Ever feel like stopping record collecting?

Guest genericinsight
ive seriously considered slowing down on the variants, at least for most of the bands i "collect"

I've mainly done it because I've found it increasingly difficult to track down some variants, and I'd rather spend money on records I don't already own right now.

Which isn't to say I'm never going to attempt to get my band specific collections going again, just putting them on hold for now.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started in april with buying vinyl, so I don't think I'll stop anytime soon. Prior to that, all the vinyl I had came with preorders or were gifts.

My reissue of OK Computer doesnt skip, but is noticeably warped and you can hear it on the record when the needle passes over the warp during quiet passages. It's the first time i've seen a 180g record warped.

it's hard to slow down or stop when you are trying to collect a specific band (like, let's say, alkaline trio) and they're coming out with ALLLLLLL of this shit right now. and you have to choose "do i get it all right now at retail price from virgil, or do i make a stand and say 'fuck this' and then two years from now want it again and have to pay double, triple, or more on eBay?"

it sucks, but i always choose "buy it now" instead of "regret it later". i don't see this changing anytime soon, unless i seriously have zero dollars.

I think about it a lot, I'm totally out of storage space (and I doubt it'd be worth my while in time/postage to sell records given where I live), and with the drop in the Aus dollar and the increased price of credit it's getting harder to justify the expense. That said, buying records is an addiction that I'm struggling to break. There are always things I want and it's nice to have a tangible form of your favorite albums to care for and keep. I'm slowing down on buying though, and ditching the idea of 'collections'.

I sometimes think "why do I really need the same record on diferent colours??" Plus it's quite exspensive for me casue I live in a small town everything is bought via mail order. It's great getting parcels in the mail though - just like christmas.

Times are tough at the moment though - currently pulling back on what i'm buying.

if anyone decides to stop collecting and has some sigur ros records they would like to unload, i'm willing to take them off their hands for a decent price.

I also agree about the thrill/happiness of scoring a find. Maaaan that's such a great feeling.

I guess what i would suggest is not to stop, just slow down. Cause if you stop and you realize it was a mistake, then there was time wasted. Hopefully i'm not repeating what someone already said, cause i really didnt read most of this thread.

Stop looking at it as a collection and just buy records. I think that if I worried about getting one of every color of some release like remains or some other ridiculously pressed album I'd give it up too. Not saying this is the boat you are in, but if I took as fanatically as some people do, I think I'd be too stressed out. Just buy a record when it comes out or you come across it in a store. If its on color, cool if not, no big deal.

I was just about to say that. I don't view buyings records as collecting per say, I look at it as buying music I love. Sure it's cool to have a limited colour, but it's nothing to pull your hair out over.

I agree.. I can never stop listening to music and I don't see it as collecting.

• 1 month later...

I am not innocent of variant hunting, though it's really specifically for one band, and I've never pursued it like most. In my eyes, I can still have a "complete" collection by just having one of each release from a band. Variations look nice, but I don't really need them.

I'm not a fan of "flipping" as they say, but I do occasionally buy variations with the intention of selling them in the back of my mind. But as dumb as it sounds, I can never bring myself to doing so. I mean I've got a dozen or so albums off the top of my head I really don't like/need that were either bought impulsively, or just know they'd fetch decent cash. The money wouldn't hurt, yet I can't bring myself to listing them on eBay. No clue why.

I find it incredibly stupid when people don't buy something, simply because they think they'd all of the sudden be required to hunt down every single release/variation of that particular band, just because they bought one record. (Heard it a few times on this board about Hot Water Music in particular)

My post was all over the place.