• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest genericinsight
Why be so militant about it?

I'm not militant about it, at all.

Personally, my reasons for being edge/not drinking extend a bit further than just "I have no desire to try it", but the reasons are just that - personal. I'd rather not share it here.

Guest genericinsight

Not to be a dick as I enjoy caffeine quite a bit but it is, technically, a drug. A legal drug but by definition it's impact on the human body is just as (for lack of a real term) drug-like as alcohol or marijuana, some would argue worse.

Not trying to start a fight, and maybe you're not "hardcore edge" but I've never understood how real "super edge" folks consume caffeine (I'm looking at your Russ Rankin).

Yeah. While I wouldn't really compare caffeine to alcohol or marijuana since they fall under different classifications (alcohol=sedative, marijuana is kind of its own class), I agree with your premise.

If you really want to compare caffeine, you'd have to compare it another stimulant like cocaine or amphetamines. They're all stimulants and are not dissimilar in how they effect your body (brain, nervous system) or alter your consciousness. Caffeine is just a weaker stimulant compared to the other two, and of course, regulated for safe use.

I would argue however that caffeine has just as much an abuse potential. Most people don't realize that you can overdose on caffeine just like you can on cocaine or amphetamines. Last I looked at figures (which was a couple years ago), there was about 1000 caffeine overdoses on average a year. It's rare to overdose on caffeine by drinking it though, the majority of those occur by abuse of things like diet pills.

Decaf coffee + decaf soda = FTW

However, caffeine (when I do consume caffeinated beverages), actually has an opposite affect on me than most people. It makes me tired rather than wires me up so I am in no way addicted to it.

i have had both, went edge when i was 23

Not to be a dick as I enjoy caffeine quite a bit but it is, technically, a drug. A legal drug but by definition it's impact on the human body is just as (for lack of a real term) drug-like as alcohol or marijuana, some would argue worse.

Not trying to start a fight, and maybe you're not "hardcore edge" but I've never understood how real "super edge" folks consume caffeine (I'm looking at your Russ Rankin).

Don't look at Russ Rankin like that! He'll destroy you!

scott you may want to give hoegaarden a try...its right on par with what youve had, if you have it in a bar they will put a lemon wedge on the rim and it can totally enhance the flavor.

Better with an orange instead of a lemon, but I don't really like this beer too much...

The Grog Shop has this, so Scott should consume one next time he is there.

Why be so militant about it?

Personally, my reasons for being edge/not drinking extend a bit further than just "I have no desire to try it", but the reasons are just that - personal. I'd rather not share it here.

See those reasons are fine, its just that a great deal of the straight edgers that i've met come as narrow minded judgemental elitists. and everytime i've tried to get a reason as to whats wrong with drinking in moderation? i get stonewalled or called a pussy or whatever reason they can come up with.

Its the self righteousness of a lot of them. thats what bugs me about a lot of them, and i DO have straight edge friends and i do respect their choice, why can't most straight edgers respect someones choice to drink in moderation? notice i said in moderation. drinking to excess is not cool. But if i have a few beers with my friend or at the metal show, whats wrong with that?

Guest genericinsight

See those reasons are fine, its just that a great deal of the straight edgers that i've met come as narrow minded judgemental elitists. and everytime i've tried to get a reason as to whats wrong with drinking in moderation? i get stonewalled or called a pussy or whatever reason they can come up with.

Its the self righteousness of a lot of them. thats what bugs me about a lot of them, and i DO have straight edge friends and i do respect their choice, why can't most straight edgers respect someones choice to drink in moderation? notice i said in moderation. drinking to excess is not cool. But if i have a few beers with my friend or at the metal show, whats wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that, at all.

In fact, in some cases I've found the people that preach/make asshole comments the most are usually the ones that become alcoholics or heroin addicts somewhere down the line.

why do so many people care that one individual started drinking?

As you can see this has turned into a debate about drinking, not just about Scott drinking. Plus a few of us gave him a few pointers. Not to mention so people are saying that not everyone drinks to get wasted, rather for social or casual reasons.

I didn't start drinking until college. I just never had any desire to in high school (plus I wasn't cool enough to get invited to parties/terrified my parents would catch me and then execute me). I really enjoy drinking. It's nice to sit around with a few friends and have a couple of drinks.

I looooooooooooooooooove me some vodka drinks. And I loooooooooooooooooooooooove me some wine too. I enjoy most liquors actually. Can't say I'm much of a beer drinker though. I'm a super beer rookie. I can count the different types of beer I've tried on one hand. I've only liked two of those beers. Bud Light Lime (tooootal chick beer which is fine because I am one) and Blue Moon pumpkin ale. None of my other friends are really beer drinkers, so they don't really have much suggestions.

Though my new roommate swears by Hoegarden. I might have to steal one.

I didn't start drinking until college. I just never had any desire to in high school (plus I wasn't cool enough to get invited to parties/terrified my parents would catch me and then execute me). I really enjoy drinking. It's nice to sit around with a few friends and have a couple of drinks.

I looooooooooooooooooove me some vodka drinks. And I loooooooooooooooooooooooove me some wine too. I enjoy most liquors actually. Can't say I'm much of a beer drinker though. I'm a super beer rookie. I can count the different types of beer I've tried on one hand. I've only liked two of those beers. Bud Light Lime (tooootal chick beer which is fine because I am one) and Blue Moon pumpkin ale. None of my other friends are really beer drinkers, so they don't really have much suggestions.

Though my new roommate swears by Hoegarden. I might have to steal one.

do it its like, the best beer ever. well in my opinion.

Any particular reason why you decided to start drinking after not doing so for years?

I always am curious about this. I'm 27 and just have no desire to drink whatsoever, at all, so I'm always interested in what people who once never did have the motivations to start doing so.

I'd never had a drink in my entire life. Not once. And my girlfriend and I recently took a vacation to Sonoma, California, which is wine country (we went there for a wedding), and we went on all these wedding-party wine-tasting tours and I continually abstained, and after a while, it just seemed kinda silly because there was really no real reason for me not to try it. I ended up not drinking at all when we were out there, but my girlfriend did buy a nice bottle of wine while we were there to have for our anniversary a few weeks later. She opened it and poured me a glass; I kinda looked at it for a while and then figured "What the hell," and took a swig.

Shockingly, the end of the world did not come.

I don't know what I expected to happen, but nothing bad came from it. I enjoyed the taste, and it was something my girlfriend and I were able to share to be closer with each other.

Since then, I certainly haven't gone out of my way to drink, but as I mentioned before, I tried a sip of her beer the last time we were out, and then on Friday, I was at a show with a whole bunch of co-workers and we all went to a swanky wine bar next door afterward just to hang out, and I felt so comfortable with everyone that I thought I'd give it a try for real. I ended up really enjoying it,

Am I going to drink a 24-pack of PBR every single day? God, no. But if I'm in a comfortable environment with friends, I'll probably order something as I'll feel safe. My biggest worry in college about drinking was I'd go to parties and see guys my size get totally wasted and then just start pawing girls. That freaked me out, and I definitely never wanted to be someone like that. But now I'm older, and I understand that having a drink definitely doesn't get you drunk, and when you're with friends, it only really enhances the experience.

Wow, I just wrote a lot.

This is very much like my first time drinking when I turned 21. I never had any desire to, but was constantly in situations where it was almost weird not to drink. I finally decided that I didn't really have a reason not to at least try it and I found I like as well.

Scott, if and when we meet for the Baroness show, I'll buy you a beer. Cheers!