Ever feel like stopping record collecting?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest conoley

I have definitely slowed down a great deal. Not a lot of money these days. I only ever collected records the same way someone would CDs - never wanted to get entire collections. So it's not a matter of "stopping" it's one of not buying a lot of things at the moment.

The store I bought The Bends from only have like a week or two return policy and I did not listen to it for almost a month so I'm stuck with it. I also don't care about colors or variants, I just grab the one I want and am happy with that. The only collecting I do is one release of each release from certain bands and even that is expensive.

I've collected records on and off for the past 15 or more years. My interest in it wanes at times, however currently I'm going vinyl only and I'm looking to re-buy stuff I have on CD or that I've sold on vinyl over the years so I'll probably be steadfast into it for the foreseeable future.

Around 9 years ago I sold a large chunk of my collection to buy guitar gear, which was my main interest at the time. I don't regret doing it, but there are a lot of things I'll never be able to replace (because I'm not about to pay $100 for a record I sold for $5). At the time I had the same arguments against vinyl. CD's sounded better, they were easier to deal with, and by in large they were cheaper. Since I've bought a good turntable and stereo, I enjoy vinyl a lot more.

If your records sound terrible and skip, you more than likely have a problem with your turntable set up.

now, i am new to the 'game' if you will, but i really don't consider me buying records collecting. when i was buying cd's before college... i wasn't 'collecting'. now i have a job, and buying vinyl instead of cd's. so what im getting at is there will never be a point where i'll feel the need to 'stop.' i guess this applies to the variant collectors though. though the only set i own is old wounds.

Stop looking at it as a collection and just buy records. I think that if I worried about getting one of every color of some release like remains or some other ridiculously pressed album I'd give it up too. Not saying this is the boat you are in, but if I took as fanatically as some people do, I think I'd be too stressed out. Just buy a record when it comes out or you come across it in a store. If its on color, cool if not, no big deal.

I was just about to say that. I don't view buyings records as collecting per say, I look at it as buying music I love. Sure it's cool to have a limited colour, but it's nothing to pull your hair out over.

I look at my collection as a collection and as music. That's just the way I do it. I also only collect a few bands, but it still annoys me that I wasn't into collecting when the expensive records were pressed, mainly because I was like 10 years old back then........

I am a collector, I can't help but looking at records with collectors eyes. This mixed with my mind-numbingly impatience, is not very good.... :)

I agree with not worrying about getting every color, etc. But my problem right now it that the majority of the records I'm looking for right now have been OOP for 5+ years so any variant is somewhat tough to find.

That said, anyone with a copy of the Don Martin 3 12" hit me up and trade it to me!

Guest genericinsight

I've gone through many, many phases over the years where I slow down or stop buying and then I start up again. Until this year, I hadn't seriously bought any records in ridiculous amounts for a good two years or so.

I never get rid of my records during the downtime though.

lately, yeah. i hate that i just want to buy some records to have them. i know i don't need them, but i like to have them. there aren't too many upcoming records that i'm excited for, so thankfully i'm not worrying too much if i miss out on a preorder or whatever. i'm over variations, so that saves some money. i know i'm not as active or tenacious in tracking down variations, and i feel it's gonna stay that way. it'll be nice to buy some cds again and feel OK with that at some time. as long as they're cheap.

I'm with you Gabe...I have come across that feeling of wanting to get a record just to get it. It's an addiction.

Plus I will say this...I wholly blame VC for the 200% (guessing here) increase in my collection. There are sooooo many bands and records that I heard about here and I end up getting. Call it hype or what you will...it started here...

I've been buying/collecting records since i was 15 or so, which is a looong time ago. When I was a kid, the CD had not been invented yet (yes, I'm old) so I basically grew up with vinyl and tapes.

The first "good" record I bought was the Agent Orange - "Living In Darkness" LP which I still own and listen to every once in a while. Then came CDs, I thought CDs were cool. I stopped buying vinyl and bought CDs instead. A good three months later I realized that CDs were not as cool as I thought and started buying vinyl again.

Luckily I was able to convince some of my friends to trade the CDs I had bought for the respective vinyl version and as such got rid of most of the CDs I had in my possession. Since that day I don't buy CDs anymore unless I absolutely have to and I'm pretty sure that will never change. CDs just don't do it for me for reasons I think I don't have to explain here, do I?

So will I ever stop collecting records? No, because I don't collect records. I buy them and listen to them and if I don't like them they will be most likely collecting dust on my shelf or better yet end up on ebay or as present for somebody who enjoys the music more than I do.

I'm with you Gabe...I have come across that feeling of wanting to get a record just to get it. It's an addiction.

Plus I will say this...I wholly blame VC for the 200% (guessing here) increase in my collection. There are sooooo many bands and records that I heard about here and I end up getting. Call it hype or what you will...it started here...

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

I will say that a lot of collections here are out of hand. Trying to collect every variant of a release from every band ever is a fast track to burning out on your hobby.

I used to only buy first pressings of records. I would never touch a reissue. Now I'm the biggest fan.

Guest genericinsight

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

I will say that a lot of collections here are out of hand. Trying to collect every variant of a release from every band ever is a fast track to burning out on your hobby.

I used to only buy first pressings of records. I would never touch a reissue. Now I'm the biggest fan.

I agree. This is why I've slowed down working on my band specific collections.