is why i mentioned who i mentioned.

regardless some great games tonight:

cbc is showing the montreal/b's game and the anahiem/sharks game. I can't wait for the late night action tonight. Is this the first all cali playoff series? I wish i could get the flames/hawks game on tv. i'd also like to see at least one BJ/wings game.

I'm going to start a new "column" of sorts on this board. I'll make periodic additions to this, the inaugural installment.

drabley's draft day diamonds (vol. 1)

Tomas Kaberle

Position: Defense

Draft year: 1996

Round: 8

Overall: 204

Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Nikolai Khabibulin

Position: Goaltender

Draft year: 1992

Round 9

Overall: 204

Team: Winnipeg Jets

Pavel Bure

Position: Right Wing

Draft Year: 1989

Round: 6

Overall: 113

Team: Vancouver Canucks

my view of a model franchise is a team that always makes money and puts a good product on the ice, or doesn't stay bad for long, and has a very loyal fanbase that was built up. which is why i mentioned who i mentioned.

regardless some great games tonight:

cbc is showing the montreal/b's game and the anahiem/sharks game. I can't wait for the late night action tonight. Is this the first all cali playoff series? I wish i could get the flames/hawks game on tv. i'd also like to see at least one BJ/wings game.

Fuck that. A model franchise wins Cups and keeps winning Cups. That alone will make sure everything else happens. Its a self-fulfilling prophecy: you win, people will come, you'll make gobs and gobs of money. Focus on winning and all your other issues take care of themself.

I'm going to start a new "column" of sorts on this board. I'll make periodic additions to this, the inaugural installment.

Three words: Robitaille, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg.

Didn't they win Crosby in the raffle after the lock-out? And didn't the GM do a horrible job in Syd's first year when he brought in a bunch of old, tired vets that did nothing? Seems pretty cut and dry. I don't really remember the Pens before the lockout.

seriously, how many people really do remember the Pens pre-lockout that aren't from Pittsburgh or western PA? Probably not that many, those were the dark ages for the Pens franchise... I doubt Brad knows much of anything about the Pens or the team of players they had pre lockout outside of reading wikipedia. So to say they tanked to get crosby... yeah, okay.

they tanked to get malkin, fluery, whitney, and even stall. crosby was gift wrapped to them.

i remember the pens pre-lockout because i've always been a flyers fan. they were a joke for half a decade. that's all i'm saying.