Against Me - New Wave question

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm just gonna say this: i didn't go into it expecting it to be RAR against me -- i think a lot of people did.

first 5 or 6 songs minus STOP, which is pretty goddamned awful albeit catchy, are good. not great. good. americans abroad is a good one too.

only songs i really don't like are - ocean, animal, stop and piss and vinegar. i just feel dirty when i listen to animal. not like sexual dirty. like, violated dirty.

at first i didnt like it but it sure has grown on me. it def. has its stand out tracks, while there are other tracks that i wish it didnt have, or that i always skip through.. the sound of the album gives off a stadium rock type tone, but there are def. still some against me tones to it. i read in an interview that Tom wanted this album to be the one that breaks them through into the mainstream, and I personally feel like it has succeed so far. It does suck now that they are on MTV as artist as the week, etc etc, and that they totally abandoned their initial views/roots. But then again, people change and they sure have gone a long way from dumpster diving for drum parts !

i'm just gonna say this: i didn't go into it expecting it to be RAR against me -- i think a lot of people did.

first 5 or 6 songs minus STOP, which is pretty goddamned awful albeit catchy, are good. not great. good. americans abroad is a good one too.

only songs i really don't like are - ocean, animal, stop and piss and vinegar. i just feel dirty when i listen to animal. not like sexual dirty. like, violated dirty.

ocean?

Ocean is def. a stand out track on that album, one of the strongest.

I read somewhere that Tom was coked up in France when he wrote that song..anyways, I dont think any of us expected this to be the next RAR. After "Dont Lose Touch" was released, and knew they were going for more of mainstream sound, and have totally out grew their original folk/punk sound from their earlier releases.

thrash unreal is one of the best pop songs of the last 5 years as far as im concerned... soooo good.

Perhaps only matched by Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been gone"

and Justin Timberlake's "Goes Around/Comes Around".

Say what you will but those songs a pop fucking gems.

dude, that JT song is just a cheap try at making another "Cry Me a River" - now THAT song is amazing....agreed on the since u been gone though

Perhaps only matched by Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been gone"

and Justin Timberlake's "Goes Around/Comes Around".

Say what you will but those songs a pop fucking gems.

dude, that JT song is just a cheap try at making another "Cry Me a River" - now THAT song is amazing....agreed on the since u been gone though

The difference is that "Goes Around" is encapsulated perfectly in a thematic album. "Cry Me a River" was a little too, "this is a song about Britteny fucking me over" but the whole last JT album flowed so well and seemed like such a complete piece of work that "Goes Around" comes off as the better song to me....I'm gonna stop before my wife becomes my beard.

ocean?

Ocean is def. a stand out track on that album, one of the strongest.

I read somewhere that Tom was coked up in France when he wrote that song..anyways, I dont think any of us expected this to be the next RAR. After "Dont Lose Touch" was released, and knew they were going for more of mainstream sound, and have totally out grew their original folk/punk sound from their earlier releases.

i agree, but what i was trying to say is that people expected too much out of it. this was the obvious direction against me was going to go in and i wish people would just accept it.

Anyone else think that New Wave was Against Me! getting their feet wet as far as really recording and everything goes and that their next record is going to be some epic modern day London Calling or something? Thats kinda where I see them going, but I could be wrong.

I really wouldn't be suprised. I think all their stuff is great even though it all sounds fairly different from each recored to the next.

The difference is that "Goes Around" is encapsulated perfectly in a thematic album. "Cry Me a River" was a little too, "this is a song about Britteny fucking me over" but the whole last JT album flowed so well and seemed like such a complete piece of work that "Goes Around" comes off as the better song to me....I'm gonna stop before my wife becomes my beard.

i havent actually listened to either album in whole, so ill give you this. But goddamn if Cry Me a River isnt the catchiest song known to man not sung by Kelly Clarkson.

Anyone else think that New Wave was Against Me! getting their feet wet as far as really recording and everything goes and that their next record is going to be some epic modern day London Calling or something? Thats kinda where I see them going, but I could be wrong.

Man, I hope so. I love everything AM! has ever done EXCEPT for New Wave. Hell, Searching is my favorite of their albums. But I was really disappointed in New Wave. Mostly the lyrics, I guess, but also there are just too many songs that I don't care for to make it worth listening to.

Personally, I'm hoping this is AM!'s "growing pains"